Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2016

weakandpuny
Default Lesson Progression in TI Videos

Greetings sexy people. I'm looking for guidance (obviously). I'm a 50 year old "peaks and valleys" swimmer, who has faked his way through a couple sprint triathlons. I have gotten a few swim lessons over the years, but seem to backslide enormously when I have even the slightest layoff. I tend to be a sinker and struggle with efficient breathing. A few months ago I got the TI DVD Perpetual Freestyle in 10 Lessons. Not knowing how long to spend on each lesson, I worked my way up to lesson 6. I decided one day to just see how far I could go before I was out of breath. To my surprise I did 750 yards non-stop (25 yards pool) in 15:40. Two months later I did 1000 yards in 18:30...then between work obligations (police officer / SWAT Sniper / Firearms Instructor / Narcotics Detective) and the holidays, I was only able to get to the pool sporadically for several weeks. Suddenly 200 yards was a struggle.

I decided to buy the TI DVD Freestyle Made Easy, and see if this newer video would help. Again, not knowing how long to spend on each lesson, I did not linger too long on Lessons 1 & 2. Today I did Lesson 3 and discovered I SINK LIKE A ROCK when doing ZipperSkate, however I glide ok during ZipperSwitch and Multi-Zipper.

So all you TI coaches and swimmers can guage my abilities (without a video of me): Last week before starting the new video I averaged 2:06 per 100 yards, averaged 19 strokes per minute, 10 strokes per length, and SWOLF of 42, 1650 yards in 43:23.
Today while doing sets of 25 yards the Garmin 920XT showed 1:52 per 100 yards, 17 strokes per minute, 8 strokes per length, and SWOLF of 36.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

You went the wrong direction with the video, freestyle made easy is an older Eve and we do not teach zipperskate anymore.

Is it possible to take yourself again through the first six lessons of the 10 lesson series?

You arcan moving faster though and that could be why you poop out after 200.
How is your breathing?

The latest guide is the ultra efficient freestyle download
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2016

weakandpuny

Thank you for your reply, Coach Susanne. My breathing is very inconsistent. Sometimes I'm relaxed and taking "sips" of air and not getting out of breath, other times I can't seem to time my exhale right to empty my lungs of CO2, before I'm in position to inhale again.

Here is me swimming 50yds today. I was trying to relax, so I realize my stroke rate is too low. I felt like I had a high elbow on recovery, but I see in the video that wasn't the case. I also notice my lead arm doesn't spear to the 4:00 position Terry advocates, and is actually too shallow.

https://youtu.be/qZU7fqQJ_K4
Old 02-15-2016

tomoy

Greetings and welcome to the forum! Nice work so far. You have cleared one of the first hurdles, which is that patient lead arm. Most people new to TI are windmilling their arms 180-degrees opposite of each other all the time and it's great that you're not doing that. And more importantly you seem to be self-aware enough to know what you should be doing with your elbows and arms. Your tempo is not at all too slow. In TI terms, we count each stroke, whereas your watch is counting every two (only one hand). So when if we aim for say 16 strokes per length (SPL), that would be 8 on your watch. This "trying to relax" video is actually a good speed, so stick with trying to relax. Any faster would be a waste right now. We usually count SPL with a longer streamline off the wall, not taking the first stroke until 5Y in where the lane marker changes color. So it looks like you're at about 17SPL and doing 50Y in roughly 46 seconds... not bad at all.

I'd work more on your recovery arm. Lead with the elbow, draw a wider arc, swing that arm out away from your body when it exits the water and lead with the elbow. I don't remember which lessons best address this from the video, but your inconsistent breathing, sinking would improve if your recovery were reliable and identical and repeatable on both sides. Elbow out.

Once you have a perfect recovery ;-) then you'll have a more stable platform to better time the kick. You're kind of doing a 3 beats-per-stroke kick, what we call the 6BK (don't ask me why we count SPL per single stroke but kick per two strokes!), but sometimes you hit the right beat at the right time, and sometimes you don't. It's more reliable when you're kicking to rotate yourself to breathe, but kind at the wrong time at the other side. So long term goal is to tame those 3 per stroke down to one and time it for propulsion more and less for rotation. It's very tied to the timing of your arms though, and you can't get good timing with your arms until you nail the recovery.

So work on recovery. Every now and then think about the kick, but only when you're tired of focusing on recovery. Take a look at Shinji's 2BK and you'll see how much less energy he takes and how much more streamlined the back half is. Anyway, keep up the good work. Post updates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4
Old 02-15-2016

weakandpuny

Thank you SO much for your detailed response, Tomoy! It's funny you mention my kick. Most of the time I tend to tow my legs through the water, forgetting to kick entirely. I'd recently been trying to focus on SOME kick to bring up my sinking lower half. I'm such a crummy kicker, when I do kick drills, I almost remain still. I'm aware of the problems runners have with their swim kick and I think I've solved that.

As you suggest, I will work on my recovery with ZipperSwitch and OverSwitch, and hope the breathing falls into place. I shall update the Forum with a video an another couple weeks.