TI Effortless Endurance & Smart Speed Freestyle Workshop:
Las Vegas/Henderson, NV - May 11-12, 2019
TUITION: $495/person, $445/person if 2-3 register & pay together. Discounts available for LVTC and HPAC clubs. $225 for Smart Speed Sunday Refresher course.
CONTACT: For more information, please contact TI Coach Stuart McDougal 818-406-4213, firstname.lastname@example.org
DESCRIPTION: This clinic is appropriate for any ability level with a reasonable level of comfort in the water. We often have newer swimmers learning at the same time as veteran triathletes improve their speed and efficiency, and the TI foundation allows all swimmers to progress together.
LEVEL 1 - EFFORTLESS ENDURANCE - For the TI foundation- drills and skills to correct all of the stroke faults and habits that keep athletes from swimming smoothly without effort. We’ll get and in-depth progression towards a stroke the offers continuing possibilities for improvement, and move through skill work to finish the day finding efficient, effortless stroke segments. You'll learn:
1. Cooperate with Gravity - Most swimmers fight gravity trying to stay on top of the water. We teach you to find your
natural equilibrium by sinking into weightlessness. Learning to relax into the water breaks the “survival- stroking” cycle, and
frees your arms and legs for their best use. Besides, gravity is a powerful natural force; doesn’t it make more sense to use it
than fight it?
2. Take the Path of Least Resistance - Once you understand that you must swim through the water — and mindful that
water is almost 800 times denser than air — it’s logical to focus more on how well you streamline than how you pull and
kick. We’ll teach you to shape yourself to cut through the water like a torpedo by alternating a right-side-streamline with a
left-side-streamline. Each stroke will move you farther and faster with less effort.
3. Swim with your Body - Traditional thinking about swimming treats the body as having an “arms department” that pulls
you forward and a “legs department” that pushes you forward. In Fishlike Freestyle, you swim with your whole body,
instead of your arms and legs. We’ll teach you to propel with a simple 2-beat kick, relaxed and rhythmic weight shifts, rather
than arm-and-leg churning.
4. Breathe Easy - We’ll also teach you about breathing easily as you swim. No more breathlessness, no worries about
choking. The air is free, take all you need.
LEVEL 2 - SMART SPEED - We’ll Transform your freestyle. Develop a stroke that is faster, easier, and more efficient for the long haul. Swim faster with smarter choices, instead of greater effort. You'll learn:
1. Swimming ‘Gears’, Learn your own best swimming gears . . . like those on a bicycle. Change speeds simply by adding a stroke to your count. Discover your best range of 3 stroke counts for this skill, and practice using them with expert guidance.
2. The Magic of Tempo A Tempo Trainer is an improvement-minded swimmer’s best friend. Use it to make striking gains in efficiency--then convert that efficiency into more speed. Sometimes in 15 minutes or less and with an ease that will surprise you.
3. The Math of Speed The equation Stroke Length x Stroke Rate (SL x SR) is the only exact and guaranteed predictor of how fast you’ll swim. Learn simple exercises and formulas for creating and solving speed problems. Also learn the combination of SPL+Tempo that precisely matches your present level of skill and fitness.
SCHEDULE: Our schedule will be as follows (subject to minor revision):
09:00 am - 10:00 am - Orientation dryland rehearsals
10:00 am - 12:00 pm - Pool session 1 – first filming, group instruction
12:00 pm - 01:00 pm - Lunch
01:00 pm - 03:00 pm Pool session 2 - group instruction
12:00 pm - 01:00 pm - Classroom, dryland rehearsals
01:00 pm - 02:30 pm - Pool session 3 - group instruction, filming
02:30 pm - 03:30 pm - Classroom, video review
03:30 pm - 04:30 pm - Pool session 4 - group instruction, final filming
04:30 pm - 05:15 pm - Classroom wrap up, final video review
WHAT TO BRING:
For the classroom: Pad and pen for note taking.
For the pool: An extra suit and towel if you want dry ones for the afternoon swim, an extra pair of goggles. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge.
Best to bring bag lunch and drink, break will be around 45 mins. There is a snack bar at the aquatics complex and there are a few places within short driving distance of the pool.
LODGING: There are several options available near Heritage Park Aquatic Complex. Check with hotels.com and/or googlemaps.com for hotels near 310 S. Racetrack Rd., Henderson, NV 89015. Most hotels in the area accept AAA member discount.
CANCELLATIONS: Weekend workshops: NO REFUND will be issued for cancellations LESS THAN 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop unless a doctor’s note can be provided. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, any monies paid above the $250 deposit will be refunded in full. The $250 deposit per person remains non-refundable, but may be transferred to any future workshop within one year of initial registration.
TRANSFERS: Weekend workshops: If a request to transfer is received 8 days or more prior to the workshop, a $100.00 transfer fee per person will be applied to a future workshop, and the deposit will be credited toward that workshop.