Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011

andyinnorway

One more thing re KPN catch video.

If you want to try the hands on the box thing she talks about, its easier if you go onto tiptoes as you start the movement to put your hands on the box as that helps the elbow "pop" and simulates the momentum you have in the water.
Old 11-11-2011

arunks

I had a few misconceptions about catch and i think they are clarified after looking at the different phases in the pull as shown in this link.

Last edited by arunks : 11-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2011

Ken B
Default Catch

I've adopted Coach Dave's catch advice as recommended further by Susanne. It took a few swims to feel normal but now I think I can claim it as mine. At the end of your reach you will feel slight pressure on the back of your hand, let your arm 'flop' in, Daves words I think. At first the timing will be off but if you persist it will pay. The arm simply swings to a position near normal to your travel and you continue it back through the stroke with your rotation. Benefits are: no unnatural rotation of shoulder cuff and extra awareness of reach and rotation. The extra focus on reach makes for an automatic patient hand which makes lots of time for breathing. I love it. I've had to lengthen my open water swims to accomodate the extra ease and performance.
Thanks Dave from the other side of the world, my summer will be extra good with your help.