Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012

russellw
Default Timing of the kick

Hi all,

Last night I reviewed swing skate on the perpetual motion DVD and I noticed something that hopefully you guys can elaborate on.

Was it just me or did I noticed when Terry goes from swing to swim, the kick happens when the spearing opposite arm is almost extended.

Am I right in thinking this ?? If i am right, then i do believe my kick seems to happen far top early in the stroke, maybe even as early as my hand on my spearing arms enters the water.

By the way, I do find it excellent to go back to the DVD every so often. Something that you may not pick up on the first time round, can easily be seen a second time around !!

Russ
Old 07-26-2012

haschu33

Hi russelw,

Maybe you want to check this post in this thread where it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish View Post
... You mentioned proper timing, so is he using the kick first to trigger the spear? Does the stroke start at the back and roll forward, or does it initiate from the core and roll out?
Ans: We talked a lot about this. He indicated that for beginners the leg snap and entry occur at the same moment (to drive the spear). Advanced timing is to kick at tad later after the spearing arm has entered in the water and is driving to full extension.
Old 07-26-2012

tony0000

This is the first I've heard of the idea that the kick should come after the spearing motion has begun. I'm certainly not an advanced swimmer, so I doubt I'll spend too much time working on a delayed kick, but I wonder: can anyone out there confirm that there are advantageous to a delayed kick?

Tony
Old 07-26-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
This is the first I've heard of the idea that the kick should come after the spearing motion has begun. I'm certainly not an advanced swimmer, so I doubt I'll spend too much time working on a delayed kick, but I wonder: can anyone out there confirm that there are advantageous to a delayed kick?

Tony
I find this idea interesting. The rational being that once the hand entered the water, the negative impact on buoyancy of both the arm recovery, the inhale (when breathing) are behind you. Add to this that the fact of extending the arm in front has a positive impact on balance. Therefore it seems logical to delay the kick ever so slightly.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 07-26-2012 at 08:41 PM.