Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
Both your points a and b backup my formula. People who use more heart rate to travel the same distance and speed are less efficient/skilled swimmers so score a lower %.?

You can also look at it as a way of removing the ageing factor so that an individual swimmer can measure their swimming progress over 50 years. The intention of the original post was to compare ones own performance over a number of years and to allow for ageing hence not to take times as the benchmark but something else.
you can't compare one persons heart rate to another person's heart rate.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-28-2011

Richardsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parrot View Post
T

Richard, thank you for the link to UK Masters times. There are some terribly quick wrinklies around aren't there?

Martin T
There certainly are, and I'm not one of them. An interesting thing to do with the USMS ranking, that can't be done with the GB ones as far as I know, is to select a range of age groups. I am most interested obviously in my age group and the ones immediately above and below and so I selected the range from 70 to 84. The fastest is the amazing David Radcliff, aged 77, with a time of 21:50.23, and perhaps equally impressive is Graham Johnston, aged 80, who ranks fifth with 25:10.41. Mind you, it would be hard to say which is more impressive. I think both are world record holders..
Old 12-29-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
There certainly are, and I'm not one of them. An interesting thing to do with the USMS ranking, that can't be done with the GB ones as far as I know, is to select a range of age groups. I am most interested obviously in my age group and the ones immediately above and below and so I selected the range from 70 to 84. The fastest is the amazing David Radcliff, aged 77, with a time of 21:50.23, and perhaps equally impressive is Graham Johnston, aged 80, who ranks fifth with 25:10.41. Mind you, it would be hard to say which is more impressive. I think both are world record holders..
Hi Richard. I have talked with both of these guys at several meets and on top of their incredible performances they are really nice, decent men. Meeting people like that is another added benefit to participating in races. The whole atmosphere is one of congeniality and good for our souls.
I know you have the same experience. I am just bringing it up to encourage people to do some swim meets.
Old 12-29-2011

tab

I am going to a Masters swim meet later in January. My approach will be Grant's mantra, swim with ease at the speed I choose. I swam in one last year with less than a year total experience, I could only do the breast stroke at that time, and placed first in my event. Here is the catch, age group and not a big crowd equals victory! The comaraderie is outstanding.
Old 12-29-2011
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
I am going to a Masters swim meet later in January. My approach will be Grant's mantra, swim with ease at the speed I choose. I swam in one last year with less than a year total experience, I could only do the breast stroke at that time, and placed first in my event. Here is the catch, age group and not a big crowd equals victory! The comaraderie is outstanding.
Where is the meet?
Old 12-29-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
Are we using statute or imperial miles? Or the swimmer's definition of 1500M?

The times measured for these masters competitions are open water, right? There's already a clear difference between training in 25Y vs 50M pools because of the number of turns/kick-offs we do is different.

Since we're talking about one mile is there a general fudge-factor we should add in to match open water times? Like, 2000Y in a 25Y pool is the rough equivalent of the same swimming going 1500M in open water? 1800M in a 50M pool? Maybe someone who does can contribute what their equivalent times look like in different settings.

Thanks!
Some people will swim 1600m faster in a pool than open water because they are fast and efficient at turns and push off.

Others are the opposite and swim faster in open water because they are less efficient at turns and push off so benefit from the long swim.

There can also be variations based on tidal movements and wet suit advantages.
Old 12-29-2011

tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
Where is the meet?
Bangor, Maine.
Old 12-30-2011
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Bangor, Maine.
How far is that from Bates College in Lewiston, Maine?
Old 12-30-2011

tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
How far is that from Bates College in Lewiston, Maine?
I would say it is about 1.5-2 hrs north on 95. The event is at Husson University
Old 12-30-2011
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
I would say it is about 1.5-2 hrs north on 95. The event is at Husson University
Do you have any more information on the meet? I am looking to travel to a meet in an area that I haven't visited.