Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2015
Saskie

Default Better visualisation of stroke?

Hi,
I have been reading the principals of TI and watching the videos. With their help I have managed to slow my stroke down a bit and rotate more. A coach told me that I still fight the water and thrash when I try to swim faster, and that I am not a 'front quadrant' swimmer. I have read about "feeling the water rather than fighting it", and "focusing on moving myself rather than moving the water". It makes good sense, but I can't work out what to change in my stroke to get a feel of this. It seems like one of those things that once you have you know, but until then it is elusive. Sorry if this is garbled, but I am hoping that someone can give me some suggestions of parts of the stroke to focus on to help get a sense of fluid, loping, graceful swimming. I am not a triathlete, but swim 1-2km three times a week in a 50m pool. I want to understand better how to imagine and be aware of my body when I am swimming. And I want to go faster!
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2015

Zenturtle

get a better coach or post some footage.

it all starts with feeling suspended by the water without arms or leg movement.
In the ideal case you always want to keep some of this feeling when arms and leg movements are added.
This sounds a lot easier than it actually is.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 09-30-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2015

andyinnorway

Well put by Zenturtle - the best way to do this is by practicing superman glide. Learn how streamline feels in long effortless push offs, then transfer that feeling of balance into your stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwV7aik6doM

After that check out the yellow book or one of the freestyle dvd's (or youtube clips too)
Old 09-30-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

The next thing that I would add is that intention really matters. You asked about pushing water back versus moving the body forward. A lot of the difference here is simply based on what you THINK about. If you think about your pulling arm as a way to push the body forward you will be more efficient than if you think about pulling the arm back. When I am stroking, I imagine that stroke driving my head and lead arm forward. It almost feels like I am growing down the pool.

Another example, if you THINK about pressure you feel on your arm and hand during the pull, you will be more efficient than if you think about hand speed.

You asked for specific things to change in your stroke. As others have said, we would need to see video to say a lot of detail.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/
Old 10-01-2015
Saskie

Hi Eric, thanks for the visualisation suggestions. I really like to think about what I am doing as I swim. I try to have a focus point for each lap...thank goodness my coach got me to slow down my stroke rate as I was moving in such a blur that I couldn't focus on anything! I am grateful for visualisations about what TO DO, rather than what to avoid. I also like to visualise swimming strokes when I'm dozing off in bed. It's amazing how tricky it is to try and hold in my mind at the same time what both arms and legs are doing simultaneously.
Old 10-01-2015
Saskie

I'm off to the pool today to practice gliding. Is the yellow book the Extraordinary Freestyle one? Thanks for your reply.