Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012

Richardsk
Default Interesting article on Sun Yang

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/0...ame=sportsNews

His excellence is clearly not due merely to technique work. ;-)

Elite swimmers don't exactly have an easy life. No doubt the rewards are worth it.
Old 07-08-2012

Ken B

No pressure.
Old 07-08-2012

nicka

A great read thankyou

I liked this comment

Sometimes I swam sixty 200 metres a day, from 2:30pm to 7:30pm. It was devil's training, this would be where the imprinting of his technique comes in where it does not change from lap 1 through to the 1400 meter mark before the sprint home

Also the 1.98 meter has gotta help, this morning they had a tour of the Australian sporting museum on the morning TV show and they were showing Ian Thorps shoes at size 17, wow thats like my feet of size 9 with flippers on ;)
Old 07-08-2012

nicka

and i just realised, thats 12km for a training session
Old 07-08-2012

Richardsk

Hi Nicka

Superior technique, superior physique and superior conditioning is a hard combination to beat. No doubt all aspiring medallists have been putting in huge yardage (metrage?). The 1500 will be the high point of the Olympics for me, although I am looking forward to the other events as well.

I wonder how closely foot size is correlated with swimming success. Clearly my own feet are not large enough or flexible enough and that's just two of my shortcomings.

I haven't been granted accelerated membership of the Communist party either, or any party for that matter.
Old 07-08-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Nicka

Superior technique, superior physique and superior conditioning is a hard combination to beat. No doubt all aspiring medallists have been putting in huge yardage (metrage?). The 1500 will be the high point of the Olympics for me, although I am looking forward to the other events as well.

I wonder how closely foot size is correlated with swimming success. Clearly my own feet are not large enough or flexible enough and that's just two of my shortcomings.

I haven't been granted accelerated membership of the Communist party either, or any party for that matter.
There are a couple of papers that correlate anthropomorphics with swimming success and large feet is one of the positively correlated characteristics I believe.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 07-09-2012

Richardsk

This article addresses the issue of talent identification. it is perhaps not strictly relevant to TI swimmers, who have to work with what they've got, since there is little we can do about the size of our feet and hands, or the length of our limbs. We can of course modify our girth to some extent, an ongoing project in my case.

with the reservation given above, I think those of us interested in the scientific approach to swimming will find it of value.

http://www.coachesinfo.com/index.php...ice&Itemid=136