- Title: TI Effortless Endurance & Smart Speed Freestyle Workshop: Atlanta, GA
- When: 12.14.2019 - 12.15.2019
- Where: Sheffield Pool, Mercer University - Atlanta
- Category: Level 1 and 2: Freestyle Workshop
December 14-15, 2019
TUITION: Register for ONE or both classes. Save $95 on when you register for both classes!
Effortless Endurance ($295); Smart Speed ($295); Full Weekend ($495).
PAYMENT TYPE: Online, credit card or personal check
REGISTRATION: CLICK HERE to register
ABOUT THE COACH: TI Senior Coach Gary Fahey teaches swimming full time through his Fort Lauderdale-based company, Stroke Doctor Swimming. In 20 years coaching competitive swimmers he has qualified athletes up to the US Olympic Trials level. Gary currently leads Total Immersion freestyle and four-stroke workshops and has been a TI coach since 1998. South Florida’s “Stroke Doctor,” Gary helps multi-sport athletes, novice swimmers (children & adults), competitive swimmers and military personnel build and perfect their skills.
DESCRIPTION: Effortless Endurance (Day 1 - Level 1) - Learn the core TI stroke mechanics that have transformed thousands. Effortless Endurance sets the table for efficient swimming by developing proper alignment and balance in the water. This builds a reliable foundation upon which we add core rotation, proper limb orientation/movements, and breathing skills. Our carefully planned learning sequences ensure you’ll make near-instant progress. In only one day we guarantee you’ll walk out a better, smarter swimmer. As with all of our courses, the coaches are in the water with you providing hands on help and video feedback. You'll learn:
1. Cooperate with Gravity - Most swimmers fight gravity trying to stay on top of the water. We teach you to find your natural equilibrium by sinking into weightlessness. Learning to relax into the water breaks the “survival- stroking” cycle, and frees your arms and legs for their best use. Besides, gravity is a powerful natural force; doesn’t it make more sense to use it than fight it?
2. Take the Path of Least Resistance - Once you understand that you must swim through the water — and mindful that water is almost 800 times denser than air — it’s logical to focus more on how well you streamline than how you pull and kick. We’ll teach you to shape yourself to cut through the water like a torpedo by alternating a right-side-streamline with a left-side-streamline. Each stroke will move you farther and faster with less effort.
3. Swim with your Body -
Traditional thinking about swimming treats the body as having an “arms
department” that pulls you forward and a “legs department” that pushes you forward. In
Fishlike Freestyle, you swim with your whole body, instead of your
arms and legs. We’ll teach you to propel with a simple 2-beat kick, relaxed and
rhythmic weight shifts, rather than arm-and-leg
4. Breathe Easy - We’ll also teach you about breathing easily as you swim. No more breathlessness, no worries about choking. The air is free, take all you need.
DESCRIPTION: Smart Speed (Day 2 - Level 2) refines the mechanics learned on Saturday with clear practice strategies to consolidate the various stroke components into effective whole stroke swimming. Learn to structure your pool sessions and build efficiency-reinforcing focal points into every lap, making every practice an investment in skill acquisition, endurance and speed. We’ll dive into the metrics of tempo and stroke length to teach you how to generate and sustain velocity. Smart Speed is the perfect follow up to Effortless Endurance. It is strongly recommended students attend both classes in the same weekend.
2. The Magic of a Tempo Trainer is an
improvement-minded swimmer’s best friend. Use it to make striking gains in
efficiency--then convert that efficiency into more speed. Sometimes in 15 minutes or less
and with an ease that will surprise you.
3. The Math of Speed The
equation Stroke Length x Stroke Rate (SL x SR) is the only exact and guaranteed
predictor of how fast you’ll swim. Learn simple exercises and formulas for
creating and solving speed problems. Also learn the combination of SPL+Tempo
that precisely matches your present level of skill and fitness
Who will benefit from this workshop?
• New swimmers who want to develop great habits (but can swim 50m front crawl unaided).
• Triathletes looking to improve their stroke, reduce their swim times and save energy.
• Self-coached swimmers who would like expert assessment and advice.
• Long-time swimmers who find themselves stuck on a plateau or who have lost motivation.
• Open Water swimmers looking to make their stroke more efficient.
SCHEDULE: Subject to minor revision
Saturday Effortless Endurance
10:00 am - 11:00 am Classroom
11:00 am - 01:00 pm Pool Session 1 / Videotape
01:00 pm - 02:30 pm Classroom / Lunch (please bring a lunch) & Video analysis
02:30 pm - 04:00 pm Pool / Videotape
04:00 pm – 05:00 pm Classroom / Video Review
Sunday Smart Speed
09:00 am - 10:00 am Classroom
10:00 am - 12:00 pm Pool Session 1 / Training w Focal Points & Tempo Trainers
12:00 pm - 01:30 pm Classroom / Video Analysis / Lunch
01:30 pm - 03:15 pm Pool Session 2 / Swimming Metrics
03:15 pm - 04:00 pm Classroom / Video Review / Wrap Up
WHAT TO BRING:
FOR THE CLASSROOM: Pad and pen/device for note taking. All video files shot during the class will be uploaded to DropBox and available for viewing/downloading. Please pack a lunch for Saturday and Sunday. There is a limited selection of snacks and beverages in vending machines. Bagels and coffee provided.
FOR THE POOL: This is an indoor pool. Please have at least one swimsuit (extra dry swimsuits are helpful), towel, goggles and swim cap (helpful, not mandatory.) If you own a Finis Tempo Trainer, please bring it. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge.
DIRECTIONS: For maps/detailed directions please enter the following address into your vehicle’s navigation system: 3001 Mercer University Dr, Atlanta, GA 30341. We will email you a campus map to help you locate the pool.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Please contact Gary Fahey at email@example.com for suggestions on hotel accommodation.
TRANSFER / CANCELLATION POLICY: If a request to transfer is received 8 days or more prior to the workshop, a $100.00 transfer fee per person will be applied to a future workshop, and tuition fee will be applied to that workshop. NO REFUND will be issued for cancellations LESS THAN 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop unless a doctor’s note can be provided. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, participants have the option of transferring to another workshop ($100.00 transfer fee) or a 50% refund ($250). Please contact Gary Fahey directly to discuss details and options
- Venue: Sheffield Pool, Mercer University
- City: Atlanta
- State: GA