Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-07-2013
borate borate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 533
borate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
I need to understand and figure out things on my own. Any advice will just confuse me more... :)
No one will make fun of your stroke footage. It's obvious that your efforts are in earnest.

Tips that folks cite in response to seeing you swim can be targeted, and will be far less confusing than those based on verbal impressions.

So it's time to take that deep breath (not UNDER water) and go for it...

Last edited by borate : 04-07-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2013
swimust swimust is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 832
swimust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
No one will make fun of your stroke footage. It's obvious that your efforts are in earnest.

You may find specific tips that folks cite in response to your footage are far less confusing than trying to explain concepts in writing.

Take a deep breath (not UNDER water) and go for it...
Thanks. I know that you mean well but until I know exactly what I am doing in the water I will not make a clip. Thats because I will get advices about the classic TI style which is different than the Shinji style. It will just confuse me more. On this forum I guess that only "CoachDavidShen" and "Ladyfish" can really help me with practical advice. BUT I am on my way to swim. I will know very soon where I stand at the moment. I have "to close the deal" with the long axis concept tomorrow at the pool! :)
It was great on Thursday. I will see. I think that I got it correctly and that I was doing it on Thursday.
The fact that Shinji shows the hip roll and the torso twist inside a clip called "long axis drill" is a BIG hint in itself for non Japanese speakers!
I should be paid for the last line above... ;)
__________________
you must be a donkey before you become a dolphin.

Last edited by swimust : 04-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2013
borate borate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 533
borate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
...That's because I will get advices about the classic TI style which is different than the Shinji style.
I don't see that distinction. Shinji has beautiful balance and graceful streamline - which I'll wager few can duplicate - but his basic style, as evidenced here does not differ significantly from Terry's, in my estimation.

It would be enlightening if Terry cared to chime in with his take on this...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2013
CoachSuzanne CoachSuzanne is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,453
CoachSuzanne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
I don't see that distinction. Shinji has beautiful balance and graceful streamline - which I'll wager few can duplicate - but his basic style, as evidenced here does not differ significantly from Terry's, in my estimation.

It would be enlightening if Terry cared to chime in with his take on this...
I agree it doesn't differ significantly. 2 different bodies, 2 different swimmers, same essential elements. Shinji's swim is more energetic than Terry's which Terry has discussed before. To each his own. Both follow the essential laws of balance, streamlining, propelling, biomechanics and fluid dynamics.

Swimmust, you are doing yourself a disservice by not taking a video of your stroke. You will learn much faster with it, even if no one else sees it.
__________________
Suzanne Atkinson, MD
Level 3 USAT Coach
USA Paralympic Triathlon Coach
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2013
swimust swimust is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 832
swimust
Default

Thanks for all this will to help me from both of you. Its appreciated.
I will see what happens next in my swim and decide about a video. My fear is that I will get confused even more by the replies. I need direct fixes of specific parts in my swim, and advices about streamline, balance, etc will not help me.
Thanks again for the good will :)

P.S. - Of course that both swim styles are based on the same principals of the TI swim, but there is a difference in the way the same goals are achieved. Its a "same family" relation.
__________________
you must be a donkey before you become a dolphin.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2013
azamy azamy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Herat
Posts: 124
azamy
Default

Swimust,

I am afraid you'll end up with a "Swimust TI Style" if the confusion resists to exist. I am sure you want to learn the Shinji style so the first step to get rid of any confusion is to forget about Classic TI as you put it. Do a frame by frame analysis of Shinji's swim videos and make focal points - work them out one by one. I believe you can do it and there should remain no confusion :)

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2013
rcrawf rcrawf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 50
rcrawf
Default

Swimsuit,

I'm pretty sure your "fear" is standing in the way of progress. Time to man up. If you are hyper-sensitive to criticism, perhaps just post a video with one focal point in mind, say "Shinji weight shift". The coaches are so nice here, they won't bite! And will respond to your singular needs or requests. Time to break the ice, and get the ball rolling. Looking forward to your first video, even if it's only a superman glide.

Rich
__________________
finflappinflounder
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2013
swimust swimust is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 832
swimust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamy View Post
Swimust,

I am afraid you'll end up with a "Swimust TI Style" if the confusion resists to exist. I am sure you want to learn the Shinji style so the first step to get rid of any confusion is to forget about Classic TI as you put it. Do a frame by frame analysis of Shinji's swim videos and make focal points - work them out one by one. I believe you can do it and there should remain no confusion :)

Good luck
no cant do. I need to KNOW JAPANESE. That's the only sure way to fix the mess or continue to work hard as usual. Shinji's technique is too accurate and "detailed" to be figured out by just watching. That's what I am doing for the last months/years and "just watching" is no good.
__________________
you must be a donkey before you become a dolphin.

Last edited by swimust : 04-08-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-08-2013
swimust swimust is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 832
swimust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawf View Post
Swimsuit,

I'm pretty sure your "fear" is standing in the way of progress. Time to man up. If you are hyper-sensitive to criticism, perhaps just post a video with one focal point in mind, say "Shinji weight shift". The coaches are so nice here, they won't bite! And will respond to your singular needs or requests. Time to break the ice, and get the ball rolling. Looking forward to your first video, even if it's only a superman glide.

Rich
I trust the coaches here of course, but they will reply about something else than my swim judging from their own "classic TI" perspective. I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks
__________________
you must be a donkey before you become a dolphin.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.