- Title: TI Effortless Endurance Weekend Freestyle Workshop: Santa Fe, NM
- When: 08.09.2022 - 08.10.2022
- Where: Santa Fe Community College - Santa Fe
- Category: Level 1: Freestyle Workshop
August 9 & 10, 2022
William Witter Fitness Education Center on the campus of Santa Fe Community College located at 6401 Richards Ave. Santa Fe, NM 87508.
$595.00/person for both (2) days, $300/ person for one day. Day 1 - Fundamentals, Day 2 - Effortless Propulsion
Discounts available for Santa Fe Community College students and faculty or discounts available for 2 or more people signing up at the same time. Contact email@example.com
: Credit Card. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
CONTACT: For more information please contact Denise Edkins at 800-609-7946 x3 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE COACHES: This is a fantastic opportunity to be coached by Master Coach Todd Erickson (click on his name to see his full bio). Todd resides in South Central Texas, and his philosophy is to help anyone learn to swim more efficiently, effectively and effortlessly, so that all may have the life skill of swimming -- because "Swimming is life!" And now Todd will be joined by TI Founder and Master Coach Alice Laughlin (Terry Laughlin's wife!! - click on her name to see more). Alice and Terry Laughlin are also the creators of the New Paltz Total Immersion Swim Studio. Together the Laughlin family is celebrating 30 years of transforming the way swimming is taught and learned to all ages and abilities from beginners to adults, and even elite athletes. Also we welcome Total Immersion Level 1 Certified Coach, Tomas Duran, who is joining us for the first time as an "official" TI coach.
DESCRIPTION: This two-day course takes you through all the Total Immersion drills and numerous strategies for full stroke mechanics resulting in a freestyle that is faster, easier, and more efficient for the long haul. Numerous video sessions will be uploaded for free to Dropbox for your viewing after the clinic, including instructor narration to remind you of your strengths and opportunities for improvement. This workshop will be led by TI Coaches Todd Erickson, Alice Laughlin and Tomas Duran.
This clinic is appropriate for any ability level with a reasonable comfort in the water.
Day 1 - Effortless Endurance Fundamentals: for the TI foundation- drills and skills to correct all of the stroke faults and habits that keep athletes from swimming smoothly without effort. We’ll get an in-depth progression towards a stroke that offers continuing possibilities for improvement, and move through skill work to finish the day finding efficient, effortless stroke segments.
Day 2 - Effortless Propulsion: With the foundation established on day 1, we’ll continue fine-tuning skill sets in breathing, two beat kick, propulsion, recovery, and more. We’ll film from multiple angles above and underwater in both pool sessions, so there will be extensive video analysis and post-workshop focus lists for each swimmer.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN: The best way to increase your endurance or speed is to reduce energy waste when swimming. Using the Total Immersion methodology, we will help you better understand how swimming front crawl works and how to practice in order to develop an efficient stroke. During the workshop you'll learn about and develop the foundation skills of effortless swimming:
• BALANCE AND STABILITY - Feeling balanced and stable in the water transforms your swimming experience; learn how to work with the water not against it.
• STREAMLINING - Learn to push forwards through water by streamlining your body; once you are streamlined, much less effort is required to swim through it. Water is 800 times thicker than air after all.
• WHOLE BODY PROPULSION - Propel yourself forwards through the water using your core and channeling energy forwards using natural weight shifts; rather than the traditional notion of pulling backwards, we focus on driving forwards and merely using the leading arm and hand as an anchor to move our body past.
• BREATHING AND BREATH MANAGEMENT - We will help you understand how to breathe naturally in the water and learn how and when to turn the head with body rotation and time the breath so that it is integrated into the stroke. We understand breathing is an issue for a lot of people and make sure we apportion plenty of time for you to work on this vital part of the stroke.
• SIGHTING - We also introduce you to the technique of this essential skill for open water swimming.
• VIDEO ANALYSIS - We use video short from above and below the water to help you better understand your stroke and the things you need to practice to improve moving forwards. This video is reviewed during the day and the final video is sent to you with analysis to review when you get home.
(Subject to minor revisions)
09:00 am - Check-in
09:00 am - 10:30 am - Orientation and foundational instruction (in the classroom)
10:30 am - 12:30 pm - 1st underwater videotaping and group instruction in the pool
12:30 pm - 01:30 pm - Lunch (Bring a bag lunch or carryout nearby.)
01:30 pm - 03:00 pm - Classroom workshop and review of video #1
03:00 pm - 05:00 pm - Group instruction in the pool and 2nd underwater videotaping
08:00 am - 10:00 am - Group instruction in the pool and 3rd underwater videotaping
10:00 am - 11:00 am - Classroom workshop and review of videos 2 and 3
11:00 am - 12:00 pm - Lunch (Bring a bag lunch or carryout nearby.)
12:00 pm - 01:30 pm - Group instruction in the pool and 4th underwater videotaping
01:30 pm - 03:00 pm - Classroom wrap-up
A pen/notebook or your favorite note taking device.
An extra suit & towel if you want dry ones for the afternoon swim (we recommend), a swim cap (one will be provided), an extra pair of goggles. Flip flops or waterproof shoes. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge. Something warm to wear after the swim. A water bottle and light lunch and/or snacks.
No refund will be issued for cancellations less than 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, any monies paid above the $100 deposit will be refunded in full. The $100 deposit per person remains non-refundable, but may be transferred to any future workshop within one year of initial registration. A transfer fee of $100 will apply.
- Venue: Santa Fe Community College
- City: Santa Fe
- State: NM