Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011

Mike Wray
Default How to progress

I've been following the TI method for about four months. I've been very pleased with my progress so far and I've been able to overcome my biggest freestyle problems which were sinking legs and struggling. I can balance on side and proceed in a fairly relaxed manner and the breathing is getting better. I haven't perfected the current style by any means but I feel I might be getting into a rut where I'm swimming relaxed but slow. I'd like to know if anyone has any tips on what to concentrate on now. Will my speed improve by just concentrating on improving the current style or are there any specific things I should do to improve speed. I'm not interested in racing but I'd like to be a bit faster.
Mike
Old 11-06-2011

collinsdc

Hi Mike,

you appear to have made very good progress in such a short time, well done.

For what it is worth, all I can add is to keep going as you are. As time passes you will find that your efforts at your new TI stroke will come more naturally & therefore require less mental effort. You will be more relaxed & having less to think about when swimming will then enable you to focus more on your pace without undoing your stroke.

I personally find it very helpful to swim at a slow pace, it allows me to relax & it provides me with feedback on my breathing & on my stroke.

Enjoy the journey, take it as it happens. I would not be too worried about being in a slow "swimming rut" at the moment, I would be far more concerned of getting into a "drill rut" instead. This happened to me. In the quest for the perfect stroke I drilled & drilled & drilled... Whole stroke swimming took a back seat & it took me months to get the balance back to correct proportions.

Good luck in your progress.

Denis.
Old 11-07-2011

Mike Wray

Denis, thanks for your reply. I have no where near perfected the style I'm doing now so I haven't run out of things to concentrate on. It is just that when I do try to speed up the tempo I seem to fall back into the previous style. I don't go any faster but it takes more effort! My main object is to swim relaxed but I'd like to think I can eventually get a bit faster than before. You are probably right that its best to stay relaxed and not try to push too fast.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Wray : 11-07-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 11-07-2011

andyinnorway

Its like playing scales on a piano. You need accurate rhythm to be able to play them fast and that takes time and practise.

If you own a Tempo trainer then it is maybe time for you to start measuring your strokes per length at given tempos.

Then you can work at maintaing your form and relaxation but at ever increasing stroke rates.

anyone can turn there arms faster and use more effort but its harder to maintain a good technique, balance and streamline and still increase stroke rate. but then thats the fun of the challenge.

My pool buddy always tells people to think of the 3Rs reach, relax, rhythm.
Old 11-07-2011

Mike Wray

Thanks Andy. Yes that makes sense. I play a musical instrument and that is certainly true about scales.
Mike
Old 11-07-2011

TomH

Mike,

I agree with Andy on Tempo Trainer use. you can do a search on this forum and finds lots of good advice on TT use. 50 to 100 M intervals with long rest (20 to 40 sec) using a TT have been very helpful to me in increasing my speed a bit. I believe it is important though to have a specific time in mind in which you have to complete the swim for each interval. As soon as it takes even a bit longer than your specified time to complete an interval, stop and rest or do some drills and easy swimming. Once I can do 10 intervals with 10 to 20 sec rest in my specified time, I decrease the specified time and lower the TT setting for a new set of goals. Progress is very easy to measure, and satisfaction comes with every small improvement.