Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010

propelli
Default Analysis of my swimming?

I managed to get some underwater video of my swimming done.

The link to the clip is http://mitim-lut.blogspot.com/2010/0...ekniikkaa.html

I have tried to analyze my effort and find ways to improve it. Anything you guys could note?
Old 01-12-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

It looks good overall, except the head position. It seems that you push your head a little deep. Relax your neck when face down and, as they say, just release the weight of your head into the water.

During the breathing cycle, the recovering arm has a slight delay to it, at least in the initial above-water shot.

Sometimes it seems that you have a 3 or 4-beat kick of sorts.

(Recently I'd discovered an asymmetry in my stroke--not that it's a surprise--while doing two opposite extremes of kicking. First I used my floating fins as a pull buoy so I wasn't kicking at all. Second I used a 6-beat kick. I found that the asymmetry, more noticeable with the pull buoy, didn't allow me to time my 6-beat consistently. By adjusting the timing of my left arm, I was able to get the 6-beat kick to flow better. The 2-beat kick apparently hid the variance in my stroke.)
Old 01-12-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by propelli View Post
I managed to get some underwater video of my swimming done.

The link to the clip is http://mitim-lut.blogspot.com/2010/0...ekniikkaa.html

I have tried to analyze my effort and find ways to improve it. Anything you guys could note?
Love the soundtrack. Who is it? I think you're doing just fine. I think you might over rotate just a bit. But my major observation is on your 2bk. It appears you are using the scissor method. I haven't gotten an official ruling but I think that traditional 2bK is evidenced by independent kicks. In other words, right leg kicks down and up, left leg stays steady. Then the left leg kicks down and up and the right leg stays steady. I used to do the scissor and I think it might actually supply more power. But the independent leg method is far more stable and you stay closer to the surface. I also think it takes less energy because you are moving one leg instead of two on each stroke. If you use the traditional 2bk, i think you will a lot closer when you go to breathe and won't need to "crane" as much. At least that is my experience.
The scissor method tended to pull me down a bit

I like the fact you take full strokes and recover beyond your hips. That's what I'm currently trying to imprint.
Old 01-12-2010

archipelago

looks well.
Do You feel relaxed when swimming? what distance do you usualy swimm?
maybe You are a little bit "natural sinker", seems to me like you naturaly compensate it with more powerfull kick.
anyway, even when Your head needs longer way to the surface to catch the air, seems like Your style works for You and I think Your core balance is OK.
Old 01-12-2010

splashingpat
Default stop buring your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by archipelago View Post
looks well.

Do You feel relaxed when swimming?
what distance do you usually swim?

maybe You are a little bit "natural sinker",
seems to me
like you naturally compensate it with more powerful kick.
anyway even
when Your head needs longer way to the surface to catch the air, seems like
Your style works for You and I think Your core balance is OK.

you are doing so much right, BUT
that head position TOO deep

Last edited by splashingpat : 01-13-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2010

daveblt

Just one more thing , Try just a little wider tracks as you spear forward. Looking good !

Dave
Old 01-13-2010

naj

Let your head be ina neutral position right now its seems as if your forcing it down. Flick the feet on a 2bk, try not to wind up and kick, also synchronize your 2bk (i.e. right hand enters the water left legs kicks downward and vice versa for the other arm and leg.) One last thing and this is something that I am working hard on myself, lead with your elbow on the above water recovery. Right now your leading with your hand and you'll get a lot more power with hip drive and a cleaner hand entry if you lead with the elbow instead. Make sure the elbow is leading and your forearm hangs like a rag doll. As your elbow reaches your shoulder than the momentum of your forearm drops into the water. I've been working on this very thing and its marvelous to see the results, but be mindful while doing it it is easy to go back to or old habits. Your looking good and I'm sure - as you progress - that your stroke will be admired by many when they see you in the water.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 01-13-2010

ewa.swimmer

I think we notice the things that we have had difficulties with in our own strokes. I am no exception.

Couple of things to try:

First, try relaxing your hands. That will help you use the larger lats in your back more than the smaller muscles in your arms for your pull.

Second, try to keep your kick more in your "shadow". It looks like your kicks that go wide are trying to compensate for over rotation. This is a harder one to fix because you don't do it all the time and it's hard to see your own kick.

When you look at all the suggestions it may seem like you have a poor stroke. You don't so don't get discouraged.
Old 01-13-2010

RadSwim

You have a nice, smooth rhythm and keep your body fairly horizontal for much of the stroke cycle.

There are several features that can be improved:
1. Your head and your whole body are very deep between breaths -- you are submarining.
2. As a result, you have to crane your neck up to reach the air.
3. Which causes your hips to drop -- swimming uphill
4. Which induces an overly large scissor kick.

The problem underlying all of this is that your leading arms are much too deep for your lean build. Watch how your spearing arm pulls you away from the surface of the water. Your target (X,Y position; clock position) needs to be much higher. Over the next several practices, try raising your target 2cm each day. See if breathing becomes easier.

Many of the other problems should be easier to correct once you have a more optimal target established.

Good luck,
RadSwim

Last edited by RadSwim : 01-13-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2010

propelli

These comments have been highly valuable, thanks!

I have noticed myself that my head is diving really deep. That must be the next thing to fix. Putting together your suggestions, I will try to:
- lead more with my recovering elbow instead of palm/ hand
- push leading hand into water in shallower direction. I have tried to hang my arms deep in the water to get my sinking legs to the surface! Maybe the opposite is actually true.
- look a bit forward instead of the bottom of the pool. Maybe this will take the head towards the surface.
- find another rhythm for my legs for kicking. I have tremendous trouble trying to make smooth independent kicks coming out. Those funny limbs seems to like to do their own thing...

Once more, thanks for your comments!!

PS. That music is by a band called Moloko. Uh, and the language of the blog is Finnish.