Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default Getting it

I think there are two views as to how one experiences progress with one's freestyle technique.

First view: practice produces continual although incremental improvement.

Second view: improvement consists of incremental progress punctuated by big leaps forward.

I'm in the second camp but would be interested which others put themselves in.

I have a further claim: the second view is the correct view. If you adhere to the first view then you're not asking enough of your practice sessions.

Last edited by Lawrence : 10-29-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2011
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

I think the changes you make are measured and incremental but the effect these changes can have on your performance can be exponential.

Freestyle swimming is a good example of something where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I think the changes you make are measured and incremental but the effect these changes can have on your performance can be exponential.

Freestyle swimming is a good example of something where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
If the effect is exponential that's a big leap forward. Most changes don't have such an effect.

I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2011
Grant Grant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sooke, BC. Canada
Posts: 581
Grant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
If the effect is exponential that's a big leap forward. Most changes don't have such an effect.

I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.
Hi Lawrence.
If one can accept there is such a thing as synergy then it is possible that one and one could result in three.
__________________
May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant

Last edited by Grant : 10-30-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default

That just begs the question, though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2011
DD_l_enclume DD_l_enclume is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 121
DD_l_enclume
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hi Lawrence.
If one can accept there is such a thing as synergy then it is possible that one and one could result in three.
That can be seen in cyclism, where a single cycler is slower than a group (because of the wind shielded by the 1st cyclers).

A more striking example are ants.
Each ant is *programmed* to follow a pheromone trail.
Together they are able to find the shortest path between 2 points. Something they can't do on their own.

DD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default

A kettle without water is useless. A kettle with water allows you to make any number of hot drinks. Is that synergy?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2011
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
If the effect is exponential that's a big leap forward. Most changes don't have such an effect.

I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.

By the whole being more than the sum of the parts I mean, if you get 6/8 (8 being a nominal value) elements of good freestyle correct you will go more than 33% faster if you get 8/8 correct. Therefore the whole is greater than the sum of the parts?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2011
che9194 che9194 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wakefield, MA
Posts: 49
che9194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.
Definitely not.

Systems where the whole is equal to the sum of the parts are called linear systems. Each component is independent of the others. Systems where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts are called non-linear systems. Each component may influence other components.

As we all experience first hand in the pool, swimming is a non-linear system with dozens of competing and connecting constraints and tradeoffs. A small change in one part of your stroke can affect several other parts of the stroke. That's why your 25m freestyle speed can't simply be calculated by adding 25m kicking drill to 25m pull buoy drill.

The real world is very nonlinear - I hope this helps your understanding!

Last edited by che9194 : 10-31-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2011
Grant Grant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sooke, BC. Canada
Posts: 581
Grant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by che9194 View Post
Definitely not.

Systems where the whole is equal to the sum of the parts are called linear systems. Each component is independent of the others. Systems where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts are called non-linear systems. Each component may influence other components.

As we all experience first hand in the pool, swimming is a non-linear system with dozens of competing and connecting constraints and tradeoffs. A small change in one part of your stroke can affect several other parts of the stroke. That's why your 25m freestyle time can't simply be calculated by adding 25m kicking drill to 25m pull buoy drill.

The real world is very nonlinear - I hope this helps your understanding!
Thank you that is the distinction that clarifies.
__________________
May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.