Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2016

Danny
Default what to do about allergies?

This gets me every year, even though I never give up trying. I would so love to swim in the lakes around where I live (in Michigan, USA) in the summer, but I'm allergic to something in the water. It seems that any water I get in my nose or mouth leads to a subsequent disaster, although it can be a matter of hours before the reaction sets in.

Yesterday my wife and I rode our tandem down to a near-by lake and we went swimming. I usually try to swim extra carefully (also with a nose clip) to avoid problems, but on this day there was a wind and the surface was a little rough. The result was that (a few times) I got some water in my mouth. When I got out, I felt fine and I felt fine for the entire bike ride back to my house. Later in the afternoon, my sinuses started swelling up and my nose ran like a leaky faucet. Can't sleep at night when this happens and sometimes it lasts for days. Yesterday I took an antihistamine which helped a little.

By the way, the great lakes don't seem to do this to me. It's only the smaller lakes within biking distance from my house.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions I might try to beat it?
Old 06-30-2016
ScoopUK

Are these lakes you swim in designated as safe for swimming? There is a lake I train at which is fed from a river so the water circulates and remains good quality throughout the year however another local lake where races are sometimes held has no water flow and you can taste the water is earthy and stagnant. This year there is a blue-green algae problem so there is no swimming in the lake at all due to the risk to health.

I wouldn't just jump in any lake to swim if you don't know the water quality, particularly if the water doesn't circulate such as a former quarry lake.

I suffer from hayfever this time of year (chlorine is also a problem for me) so for me swimming in fresh water lakes is such a relief. It's one of the only times I can escape the pollen and the chlorine and not have a runny nose / sore eyes.
Old 06-30-2016

Danny

The beach I swam at in the above post is at a "metro-park", that is, a government state park. I believe it has a fresh water supply, but not a lot of circulation. More importantly in my neighborhood is the problem of sewage run-over, which flows into some of the lakes and leads to periodic closings of beaches. The beach I swam at doesn't have this problem, because there is no community near by. It's surrounded by park. More generally, I have noticed that I have this problem in most lakes in the eastern U.S. Less so in Germany, which is one of the pleasures of swimming there. A quarry with good circulation would be a dream for me, but I don't know of any in my neighborhood.

I did a search in of all forums on the key word "allergies" and came up with a lot of hits. Here is one post with rather extensive responses
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ight=allergies
All food for thought..
Old 06-30-2016
ScoopUK

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd classify my issue with chlorine as an allergy but I'm certainly sensitive to it. If I didn't have goggles as a kid every light would have a halo around it, my eyes would water terribly and I'd be in discomfort for hours. If I do backstroke without a nose clip I will also get a runny nose like I have a cold for 24 hours. My skin dries up too and if I'm swimming at the pool more than 3 times a week I have to moisturise else my skin feels dry, tight and itchy across my back. I used to swim at a salt water pool which was great. None of those issues but it was very shallow and only 20m long.
Old 07-02-2016

Danny

Today it occurred to me that my goggles have been leaking and when I get water in my eyes, I think there is a passage between eyes and sinus, so that could be part of the problem. Then it occurred to me that maybe a diving mask, which covers both the eyes and the nose, would work better for me in open water, when I have allergy problems. No need for a nose clip with a diving mask.

Does anyone have experience with swimming freestyle using a diving mask? Are there issues I need to think about before trying to buy one? Any advice?
Old 07-07-2016
dinesh016

Default what to do about allergies?

This could be from some serious stress. Also, Have they looked closer into your lungs, possibly an xray? Go to an allergy doctor who can test exactly what you are allergic too, once you find out, maybe you can see if that is in your house, bedroom, yard, etc.