Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2009

atreides
Default What Do You Say To Masters Coaches ????

From time to time I see this guy at the place that I swim. He's always friendly and wants me to join his masters swim group. I always beg off because I figure I'm not ready to swim lap after lap. Well I hadn't exactly had a scintillating swim that afternoon. I felt heavy in the water and unlike the weekend did not feel as balanced. Maybe I swim better in the mornings. Well he hadn't seen me swim in a while and so he wanted me show him the progress I made. I obliged and practically sprinted down the lane so that I would ride high and hopefully look competent. His input was about the same. "You got reach out on your recovery (while mimicking my recovery which indicated that my hands were entering the water at an angle and before full extension- sort of like what TI teaches)". "See that lady's stroke (who was fully extending her arms while riding a pull buoy). Yours should be like that". "Do you wear fins?" I responded "No, I become to reliant on them and when I take them off I'm much worse" . "You need to work on your kick with a kick board" I responded that I use a two beat kick which requires that I only kick in concert with my pull.

I know Naj has written about this but I feel especially vulnerable when better swimmers than me tell me whats wrong with my swimming. Would these guys look at Shinji or TL (without knowing who they were) and say the same things? I can't believe that as elegant as Shinji looks that any conventional coach would be critical of him. How do you explain that the angled arm entry helps with vertical balance and because you are extending below the surface that you really aren't short arming the pull. How do tell them that the two beat kick is a real labor saver and that I can now swim without hypervintillating after 25 meters. I must have been doing something right because I think he saw my feet were close to the suface because he picked up on the "you're not kicking correctly" right away. For me that's a major triumph! I guess what I'm asking is how do you talk to masters coaches about TI , remain polite but steadfast in the notion that you think your going to be a better swimmer because of it.