Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009

weinzwei
Default Balance Question

Hello everyone- while working on TI drills today i noticed that if i work from the skating position while unzipping my recover arm. 90 degrees bent elbow dangling by my google line i noticed that i feel extremely balanced and actually was able to kick and move a great distance in the pool in this position.(hope i explained that correctly) However when moved my arm back to my side and reverted back to just a skate position for a length of the pool i did not have that same feeling of balance. Is it possible that i am leaning to far forward into the water while skating, and the weight of my arm coming up past my chest helped balance me out? Should'nt i have sunk farther into the water with my arm ahead of my chest? My thought was that the arm to my side was causing me to pull back on my core and lead arm. Thus giving me better balance? It has not transfered over to whole stroke swimming. Has anyone else had an issue with being to forward in the water? My hips feel very light and ride high, while in skate. How do i correct this problem? And why did i not have a feeling of falling over when my arm was dangling out by my goggles? Am i now swimming to flat? I never felt like i was going to tip over. Very confused!

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by weinzwei : 07-10-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Add some clarification
Old 07-10-2009

daveblt

It sounds as if you may need to try to relax into the water a little more when you are in the skate position because you are saying that it feels more balanced when you bring your hand up by your goggles .When your in skate lean forward and relax into balance ,keep hand on track and below your elbow ,look down hang your head and flutter gently .

Dave
Old 07-10-2009

weinzwei

Thanks Dave, I will keep working at it!!!

Jon
Old 07-11-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Weinzwei,
To say it another way, I think the improved balance when the arm is forward is a good thing. You have more weight in front of your lungs, so it is easier to balance. Yes, many people sink in this position, you may not. The problem, as Davebit mentioned, seems to be more in the skate than the zipped position. I would say work on the pressure on the front end (lean into your armpit and neck, also called relaxing into the water) in skate until it feels as good as your zipped position.
Old 07-21-2009

piyavat
Default Sink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
Weinzwei,
To say it another way, I think the improved balance when the arm is forward is a good thing. You have more weight in front of your lungs, so it is easier to balance. Yes, many people sink in this position, you may not. The problem, as Davebit mentioned, seems to be more in the skate than the zipped position. I would say work on the pressure on the front end (lean into your armpit and neck, also called relaxing into the water) in skate until it feels as good as your zipped position.
Coach Eric, you might remember me. I am the man with many questions.

I today tried to swim at the Y in my town and had a TI buddy looking at my body balance. Though I could swim ok for a short distance, my bottom was under water more than it is supposed to be, base on my buddy' observation.

When I pushed my body off to do the superman glide, I thought my bottom did not sink that deep. Speed helped?

My buddy suggested that I should keep on looking at my tummy while swimming in hopes I can lower my upper body more. And, in turn, be able to lift my bottom up.

Please note I am a soccer player with huge and heavy lower body and butt. I have begun to learn how to swim TI last summer. Now still struggle with this critical body balance issue.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Piyavat
Old 07-22-2009

daveblt

Looking at your tummy while swimming is something you don't want to do.
So with that out of the question here's what you want to do.

First of all try to relax your whole body as you start to swim
Look at the bottom
Relax your head and neck
Lean in to the water for support
keep the lead hand below elbow
Don't over roll to stacked shoulders
Do roll just enough to clear shoulders as you roll
Keep the lead hand on track at least in front of the shoulder or wider
Try to stretch out your body front to back but without being tense

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 07-22-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2009

weinzwei

Coach Dave, could you elaborate a little more on leaning in to the water for support. Should i be leaning with my patient lead hand shoulder? or my recovery shoulder? or neither? Thanks, Jon
Old 07-23-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinzwei View Post
Coach Dave, could you elaborate a little more on leaning in to the water for support. Should i be leaning with my patient lead hand shoulder? or my recovery shoulder? or neither? Thanks, Jon

Not sure if you were actually referring to coach Dave or me but to help keep the legs from sinking you want to try to find support by leaning in on your bottom armpit to help counter balance your body .Bottom armpit means if your rolling to your right side you lean in on your right armpit . Don't forget at the same time you keep the head in line with the spine and the hand below elbow on track.

Dave
Old 07-23-2009

weinzwei

Thanks Dave, i was referring to you. I will take your advice and try it today in the pool!!

Jon
Old 07-23-2009

weinzwei

Well that worked Dave!! I had a great swim today. Thanks again!!!