Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013

swim56
Default Tuneup - What is its role?

I've seen the term "tuneup" used in a number of posts (particularly by Terry) as a reference to something that happens prior to a more vigorous practice. My question is.... What is the purpose of a tuneup?

Is it a slower-paced way to practice technique before swimming faster? A way to relax the body in preparation for a practice? A warm-up that helps the body to physiologically adapt to the practice? All the above?

I'm very new to TI and I've just gotten to the point of being able to swim a relaxed mile with some semblance of TI technique (average for that 1750 yd. swim was 14 SPL and a time of 41 minutes). I've been using the first 15-20 lengths as a very slow warm-up, then gradually picking up the pace. This slightly faster pace is actually something that has occurred naturally as I relax, breathe efficiently and get into a rhythm (flow?).

In order to gradually work my distance beyond a mile, I was thinking about doing my 15-20 warm-up lengths, then starting a mile swim. This would effectively lengthen my total yardage while giving me a better indicator of how long it takes me to swim a mile starting fully warmed up. I have no desire to swim competitively, but I am interested in what my mile time would be if the entire swim occurred after I was warmed-up. This would then be used as a baseline to measure future improvement.

But, I wanted to better understand the concept of the "tuneup" to know what I should include in those early warm-up lengths.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-17-2013

andyinnorway

Hi

yes it seems to be Terry that uses it most so he may well jump in with an explanation. I understand it to be that the tune-up goes further than a warm up, as you are preparing your mind and body for a specific task.

e.g. you may have a main set of 8x200 holding 16SPL with a tt setting of 1.2

a tune up for this task might be

4x25,3x50,2x75,1x100 at this setting. You are then tuning your mind and body into the precision of the task.
Old 08-17-2013

jenson1a

According to the Self Coached Workshop User's Manual, a tuneup is defined as follows.

Tuneups are moving, but very brief practice--usually 10 yds or less. (You may sequence several reps to cross a pool.) Why short duration?
1. To minimize the need to breathe, when it's best to treat breathing as a separate skill.
2. Like rehearsals, they're designed to target one aspect of a more complex drill or whole stroke, not to imprint the whole movement.

Rehearsals are usually for 30 to 60 seconds and involve static practice (not moving down the pool) which allows for deeper focus. Example--standing at end of pool and practicing mailslot entry without moving thru the water.

This is a direct quote from the manual. You can find a lot of info if you click on "free stuff" at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps

Sherry

You also asked what the role is for tuneups--to further quote,"Tuneups are most valuable: 1. when learning a new drill or skill: and 2 when your practice includes more drills than whole stroke. The more familiar you become with any skill, the less you need to Rehearse or Tuneup."

Last edited by jenson1a : 08-17-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: further clarification
Old 08-17-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
According to the Self Coached Workshop User's Manual, a tuneup is defined as follows.

Tuneups are moving, but very brief practice--usually 10 yds or less. (You may sequence several reps to cross a pool.) Why short duration?
1. To minimize the need to breathe, when it's best to treat breathing as a separate skill.
2. Like rehearsals, they're designed to target one aspect of a more complex drill or whole stroke, not to imprint the whole movement.

Rehearsals are usually for 30 to 60 seconds and involve static practice (not moving down the pool) which allows for deeper focus. Example--standing at end of pool and practicing mailslot entry without moving thru the water.

This is a direct quote from the manual. You can find a lot of info if you click on "free stuff" at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps

Sherry

You also asked what the role is for tuneups--to further quote,"Tuneups are most valuable: 1. when learning a new drill or skill: and 2 when your practice includes more drills than whole stroke. The more familiar you become with any skill, the less you need to Rehearse or Tuneup."
there you go from the book. I think Terry uses it slightly differently when he refers to it at the start of a set description.
Old 08-17-2013

swim56

Thanks Sherry and Andy!

It does appear that it might have a different meaning/application depending upon whether someone is in the early stages of developing their TI skills compared to someone, like Terry, who has significantly more experience (understatement of the year!).

Maybe the head coach himself will chime in to clarify.

Tim
Old 08-18-2013

swim56
Default Tune-up Links

Ask and you shall receive..... Here's a couple links I ran across that speaks to the concept of "tune-up" from Mat Hudson, TI Master Coach. I found them very helpful.

"Why tune-up?" http://smoothstrokes.wordpress.com/2...5/why-tune-up/

"Out of Tune" http://smoothstrokes.wordpress.com/2...5/out-of-tune/

You might have to copy/paste the link into your browser as it tends to be truncated when the link is posted to the forum.