Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2016
ola_tio

Default Any Help Appreciated...

Hi, so I am training to do my SLSGB (Surf life saving course) the exam is this August.

I have to swim 16 lengths (standard pool) in under 7.5 mins. I am a terrible swimmer.

I bought the TI book, which has helped an awful lot. It has given me a stroke that means I can now swim 8 sets of 2 lengths each ( I have to catch my breath before continuing for between 30 seconds to a minute) a VAST improvement from 2 months ago, however I still have an awful long way to go. My average time for 16 lengths at the moment is 20 mins.

I swim three times a week.

I need to shave 12.5 minutes off my personal best in just over two months.
Any Advice?
Old 05-12-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ola_tio View Post
Hi, so I am training to do my SLSGB (Surf life saving course) the exam is this August.

I have to swim 16 lengths (standard pool) in under 7.5 mins. I am a terrible swimmer.

I bought the TI book, which has helped an awful lot. It has given me a stroke that means I can now swim 8 sets of 2 lengths each ( I have to catch my breath before continuing for between 30 seconds to a minute) a VAST improvement from 2 months ago, however I still have an awful long way to go. My average time for 16 lengths at the moment is 20 mins.

I swim three times a week.

I need to shave 12.5 minutes off my personal best in just over two months.
Any Advice?
Great to see another TI swimmer here!

First, there is a new TI teaching material package called Ultra-Efficient Freestyle: http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.VzSMs2YuogU

I would encourage you to check that out - the old yellow and blue book is good but we have updated our teaching methods substantially since then.

Otherwise, I would call your attention to the order we like to teach freestyle, which is mastering balance first, then streamline, then propulsion. I would say that most problems in swimmers comes usually from poor balance in the water. So I would always take a look at that and improve it whenever possible.

Self evaluation is very hard in the water. it is impossible to look at yourself move. If you can, you should consider buying a cheap Gopro clone on amazon so that you can video yourself a lot and then you can review or post here for comments.

Good luck with your swimming and keep us posted!
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/
Old 05-12-2016
ola_tio

ok great ill film myself and take a look, thanks,
Old 05-17-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

In addition to what David mentioned, you might also want to look at the TI DVD on doing turns:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.VzuG-ZDmp9A

If you are going to be taking your test in a pool, you will be doing a total of 15 turns, so if your turns aren't efficient, that in itself can cost you a significant amount of time.

Bob