Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015

Josefish
Default Roll over drill

Hi TI little fishes ;)

Can anybody tells me what is the real purpose of this drill ?

https://youtu.be/nzWzZb1niIQ

Thanks

Josefish <><
Old 03-26-2015

tomoy

Fish 1, reporting in for duty.

I see a focus on the elbow, leading the hand, patient spearing hand timing which is a front quadrant technique. Those two lead to very good front loading weight distribution. Holding the arm out of water for extended duration (it wants to fall or push the body into the water) demands a lot of core control, and you can see a lot of core correction going on, training those muscles to keep the body not only in balance but also streamlined. Seems like a lot of good stuff.

I wouldn't mistake a drill like this for actual swimming technique. You don't see him stacking and crunching his recovery that tightly. But they're a means to improved balance and streamlining.
Old 03-26-2015

Danny

What I see are some rather strange motions with the extended speared hand during the recovery. This almost looks like sculling, but it might merely be a means of maintaining balance. In any event, it looks as if he wants to slow things down to the point where there is no ballistic energy, that is, at any point in the motion he can simply stop and maintain that position if so desired. What I don't understand is that he appears to be doing the sculling motion up front when his body and recovery arm aren't moving at all. Is this necessary to keep him from sinking? Or falling over?
Old 03-26-2015

Talvi

Amazing stuff. But then I haven't a clue!

I think it's a balance drill. I think the drill is very similar if not identical to some TI drills (on the PMF DVD). I've tried the TI version and not got a handle on it. Maybe this'll provide the extra perspective I need. Thanks for posting.

My take on his hand movement is that he's using the drill also to tune in his feel for the water and his catch. He's grabbing a hold on the water before catching it into a ball sort of a thing.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-27-2015
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefish View Post
Hi TI little fishes ;)

Thanks

Josefish <><
it looks like an early precursor to the TI drill of turning to sweet spot to learn/practice how to breathe properly. occasionally i still use that drill with some clients who will benefit from it.
Old 03-27-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hi TI little fishes ;)

Thanks

Josefish <><
When I watched the video, the first thing that I noticed was the slight pause at high elbow so I thought he was doing the shark fin drill.
Old 03-27-2015

Josefish

In this new video, it is explained (minute 18:27) but in spite of that I still have not very clear the real purpose.
Have a look and comment , please.

https://youtu.be/8BrRIZFk7O4

Thanks

Josefish <><
Old 03-27-2015

Talvi

Quote:
In this new video, it is explained (minute 18:27) but in spite of that I still have not very clear the real purpose.
Have a look and comment , please.

https://youtu.be/8BrRIZFk7O4

Thanks

Josefish <><
Why didn't the coach's answer in post #5 clarify it? "to learn/practice how to breathe properly"

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov