Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008

ironteeth
Default co-ordination after the turn

Hi

I can now swim confortably 25m + with very little stress on a stroke count of 14-16@25m. No problems at all until I have to turn then I find it takes 4-8 strokes to re-establish a comfortable leag kick/breathing action again. This error componds over 75 to 100m ending in breathless struggle. If this were a 50m pool or outdoor it would not be such a great issue.
Any pointers on focal points after the turn to get the rythum back.

Mark
Old 12-08-2008

madvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironteeth View Post
Hi

rythum
Mark
rhythm. I have that problem too. zipper switches seem to reproduce that transition from glide to stroke.
Old 12-08-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Recently I've been flutter kicking after the turn until I've taken one stroke. Some people say to not breathe on the first stroke. Also, if your body is tilted, take the first stroke with the lower arm to initiate body roll (doesn't work so well for me yet).

Based on the current TI thinking, the advice might be to push off into a Super-man glide or flutter until stable, then begin the stroke.
Old 12-08-2008

AWP
Default streamline off the wall

I've found what helps is keeping it simple and unhurried.
Maybe practice some turns focusing on being quiet, smooth, making sure you place solidly on the wall and then push off into a 'tight' but relaxed streamline. Remain in streamline until you hit the surface.
(Make mental notes as you practice. Can you be more streamlined? more relaxed? how long can you go comfortably? too breathless? need an extra breath before turn? which arm will you stroke with? is your head down? etc.)
When you feel smooth doing this then concentrate on your initial stroke. Make that first stroke slow and deliberate. Maybe just stroke into skating position at this point focusing on keeping your legs streamlined only, not kicking. Once in skating position hold streamline ( no recovery). Are you balanced?
Then perhaps a few adding Zen skating position (high elbow recovery). Keep legs streamlined. Still balanced?
If this feels good maybe add in a sneaky breath being sure to maintain your "laser", head-spine alignment. If hasty you may run into what I refer to as a 'wall of pudding'.
( I felt for me this was crucial to be comfortable with as during some sets the need for air comes and I want to take a breath right away after push off and want to do this in the smoothest fashion. It allows me to maintain my streamline a bit longer, confident I'll be able to take that breath right away but smoothly. Haste, and hello wall of pudding.)
If your balance is great your streamline consistent and relaxed add a few strokes. Mental check, notes.
Push off swim one full length into the first turn, then a few strokes and stop.( I believe this is referred to as 33s)
Swim full lengths in between your practice (maybe no turns) to clear your mental slate so to speak. Swim these at your highest efficiency.
This may appear tedious but the process will be beneficial. Incidentally this process is for any turn practice.
Breath timing will also play a part so developing relaxation and economy seem a priority for me. Once this is comfortable you'll be able to stroke once or twice before your initial breath without taxing yourself too much.
Much luck!
Old 12-08-2008

woody-som

is that with a tumble turn or open? I find tumble turns require more energy and struggle regain form after, so stick to using open turns, no slower, and means I keep form and relaxed.
Old 12-09-2008

ironteeth

Hi

Warmed up this morning with a few drills and then did 4x 25,50,75,100,75,50,25 slowing the turns down, short flutter kick and then back into a 2bk fs stroke. Worked a treat and something to work on on these dark frosty mornings

Thanks

Mark