Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012

Janos
Default Three points of contact

Hi all, the mention of rock climbing got me thinking of that old mantra of having three points of contact at all time. Thinking I could use that as a focal point when swimming too, I tried a few laps where the focus was on the application of power through my three points of contact when swimming two beat. Seems like an interesting way of playing with the timing of the power phase. First contact is recovery arm after it has entered water, second is vertical catch arm and third is kick. Applying force to them all at the same time makes your three points of contact. When thinking it through in underswitch I had some unbelievably smooth laps. Anybody else think through this part of the stroke holistically?

Janos
Old 02-24-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Hi all, the mention of rock climbing got me thinking of that old mantra of having three points of contact at all time. Thinking I could use that as a focal point when swimming too, I tried a few laps where the focus was on the application of power through my three points of contact when swimming two beat. Seems like an interesting way of playing with the timing of the power phase. First contact is recovery arm after it has entered water, second is vertical catch arm and third is kick. Applying force to them all at the same time makes your three points of contact. When thinking it through in underswitch I had some unbelievably smooth laps. Anybody else think through this part of the stroke holistically?

Janos
As in the phrase "Hand, hand, hip" or "Hand, hand, hip and hoof"? (first phrase ala Celeste St. Pierre, 2nd phrase my modification with the suggestion of "hoof" rather than Foot"

Nah...never thought about it. ;)

But you can move these focuses around to different body parts...you mention recoveyr arm, catch arm and kick...add a specific joint or body surface as a focus. Elbow, elbow, instep perhaps?

Mike Bottom has a youtube video where he is workign with his sprinters on four points of contact...to basically teach them to connect their hips to their shoulders (since they've primarly been taught a shoulder driven technique).
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-24-2012

Janos

I think you are describing the Timewarp there! :-) I meant three points of contact as a focus rather than one focal point,and aimed specifically at the propulsive part of the stroke. Forgetting the hips and shoulders, as they have to perform their part to make the three points happen.

Janos
Old 02-24-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
I think you are describing the Timewarp there! :-) I meant three points of contact as a focus rather than one focal point,and aimed specifically at the propulsive part of the stroke. Forgetting the hips and shoulders, as they have to perform their part to make the three points happen.

Janos
Sure..but it's all a variation of the same thing. arm arm leg. hand hand hip. shoulder shoulder foot. elbow elbow knee. mix and match, it's all good.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle