Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013

swimust
Default 24 hours later

After my "amazing nonsense" here: http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=4297 , and I went into finding the weight shift tracks that TI (and Shinji) is using.
So I decided to go to the weight shift track straight after the hip roll, and I found something I call as "respecting the integrity of the ribcage"... :)
After hip roll I take the whole ribcage from the bottom corner of the spearing side, and I twist it like a skewer just as CoachSuzanne told us to do ;)
Then, I glide on the "Shinji weight shift track" which I believe and hope is a line that goes on the side of the body from under the armpit to the shoulder and to the gliding arm.

Wish me luck, I need it when I try to learn something by guessing.
I am stack half way between Tokyo and California but whose complaining?... ;)

I swear that its all really happening to me and its not a tease. If I only knew Japanese to interact with the Japanese swimmers...
Once in a while I post some nonsense and then go back to the pool. Thats not so cool but I am used to it by now...
I apologize for wasting the forum members time. Maybe this time I am on the path to progress.

Last edited by swimust : 03-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2013

jenson1a

Re: the dryland drill in the Shinji video. I confess I have no idea what the drill is trying to get across since I don't speak Japanese. Is it just a "loosening up" drill starting with the neck? is he saying we rotate different parts of the body separately? It would be nice if there was something that might translate what Shinji is saying, it would be appreciated.

Sherry
Old 04-04-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Re: the dryland drill in the Shinji video. I confess I have no idea what the drill is trying to get across since I don't speak Japanese. Is it just a "loosening up" drill starting with the neck? is he saying we rotate different parts of the body separately? It would be nice if there was something that might translate what Shinji is saying, it would be appreciated.

Sherry
Hi,
I wouldn't recommend listening to me too much. I am still learning and not quitting... :)
Anyways, there is an English caption saying "long axis drill" at the start of the clip when you see the swimmer.
Its a Shinji technique, its not the traditional TI technique. You can read the Ladyfish (user name) thread about her workshop with Shinji to learn more. Its different than the traditional TI swim and I do not want to confuse you.

opsss... I forgot to mention that this thread was also another load of crap ("ribcage integrity"... ?!?!). just a part of the learning path.
I hope (and believe) that my last new thread is "for real": http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=4309
god I am nuts. Thank god that the admins here are patient and understand that some of us cant use TI workshops and coaches. "Try and error" is our only option.
Thanks admins !!

Last edited by swimust : 04-04-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013

Richardsk

Hi swimust

I'm glad to hear that your process of trial and error is leading to success. As the old saying goes: 'try, try and try again'.

As you no doubt know, the long axis strokes (front and back crawl) are distinguished from the short axis strokes ( breaststroke and butterfly) by the fact that the rotation is around the imaginary line that goes from the head to the feet.

Obviously one can rotate the head, shoulders and hips independently and I believe that is what Shinji is speaking about in the video. Some coaches, Mike Bottom for instance, distinguish between shoulder driven crawl, used mainly by sprinters, where the main rotation is of the shoulder girdle, hip driven crawl and finally body driven crawl, where the whole body rotates as one, which would, I suppose, be the classic TI stroke. One can, I imagine, emphasise shoulder or hips within a body driven stroke, and perhaps Shinji is mentioning that. I certainly hear him using the Japanese word koshi, meaning hip, which I happen to know from my Judo studies long ago. It's about the only word I could make out unfortunately.
Old 04-05-2013

MarkkuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi swimust
I'm glad to hear that your process of trial and error is leading to success. As the old saying goes: 'try, try and try again'.
The coaches can only point in which direction to go (or swim :-)), but we must find the way on are own.

I think it's also important to swim often.

After years of plateauing, I now see some progress (lower SPL), after I have started to swim three times a week. Doing the TI drills with different focal points, as we have been teached. No magic, just do it!

These texts have been helpful to me:
http://www.swimwellblog.com/archives/1213/
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...1525#post31525

Last edited by MarkkuS : 04-05-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2013

swimust

Quote:
...the long axis strokes (front and back crawl) are distinguished from the short axis strokes ( breaststroke and butterfly) by the fact that the rotation is around the imaginary line that goes from the head to the feet.
It took me about a zillion times of repeated watching to notice that the swimmer's nose(!) at the start of this dryland video is exactly above the thin dark line on the pool floor!! His nose is not leaving the line on the floor during the 2 strokes. http://sproutvideo.com/videos/1c98d2b41b10efc594
If you understand the whole swim correctly, you can achieve such balance. If you don't understand what to do and when, then no chance of that.
Until now I didn't had the understanding of the big picture of how the "Shinji machine" works. Now I can work on balance, feeling the water, etc. I was already working on that but I had no chance of achieving that without a proper technique.

Last edited by swimust : 04-06-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
It took me about a zillion times of repeated watching to notice that the swimmer's nose(!) at the start of this dryland video is exactly above the thin dark line on the pool floor!! His nose is not leaving the line on the floor during the 2 strokes.
Lesson 1: Keep your head still. ;)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-07-2013

Richardsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
But you will need to turn the head a little to breathe, I think, and certainly can't keep your nose pointing at the black (or blue) line while breathing.
Old 04-07-2013

swimust

Quote:
But you will need to turn the head a little to breathe, I think, and certainly can't keep your nose pointing at the black (or blue) line while breathing.
Shinji can do anything. He breathes underwater ;)
It shows only two no breathing strokes. of course that you twist the head while breathing and then you go back to holding the head still.

Last edited by swimust : 04-07-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Nice to see that you are keeping a remote interest in my nonsense. ;) Its for the better. At the moment I dont need smart coaches to overwhelm me. I am fragile enough as it is. I need to understand and figure out things on my own. Any advice will just confuse me more... :)