Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013

azamy
Default Bent Knee & Longer left arm?

Hola Amigos,

I have two issues to put on the floor and ask you for help:

1. How can I get rid of the bent knee? Last week I and my friends took some videos for analysis including some underwater shots. The timing of my 2bk is okay but there is a problem, after the kick my knee bends and that creates drag. Are there any drills in the water/on dry land to work on and get rid of this knee bend?

2. When I push off from the wall, 95% of the time my left arm is leading and I take the first stroke with my right arm. I believe that my left arm is longer now than my right arm. Is this possible? Has this happened to anyone else? I feel the difference when I bench press in the gym, last evening I noticed that it even looks longer than my right arm :s If this possible or exists in others, is there a way to balance both sides?

please update me with your knowledge on this.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2013

Richardsk

Hi azamy. or Hola or Hal e shoma chetour e?

Nobody is completely symmetrical so it is quite possible that one of your arms is longer than the other. I think one of my legs is longer than the other but it doesn't bother me or cause any problems that I know of.

Your knee should be slightly bent at the beginning of the kick and the knee joint should never be locked. Too much knee bend is bad and causes drag but it is hard to know how much is too much. I think the answer is to think 'toes' rather than 'knees'. I would be interested to hear others' views.
Old 01-13-2013

CoachToby

Azamy, I'm pretty sure that the length of your arms won't be affected by your swimming.

If the knee of the kicking leg is bending immediately after the kick, sounds to me like it may be some kind of stabilising action. Practice the 2bk while doing Overswitches, focusing on streamlining the legs: try to hold the feet together in between the kicks - if you find this awkward or difficult, that's a possible indication that you're using the legs as stabilisers.

Posting your video here will allow coaches to give you more tailored advice.
Old 01-13-2013

Scotty

Azamy:

Check your shoulder alignment as a contributing factor to the perception that one arm has grown longer than the other. Unlike racquet sports, swimming is very symmetrical. I am sure that if you counted strokes with the left and right arm over a long period of time you would be close to 50-50 percent.

I have heard that baseball pitchers sometimes end their career with one arm longer than another due to the contortion of shoulder and elbow when throwing different types of pitches.

Perhaps our medical expert Coach Suzanne has seen some Pittsburgh Pirate pitchers in her medical practice.

Scott
Old 01-13-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamy View Post
Hola Amigos,
¡Hola!

Quote:
1. How can I get rid of the bent knee? Last week I and my friends took some videos for analysis including some underwater shots. The timing of my 2bk is okay but there is a problem, after the kick my knee bends and that creates drag. Are there any drills in the water/on dry land to work on and get rid of this knee bend?
If the pool where you swim has a deep end, you might find it helpful to do vertical kicking. Fold your arms across your chest and keep your head above water by kicking. Kick from your hips and ankles - not from your knees. When you start to feel comfortable with this, add quarter rotations, first to your right, then to your left. You can transition to horizontal kicking by doing vertical kicking and then "falling back" onto your back while still doing it.

Quote:
2. When I push off from the wall, 95% of the time my left arm is leading and I take the first stroke with my right arm. I believe that my left arm is longer now than my right arm. Is this possible? Has this happened to anyone else? I feel the difference when I bench press in the gym, last evening I noticed that it even looks longer than my right arm :s If this possible or exists in others, is there a way to balance both sides?
Do you mean that only one arm is forward when you push off? You should be pushing off with both arms forward, hand over hand, wrist over wrist, and then stroke back to a skating position.

I suspect that it's a matter of shoulder position - not arm length. Try standing in front of a mirror, lift one arm over your head, and then (while keeping the arm over your head), try lifting your shoulder on that side as high as it will go. I think you'll find that the shoulder lift makes quite a bit of difference. If you're doing it more on one side than on the other, it can make the arm on that side seem longer.

Bob
Old 01-14-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Just want to say that most certainly one are can be longer as a result of always leading with the same arm. it's not the arm that's grown, it's the muscles that bind the shoulder blade that have gotten looser and increased your range of motion.

Solutions:
-massage
-yoga (downward dog!!!)
-consciously lead with the other arm
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-14-2013

azamy
Default I appreciate the feedback

Thank you dear coaches and fellow TI'ers. I appreciate the feedback and will certainly print all your responses and pay attention to all the advice.

@ Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi azamy. or Hola or Hal e shoma chetour e?
"Hal am khob ast" (I am fine, with smiles :)

@ CoachToby
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToby View Post
Posting your video here will allow coaches to give you more tailored advice.
I just uploaded the video on youtube. I will post the link in another thread.

@ CoachBobM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
If the pool where you swim has a deep end, you might find it helpful to do vertical kicking. Fold your arms across your chest and keep your head above water by kicking. Kick from your hips and ankles - not from your knees. When you start to feel comfortable with this, add quarter rotations, first to your right, then to your left. You can transition to horizontal kicking by doing vertical kicking and then "falling back" onto your back while still doing it.
Your detailed response is much appreciated. I will go to the pool today and will try this. I am going to upload a video as I mentioned so you can see where the problem lays.

@ Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Check your shoulder alignment as a contributing factor to the perception that one arm has grown longer than the other. Unlike racquet sports, swimming is very symmetrical. I am sure that if you counted strokes with the left and right arm over a long period of time you would be close to 50-50 percent.
You are right. In my first post what I forgot to mention is that years back I used to train full time in a boxing club, I don't know how to put this together but you might understand what I am saying. I am a left leg - left arm front boxer (I still train 2 days a week, this is Afghanistan and Herat has the highest rate of kidnappings for ransom money and they ask the victim's families to pay them in US $ I try to make sure I can break a few jaws before I become a victim ;-) So a lot of punching with the left arm might be a contributing factor.

@ CoachSuzanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
it's not the arm that's grown, it's the muscles that bind the shoulder blade that have gotten looser and increased your range of motion.

Solutions:
-massage
-yoga (downward dog!!!)
-consciously lead with the other arm
You can't be wrong! I tried to flex both my arms in different ways and I see that my left arm and the shoulder blade have more flexibility than the right. The solutions you suggested will hopefully balance them.

Thanks again everyone

Eid
Old 01-14-2013

Richardsk

Hi azamy

Dari harf mizani? Man yek kam farsi mizanam.

You are what is known as a a southpaw in boxing terms but if your left arm is stronger than your right you should really have your right leg forward and then your left punch would be more powerful and your kidnappers would be sorry they tried to kidnap you.

Your swimming looks very promising but I think you have a slight tendency to raise your chin. I have the same tendency and have been trying for a long time to eliminate it. If you really have this tendency you can feel the tension in the muscles at the back of your neck.

Yoga exercises for the neck and shoulders are very useful, I find.
Old 01-14-2013

CharlesCouturier

Azamy, based on your clip posted not long ago, I doubt that your leg kick action

1. would cause any excessive drag resistance due to bending the knees
2. that your leg action be faulty in any way

I really like what you do with your leg kick. Is it enough to guarantee the best possible body position? That I don't know. But the way your legs move is fine.

That though, applies to the context of your clip, ie extremely low rate swimming (close to 1.5). How would this leg kick would look like at 1.0, that I don't know.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 01-14-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
That though, applies to the context of your clip, ie extremely low rate swimming (close to 1.5). How would this leg kick would look like at 1.0, that I don't know.

One way to find out!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle