Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013

che9194
Default Looking for critique of stroke technique video

Uploaded video of freestyle stroke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Dx9...ature=youtu.be

If the video is confusing, here is how it worked. I swam 75 yards with 2 cameras (one above surface and another underwater) located at the opposite end of pool from the starting wall. The video sequence is as follows:
--First 50 yards (includes flip turn):
Regular speed above water, then slo-mo above water. Regular speed underwater, then slo-mo underwater
--Last 25 yards:
Regular speed above water, then slo-mo above water. Regular speed below water, then slo-mo underwater

Issues that I see are:
1. Hip and shoulder rotation (core) connection could be improved
2. Impatient lead hand causing timing issue, particularly in last 25 yards (from fatigue?)
3. Too much kicking
4. Recovery arms (elbow and hands) are too high above water surface
5. Strange angle of hand entry (fingers pointed outward)

All critiques are welcome!

(PS the bonus track at the end is not me)

Last edited by che9194 : 01-31-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2013

boken
Default I agree

You listed most of the things I saw. +1 especially on the patient lead arm. Also in the first set it looked like you may have been overrotating on the right, but it was hard to tell and it did not seem to appear in the second series. About the kick -- it was again hard to see but please check that your rotation is initiated by the diagonal leg, even if you choose to keep a flutter/6-beat kick. There were a few shots close to the wall where it looked like the kick timing was not linked to your stroke but that may have just been because you were coming to the wall.

Cheers
Old 01-30-2013

azamy

Nice stroke!

You can make the hand entry a little smoother I believe and as I noticed your hand and elbow enter the water almost at the same time causing splash. Try the mail slot entry drills if you have the PMF (Perpetual Motion Freestyle) DVD.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2013

ernewill

Are your hands a little high after entry? You left hand seems to tip up a little which will cause a delay when you want to start your pull. Otherwise I agree with your observations and the other commenters about the splash on entry, etc. About your quick. Seems like you have been swimming a long time and are one of those lucky people with a lot of flexibility in your foot and ankle. You seem to get a lot of propulsion from your kick. So, as long as it is properly coordinated with your stroke, it is a nice advantage. Wish I could kick like that.
Old 01-31-2013

che9194

Thank you all for the feedback

I think I do over rotate on the right. It might be an overcompensation to recently learning how to bilaterally breathe (thank you swim and nod drill!).

My left hand pull is much stronger than my right. It is a subtle feeling of strength when pulling with left hand vs right. Left arm engages my whole core, where my right only engages my arm. An extremely subtle but noticeable feeling that might not even show up on video.

My kick is a mess. I am a slow kicker compared to others in my lane. Then again, they use kickboards and I do not. I think my kick is throwing my timing off. Lane-mates tell me that my kick is BIG (and downright distracting). I really wish I could learn a 2-beat kick. Have tried but just can’t get the hang of it

Will definitely focus on mail slot. I noticed the “tip up” with my left hand as well.

I am actually an adult onset swimmer. Swam for 5 years with Masters in my early 20’s and have been swimming for a year and a half after a 15-year absence. I took a TI course in 1995 but quit swimming shortly thereafter. Have used many of the TI concepts to get back pretty quickly. Will never use a tempo trainer though. Can’t imagine listening to an annoying beep in my ear while trying to swim :) I feel like I have a pretty good sense of stroke rate without it. Reminds me of a heart rate monitor when I used to run. I got to the point where I knew my heart rate before I looked at it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2013

daveblt

[quote=che9194;34267]Thank you all for the feedback

I think I do over rotate on the right. .

You may be rotating just a bit more to your right than your left but you do not appear to be over rotating on your right though .

Dave
Old 02-01-2013

mjm
Default Left Hand

Che: lots of things look great to me: relaxed, high, recovery arms, (nice shoulder flexibility!), horizontal position, no dropped elbow. The one item that sticks out--your left hand points sideways when you spear forward and while you breathe to your right side. The left hand might be serving as a counterbalance and platform for you to get your breath.

The consequences: you don't spear as far forward with your left arm, you don't rotate as much on your left side, your left arm catch and pull is outside your bodyline, unlike your right arm catch and pull which is mostly under your torso.

It may take awhile to get this ingrained habit corrected. Concentrate on keeping those left-hand fingers pointed directly at the far wall, Have some one watch or film you while you swim when you THINK the left hand is pointing straight. Try exaggerating the reach forward with the left arm while you breathe.

Great swimming and video by the way though underwater was a little murky. Does your camera have an underwater setting like the Kodak Playsport Zx5?

mjm