Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013

dgk2009
Default feeling full

I've always wondered about this so why not just ask,many times when I swim in the morning I have a feeling of wanting to belch but cant,is this a build up of co2 or am I eating too soon before I swim,it also makes me feel more breathless when I feel this way even after swimming.
Old 03-22-2013

tony0000

Well, it's a delicate topic, but as long as you've brought it up, I have to admit that before I just before I hit the water, I usually feel the need to belch and do so quite a lot. If seems my body knows it will not have the chance to do so for the next hour and so takes full advantage of the chance it has. (I do it as discretely as possible, mind you.)
Old 03-22-2013

The Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk2009 View Post
I've always wondered about this so why not just ask,many times when I swim in the morning I have a feeling of wanting to belch but cant,is this a build up of co2 or am I eating too soon before I swim,it also makes me feel more breathless when I feel this way even after swimming.
Used to have the same problem when running - but possibly worse. It stopped when I didn't eat for 4 hours before a race - even 50 mile races. We have plenty of glycogen locked into our trained working muscles, our liver and our blood. Anything we eat just before exercise is not of much use (in spite of what the 'power' drinks marketeers would have you believe), can affect breathing and runs the risk of stomach upsets. Swimming seems more forgiving and I can eat a banana with a drink an hour before swimming without a problem.
I should also say we are very different in this, I have seen a man eat a meal and then be asked to stand in for another man in the National cross country championships three quarters of an hour later. It didn't seem to slow him down! When I spoke to him after, he said he had always been able to do it. I would have been very ill!

Martin T.