- Title: TI Effortless Endurance Weekend Freestyle Workshop: New York City (Queens), NY
- When: 07.09.2022 - 07.10.2022
- Where: St Sebastian’s Center Pool - Woodside (Queens)
- Category: Level 1: Freestyle Workshop
LOCATION: St Sebastian’s Pool 39-60 57th St Woodside NY (Queens). CLICK HERE to see map (listed as St. Sebastians Parish Center).
TUITION: $595.00/person. *PLEASE NOTE: Students must have basic swim survival skills and be able to swim the length of the pool and in deep water unassisted, due to the group nature of the class.
PAYMENT TYPE: Credit Card
DESCRIPTION: This workshop introduces the fundamental skills and three foundations of Total Immersion swimming – balance, streamlining, and stability. You will learn how to swim effortlessly and efficiently in a fun and friendly environment. The workshop includes video analysis and playback, 4 hours of pool as well as some classroom time to ask questions and learn about the principles of swimming. The workshop is suitable for people of a wide range of abilities including; Longtime swimmers who find themselves stuck on a plateau or who have lost motivation. There will be a ZOOM orientation session on Thursday July 7th prior to the workshop. Link will be provided via email by July 6th. *PLEASE NOTE: Students must have basic swim survival skills and be able to swim the length of the pool and in deep water unassisted, due to the group nature of the class.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS WORKSHOP?
• New swimmers who want to develop great habits.
• Self-coached swimmers who would like expert assessment and advice.
• Triathletes looking to improve their stroke and use less energy and improve their swim times using less effort.
• Open Water swimmers looking to improve their stroke and make it more efficient.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The best way to increase your endurance or speed is to reduce energy waste when swimming. Using the Total Immersion methodology, we will help you better understand how swimming front crawl works and how to practice in order to develop an efficient stroke. During the workshop you'll learn about and develop the foundation skills of effortless swimming:
• BALANCE AND STABILITY - Feeling balanced and stable in the water transforms your swimming experience; learn how to work with the water not against it.
• STREAMLINING - Learn to push forwards through water by streamlining your body; once you are streamlined, much less effort is required to swim through it. Water is 800 times thicker than air after all.
• WHOLE BODY PROPULSION - Propel yourself forwards through the water using your core and channeling energy forwards using natural weight shifts; rather than the traditional notion of pulling backwards, we focus on driving forwards and merely using the leading arm and hand as an anchor to move our body past.
• BREATHING AND BREATH MANAGEMENT - We will help you understand how to breathe naturally in the water and learn how and when to turn the head with body rotation and time the breath so that it is integrated into the stroke. We understand breathing is an issue for a lot of people and make sure we apportion plenty of time for you to work on this vital part of the stroke.
• VIDEO ANALYSIS - We use video short from above and below the water to help you better understand your stroke and the things you need to practice to improve moving forwards. This video is reviewed during the day and the final video is sent to you with analysis to review when you get home.
This workshop is recommended for those who can swim 50 meters or more of crawl stroke or who have studied TI skills previously via DVD. The workshop includes expert instruction, individualized feedback and video analysis.
WHAT WILL YOU TAKE AWAY?
• The tools to work on a transformed stroke that will let you swim from a mile to a marathon . . . and feel energized afterward.
• The knowledge and awareness to begin a path of continuous improvement (we call it Kaizen) that can continue for decades.
• You'll enjoy swimming as never before. And the more you enjoy, the more you’ll practice and the more you'll improve.
SCHEDULE: Our schedule will be as follows (subject to minor revision):
*Thursday July 7th at 6pm EST there will be a Zoom with Coach Fiona Laughlin for introduction & orientation. It’s not mandatory but is recommended due to limited time for orientation prior to the start of the pool session on Saturday morning. I will send the link via email to all participants by Wednesday the 5th *
08:30 am Check in
09:00 am - 10:30 am Pool (group video & instruction)
10:30 am - 10:45 am Break
10:45 am - 11:45 am Video review & discussion. Bring bagged lunch
12:00 pm - 01:30 pm Pool
09:00 am - 10:30 am Pool
10:30 am - 10:45 am Break
10:45 am - 11:45 am ‘Classroom’ session. Bring bagged lunch
12:00 pm - 01:30 pm Pool and final videotape
01:45 pm - 02:30 pm Final video review
WHAT TO BRING:
For the classroom: A pen/notebook or your favorite note taking device.
For the pool: An extra suit & towel if you want dry ones for the afternoon swim (we recommend), a swim cap (one will be provided), an extra pair of goggles. Flip flops or waterproof shoes. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge. Something warm to wear after the swim. A water bottle and light lunch and/or snacks.
CANCELLATION & TRANSFER POLICY:
No refund will be issued for cancellations less than 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop. For cancellations at least 8 days prior to the scheduled workshop, any monies paid above the $100 deposit will be refunded in full. The $100 deposit per person remains non-refundable, but may be transferred to any future workshop within one year of initial registration. A transfer fee of $100 will apply.
- Venue: St Sebastian’s Center Pool
- City: Woodside (Queens)
- State: NY