Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012

ccameron
Default comparing different approaches to butterfly

Love the idea of long distance fly - am slowly trying but have not mastered short-distance-anything-like-fly-yet!!! Anyway, came across shaw method fly and noted a post they had comparing TI and shaw method - but not in relation to fly.

http://www.artofswimming.com/index.p...=10&Itemid=351

Their fly is very 'soft' and sustainable - both things that appeal to me. They focus on not pulling with the arms, but directing the surging body forwards with the arms to aid the rising head above water and so ready for the next undulation. It looks pretty deep though.

There are youtubes of this approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRElrG-NtQ

One thing they also appear to emphasize in fly is thumb out of water first in recovery (so rotating hand during catch) - not little finger as in the competitive style, but they say this puts less strain on shoulders (I have longstanding shoulder issues - tried this hand position and did feel the difference). Thoughts?

So, calling on the collective wisdom of the forum, How does this compare to the TI approach? (Also in particular, their emphasis on head led fly). (Their roots are in alexander technique and they are very much of the less strain, more gain, continuous improvement and body awareness school of swimming, so there are some commonalities in philosophy)

(am especially intrigued as I noted that a new TI ebook is coming out on fly).

Anyway, I would love to hear form anyone interested to take the time to compare and contrast.....

I will await any replies with interest, and still keep going on getting there (well somewhere) with fly!
C.

Last edited by ccameron : 10-06-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: lack of clarity in first phrasing
Old 10-07-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccameron View Post
Their fly is very 'soft' and sustainable - both things that appeal to me. They focus on not pulling with the arms, but directing the surging body forwards with the arms to aid the rising head above water and so ready for the next undulation. It looks pretty deep though.
That I don't understand what you mean here...

Quote:
There are youtubes of this approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRElrG-NtQ
He came actually quite close to creating my NAD drill.

I'm probably going to cherry pick one of his drills though, as it's inline with a discovery I made recently.

Quote:
One thing they also appear to emphasize in fly is thumb out of water first in recovery (so rotating hand during catch) - not little finger as in the competitive style, but they say this puts less strain on shoulders (I have longstanding shoulder issues - tried this hand position and did feel the difference). Thoughts?
They're right.

Quote:
Anyway, I would love to hear form anyone interested to take the time to compare and contrast.....

I will await any replies with interest, and still keep going on getting there (well somewhere) with fly!
C.
I'm no TI, but it seems in line with my approach at least, and to a very large extent that of TI.

Simple. The world is split in 2 categories. No 3, not 1, but 2.

1. Those who think that it's counter productive to work the fly slow. Breaks the technique, stroke was not meant to be swam slow, etc...

2. Those who think it's worth to swim the slow fly, and that have trust in that it can later be accelerated.

TI certainly falls in the second category, and there are not that many people on this boat. So in spite of a few technicalities, I'd say most approaches who aim at allowing you to swim a Slow Fly that is sound technically (not this endless glide sort of fly) are very similar in their approach.

Here, that's my NAD drill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K5DPz_acyY

And my slowest fly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MVseXW2f5c

Simple, most of the time, I'm not interested by how fast you can swim the fly, rather how slow you can keep it in balance.
Old 10-13-2012

BrandonScott

What about the fast butterfly? Is it exists?

best face cleanser
Old 10-13-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonScott View Post
What about the fast butterfly? Is it exists?

best face cleanser
Crappy spammer here.

SPAM ALERT. Get off this site, you parasite! you cockroach! you sneaky dirty stinky snake!

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 10-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.