TI Effortless Endurance & Smart Speed Freestyle Workshop
San Francisco/San Mateo, CA: December 15-16, 2018
NOTE: Please park in the Beethoven lot across from the Health and Wellness Center
The pool is a comfortable 86-88 degrees, perfect for detailed instruction and filming
TUITION: $495.00/person, $445.00/person if 2-3 register & pay together.
One-day options are available, including refreshers for returning students, and students may choose to do day 1 in
one weekend, and day 2 in another weekend later in the year.
Discounts available for SVTC. SFTC, and GGTC, other groups are welcome to inquire for team sponsorships.
PAYMENT: Credit Card
DESCRIPTION: This clinic is appropriate for any ability level with a reasonable level of comfort in the water. We often have newer swimmers learning at the same time as veteran triathletes improve their speed and efficiency, and the TI foundation allows all swimmers to progress together.
LEVEL 1 - EFFORTLESS ENDURANCE - For the TI foundation- drills and skills to correct all of the stroke faults and habits that keep athletes from swimming smoothly without effort. We’ll get and in-depth progression towards a stroke the offers continuing possibilities for improvement, and move through skill work to finish the day finding efficient, effortless stroke segments. You'll learn:
1. Cooperate with Gravity - Most swimmers fight gravity trying to stay on top of the water. We teach you to find your natural
equilibrium by sinking into weightlessness. Learning to relax into the water breaks the “survival- stroking” cycle, and frees
your arms and legs for their best use. Besides, gravity is a powerful natural force; doesn’t it make more sense to use it than
2. Take the Path of Least Resistance - Once you understand that you must swim through the water — and mindful that
water is almost 800 times denser than air — it’s logical to focus more on how well you streamline than how you pull and
kick. We’ll teach you to shape yourself to cut through the water like a torpedo by alternating a right-side-streamline with a
left-side-streamline. Each stroke will move you farther and faster with less effort.
3. Swim with your Body - Traditional thinking about swimming treats the body as having an “arms department” that pulls
you forward and a “legs department” that pushes you forward. In Fishlike Freestyle, you swim with your whole body, instead
of your arms and legs. We’ll teach you to propel with a simple 2-beat kick, relaxed and rhythmic weight shifts, rather than
4. Breathe Easy - We’ll also teach you about breathing easily as you swim. No more breathlessness, no worries about
choking. The air is free, take all you need.
LEVEL 2 - SMART SPEED - We’ll Transform your freestyle. Develop a stroke that is faster, easier, and more efficient for the long haul. Swim faster with smarter choices, instead of greater effort. You'll learn:
1. Swimming ‘Gears’, Learn your own best swimming gears . . . like those on a bicycle. Change speeds simply by adding a stroke to your count. Discover your best range of 3 stroke counts for this skill, and practice using them with expert guidance.
2. The Magic of Tempo A Tempo Trainer is an improvement-minded swimmer’s best friend. Use it to make striking gains in efficiency--then convert that efficiency into more speed. Sometimes in 15 minutes or less and with an ease that will surprise you.
3. The Math of Speed The equation Stroke Length x Stroke Rate (SL x SR) is the only exact and guaranteed predictor of how fast you’ll swim. Learn simple exercises and formulas for creating and solving speed problems. Also learn the combination of SPL+Tempo that precisely matches your present level of skill and fitness.
SCHEDULE: Our schedule will be as follows (subject to minor revision):
*** Please note this workshop will be held outdoors ***
09:00 - Check-in in classroom
09:00 - 10:00 Orientation and foundational instruction (in the classroom)
10:00 - 12:00 1st underwater videotaping and group instruction in the pool. (outdoor pool)
12:00 - 01:00 Lunch
01:00 - 02:30 Classroom workshop and review of video #1
02:30 - 04:30 Group instruction in the pool (outdoor pool)
08:15 - 09:00 Video review in classroom
09:00 - 10:30 Group instruction in the pool., 3rd underwater taping
10:30 - 11:30 Video review and Q&A in classroom
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch
12:30 - 02:00 Group instruction in the pool and 4th underwater videotaping
02:00 - 02:30 Classroom wrap-up and review of video #4
WHAT TO BRING:
For the classroom: Medical Release form & Easy Freestyle Users Guide sent to you on registration
For the pool: An extra suit & towel if you want dry ones for the afternoon swim, an extra pair of goggles – mirrored goggles are best, but tinted would be good, too. Waterproof sun block, rash guard or sun shirt (if you burn easily), SPF lip protection. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge.
For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, a 50% refund can be provided or a transfer to a later workshop with MBS is available. Cancellations within 8 days can be transferred to another person but not refunded.
No refund will be issued for cancellations less 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop.