Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013

johynr]]]
Default problem with 2BK

I have a problem with my 2BK which I cannot fix. If you have a look at the short video (link below), you can see that when I kick with my left leg, it is not too bad, but when I kick the right leg, the left does the same.

Thank you in advance for any advice on how to try to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRGa...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-16-2013

nurledge

hi johynr]]],

skate on your right, lock your left leg or let it straight aligned to your body unmoved, do kicking/flutter only using your right leg (you right leg at lowered position as you re skating on the right). Go per length until running out of breath. you may want to do the same by skating on the left to sense how well you do on the other side. Then integrate with your normal swimming.
Old 11-16-2013

StuartK

I spent a couple of weeks before I could get some semblance of a 2bk. I remember having to stop and rollover on to my back as I was giggling so much at my inability to co-ordinate the diagonal spear of the arm with the flick of the foot. You could try a dry land exercise of walking slowly and when your right foot moves off the ground give a little kick and spear with you left arm up into the air then left foot, kick, and spear with right arm, and so on just to get used to the diagonal link. Best done in the privacy of your home when nobody is around :)
Old 11-16-2013

Superfly

Hi, I looked at the video and I see that the top of your foot is catching the water. This is creating resistance, but more importantly, it is throwing you off balance resulting in bad alignment. It's like a boat pulling an anchor.

You need to work at pointing your toes. You can do this by stretching your shin muscles. Google "Yoga Hero Pose". Also, use a foam roller as I'm guessing that your shin muscles are very tight.

Less is more when it comes to kicking. You may want to forget about kicking for a while and let your legs dangle out behind you, but in the shadow of your body. Focus on your head and body alignment instead. Imagine that you're swimming downhill. You'll notice that your legs will rise naturally when you have good body alignment.

You can revisit kicking later when you can point your toes. This may take a couple of weeks or even months.

Last edited by Superfly : 11-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2013

johynr]]]

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 11-17-2013

Scotty

Your 2BK looks more like a dolphin kick. Perhaps you need to focus on isolating one leg instead of introducing that mini-flutter that you see many of those folks who are proficient in the 2BK use.

For what it is worth your rotation looks good, so your kicking style is not hindering that part of your stroke.

My goal for 2014 is to master the 2BK. I now only able to kick with my left or right leg on any given length, not both. This is quite frustrating, so I will take some of the suggestions that our colleagues have given to you.

Scotty
Old 11-18-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Try concentrating on making your left leg as long and still as possible when the left arm etners, and not worrying about the right leg or 2BK. Just swim and lengthen the left leg as the left arm enters and not worry about the rest. Lengthen the leg on left arm entry, then relax on the right arm (ant it will probably naturally kick)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-18-2013

andyinnorway

You can also familiarize yourself with the co-ordination on a bed

Lie on a bed in a superman glide pose. Then use your left leg to start your body rolling to the right and simply use your right arm to 'brace' the roll almost immediately. Then repeat on the other side, right leg starts body rolling left and is braced by left arm.
Old 11-18-2013

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
I have a problem with my 2BK which I cannot fix. If you have a look at the short video (link below), you can see that when I kick with my left leg, it is not too bad, but when I kick the right leg, the left does the same.

Thank you in advance for any advice on how to try to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvRGa...ature=youtu.be
Have you read Coach Mat Hudson's 2-Beat Kick steps? If not here's the link:

2-Beat Kick Steps

And the Follow up 2-Beat Kick And Learning

I believe it is a perfect step by step learning method which will fix your problem in few practice sessions.

good luck
Old 11-18-2013

craig.arnold@gmail.com

When moving from a 6BK to a 2BK my first stage was to get my balance good enough to swim without kicking.

Then I started introducing the 2BK.

Might be worth a go for you too.