Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011

Janos
Default On the wave, or behind it?

It was interesting to hear Popovs coach describe differences in kayak style swimming and catch up style swimming in another thread.
He stated that the quicker paced kayak style allowed the swimmer to swim 'on the wave'. I take this to mean downhill style, which we all try to maintain in the TI, or catch up style. He went on to say that swimming catch up style means swimming 'behind the wave'. Which I don't think is strictly correct. I, like many others have spent many hours perfecting balance, and feel that is possible to be 'on the wave' in TI style. Any different interpretations of his comments?

Janos
Old 11-09-2011

Mike Wray

I don't really know but I took it to mean that the swimmer is generating a wave on which he is almost surfing. If you did the kayak style slowly I don't think you'd keep your feet up because your C of G would be too far back. The TI style with its "front quadrant" catch up has more weight at the front and balances at any speed. Swimming downhill is another way of saying keep your head low and hips up. I don't think that is swimming on the wave because it works static or dynamic.
Mike