Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013

nicka

Well done Talvi
Old 06-26-2013

Talvi
Default Thanks guys :)

Thanks Nicka, thanks Stuart. Hey, 400 sounds great! For me the 500m was really more a triumph of the will, and I probably miscounted anyway! It was really more a determination to do another lap (25 x2) at the end rather than technique though I guess having that place to go back to with my breathing did help. Last weekend I spent at a friend's cottage, in the forest besides the lakes. The first day, the day after my 500m, I was back down to doing 75m stretches before "having to" stop, do breast stroke, or tread water etc. The next day I managed a lap of 2x150 but it didn't feel right at all. However, after more sauna, and some odds and sods, I did get back that plexus relaxation breathing and swam 400m without "any" problems. It was really rather delicious! :) The "odds and sods" were: 1) opening the armpit of my spearing arm while breathing (counteracted the subconscious aim of using it to try and lift myself out of the water and also stopped me doing so much of a left turn!); and 2) a sort of floppy hand entry - leading to a more goalless focus i.e not aiming to get anywhere. The word "any" is in inverted commas because there is a residual problem, not a muscle memory but a sort of mental memory/twitch, where a panic begins at just the moment I feel I could go on forever:- "Forever?! What about motorboats?! Forever is impossible so what happens when I can't go on?!!" and so on. The "trick" seemed to be to slow down, to feel the rotation more than any pulling, to play in the water and give up trying to reach land, to continue swimming because well ffs isn't that what we want to do??!! When we reach the bank we stop so the real aim is actually time not distance! Distance is merely the side-effect of swimming for a long time :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-25-2013

Talvi

When I posted this thread 5 weeks ago I was close to giving up! Two days afterwards I had an epiphany about breathing and in my swim two days after that I did 500m. Two weeks later I finally twigged the catch and kick pattern and 4 days after that, in open water (20'), I did my first 1 kilometre swim. Today I completed my first mile, 1650m, in a pool (26'), with no stops or even pauses! It's ... magic!

As with my first 500m, I started with no intention of swimming any distance. I hadn't slept and it was an effort to go to the pool at all. I said to myself that I'd "just" practice. Once I started I tried open turns at each end and then .. just kept on trucking!

Bottom line is that my orginal doubts have been answered: yes it really is possible to go from despair to a reasonably comfortable mile in just 5 weeks, my HR was around 120 BPM when I got out. It took about 45 mins.

So ... sincere thanks to everyone here on the TI forums, and to its ** stars **, but especially to my fellow manatee: Stuart!! You next mate!

My goal this year was to swim across the lake, 350m. Lake traffic and falling temperatures make that unlikely but anyway now the game has changed :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 07-25-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2013

helixfairweather

Talvi,

First, nice going!

Second, can you describe an "open turn"? I want to learn to turn at the end of the pool but not by using a flip turn.

Thank you!
Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 07-26-2013

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Default Open turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post

Second, can you describe an "open turn"? I want to learn to turn at the end of the pool but not by using a flip turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PJZm0WtWG4
Old 07-26-2013

helixfairweather

Excellent! Thank you.

Helix Fairweather
Old 07-26-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
Talvi,

First, nice going!

Thanks Helix :) and I was about to post EXACTLY the same link as sojomojo. That's where I learned of it from! :D

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-26-2013

StuartK
Default Manatees Rule OK !

Great news Talvi, well done you are an inspiration to all us wannabe 1 mile swimmers. Weather recently has been great so have foresaken the pool for the sea, but it is still a bit cold for me to stay in more than 20min or so, so either I must swim faster to get the mile done in 20 min! or wait till I get back to the pool. But I do my best to ignore the water temperature an keep my TI form going , I think I've cracked the left side breathing unevenness (I like to check that I'm still close to the shore, it's a good incentive, a one eye peep every other stroke!) :) PS I think you deserve a glass of your favorite tipple, even at Finnish prices! I'll raise my glass to you to-night.
Old 07-26-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartK View Post
Great news Talvi... PS I think you deserve a glass of your favorite tipple, even at Finnish prices! I'll raise my glass to you to-night.
Thanks Stuart :) that's truly appreciated! And I'll do the same to you in the deep blue over yonder.

BTW I am very impressed by your 3rd stroke breathing. I think when you hit your stride you'll be doing marathons!!

Enjoy, dear manatee. *Cheers !!

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 08-02-2013

dprevish
Default Breathing troubles

Talvi,

Reviewing these posts and being able to relate, here's my two cents:

Panic is problems breathing. A few years ago in my first triathlon after a few people had swam over me, I lost composure and was relegated to a choppy breast stroke for the remainder of the 1500 meters. Every time I tried to go back to the crawl I found my breathing could not "reorganized" myself and breath right.
Panic goes away more as you just do it more and the open water advice above is I think key too because it builds confidence and also removes the wall at the end of the pool. That wall is a reminder that marks your progress and every time you try to measure up in laps you'll be thinking about beating it. It's kind of like forgetting about time as TI teaches to practice mindfully. Try some open water and bring a friend for safety if you are unsure of yourself.
Also just practice "lying on your lung" facing the wall of the pool in the shallows, oscillating from that to your "just off your back to breath". Get to where you could do it forever without feeling the need to tense up.

The other advice I can give is that you might be holding your breath, I was until even a couple of months ago. If you just think exhale as soon as your face is back in the water, things should go better. You can do it, and you'll reach a pattern and rhythem that will allow you to go on indefinitely!

Good Luck.
Dave

PS: Good job on your first Olympic Andy