Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2017
leventozgur79

Default Which Program to Start

Hello everybody,
I'm a 38 y.o. amateur swimmer.
I've been swimming once a week for the last few years, and 3 or 4 times a week for the last 3 months.
At the moment I swim 2km in 48-52 minutes and 800m in 18 minutes. I'm trying to go below 16 mins, so basically i'm trying to go below 2mins/100m.
I've pretty much been struggling to swim faster in the last month, but cannot achieve anything better, and I've come accross TI very recently.
Which set is the best to try in my case?
Also another question is if I should take the risk of changing my style to try TI.
Waiting for your comments and thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Leven,

Adult onset swimmers, once they've reached a certain level of comfort and can swim a distance are reluctant to change in fear they may lose the gains that have been made. Inevitably they plateau, unable to go any faster or swim easier, and believe (or made to believe) this is as good as it's going to get. Terry refers to this state as "terminal mediocrity"

This is a time to embrace change and switch perception from swimming through strength to swimming as a skill - any swimmer of any level can improve. Your 2min/100 pace plateau is not because you're flawed, it's due balance and shaping the vessel needs refinement - reducing drag profile. Balance and stability is the foundation; imbalance triggers turning arms and kicking legs to stabilize the vessel, or "human swimming"

Improving your balance and streamline will drop 15 secs off of your 2 min pace quickly. Purchase the ebook/video series Effortless Endurance 1.0: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/ This series has a proven progression to get you stable and into a more streamlined shape. I refer to it as "learn take your foot off the brake and speed happens". Imagine swimming a faster pace with less effort than your current pace.

Give it a try, embrace change and you will be a faster (and happier) swimmer for doing so.

Enjoy your journey!

Stuart
Old 04-06-2017
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Hi Leven,
Taking some lessons with a certified TI Coach especially in the beginning will provide additional help as well. Immediate hands-on feedback from a TI coach can be a valuable resource in your learning.

George
Old 04-09-2017
leventozgur79

Thank you both
I've purchased the Effortless Endurance 1.0, but I think a certified TI coach would help a lot.
Now the challenge is to find a TI coach in Istanbul.
Is there a network of certified TI coaches at all?

Thanks
Levent
Old 04-09-2017

WFEGb

Hello Levent,

how to get in contact with Coach Baha?

info@totalimmersionturkiye.com

Best regards,
Werner