Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Default How to recognize when someone is drowning

With the summer a few weeks away, more of us will be out swimming with the masses in pools, lakes, rivers, and oceans. Most of us are not trained lifeguards so hereís a link to a 2010 article on how to recognize when someone is drowning.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Iíve got to admit that I was once in a lake (no lifeguard) when a lady who was less than 10-feet from me drowned. She slipped underwater quickly and quietly. She was underwater for several minutes before her son noticed she was missing and pulled her out of the water. I donít know if she survived. Iíve always had some gnawing guilty that I should have known she was in distress, but I was simply too focus on my own swimming. I rationalized that she probably had a heart attack, but it still didnít make me feel good.

Video of instrictive drowning response:

http://mariovittone.com/2011/07/vide...ning-response/

Of course, if you donít have the skills, you should never attempt a rescue if youíre going to end up being a victim too. There is, however, a skill that everyone should know how to do - give CPR.
Old 05-18-2014

Jellybean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
Iíve got to admit that I was once in a lake (no lifeguard) when a lady who was less than 10-feet from me drowned. She slipped underwater quickly and quietly. She was underwater for several minutes before her son noticed she was missing and pulled her out of the water. I donít know if she survived. Iíve always had some gnawing guilty that I should have known she was in distress, but I was simply too focus on my own swimming. I rationalized that she probably had a heart attack, but it still didnít make me feel good.
That would have been a sobering experience. It was good to see the video clip.
Cheers
Tony
Old 05-19-2014

Ron Bear

I'm not a lifeguard, but I have actually rescued two people from drowning. One of them was unconcious when I removed him from the water, but he didn't need CPR as he started coughing about the time I started hollering for help.
Ron
Old 05-20-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Of course, if you donít have the skills, you should never attempt a rescue if youíre going to end up being a victim too. There is, however, a skill that everyone should know how to do - give CPR.
Be aware that it's not just a matter of having skills. An on-duty lifeguard will normally have with them a large implement called a rescue tube that is designed to assist the lifeguard in performing rescues. I have my own rescue tube, and will bring it with me if I'm giving a lesson in a backyard pool or lake which has no lifeguard. It is not entirely safe for even a fully trained lifeguard to try to rescue someone without proper equipment.

Bob
Old 05-27-2014

Talvi
Default Sobering stuff

"Ė of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In ten percent of those drownings, the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening. Drowning does not look like drowning "

Sobering statistics, and it's the #2 cause of accidental death for children under 15 years.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-27-2014

jenson1a

This is a very sober and informative thread. Just yesterday we heard on the news that Daytona Beach in florida (east coast) had warnings up for rip currents. The lifeguards went out on almost 200 rescues! Fortunately, no one drowned. It pays to be aware

Sherry
Old 05-28-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
With the summer a few weeks away, more of us will be out swimming with the masses in pools, lakes, rivers, and oceans. Most of us are not trained lifeguards so hereís a link to a 2010 article on how to recognize when someone is drowning.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Video of instrictive drowning response:

http://mariovittone.com/2011/07/vide...ning-response/

Best thread I've read in a long time!
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 07-06-2014

Mike from NS

I've almost drowned twice. Well maybe that is a bit dramatic ... but in my mind at the time ... it was all over except for the funeral.

First time at a beach ... late summer ... and not crowded. This was before any swim knowledge or even discovery of Total Immersion. I had almost decided to take some swimming lessons and this experience caused me to put that thought on hold for a couple of years. I was resolved to stay away from the water. (And I have a speed boat !) The tide was farther out than I had seen before and therefore the bottom was different. Generally I kept a close eye on the shoreline and breast-stroked along with snorkel and mask. This day I went too long before checking where I was --- and when I did check, I found myself heading to sea. Panic set in and I started yelling for help. It was a scary time indeed. There was no help and I finally felt the bottom. Think I must have walked on water for a bit. The second time was at the outdoor pool, where I'm headed shortly. (Eric - Bedford pool is open !)
Somehow I got a mouthful of water and started choking. Again panic set in. I went under a few times and when I came up I motioned to the lifeguard to come and get me (please). This was shortly after the first lessons but before any confidence had developed.

So if you see someone panicking in the water it may be an indication of potential drowning. Fast thrashing movements or yelling for help are indicators to me that trouble is at hand.

Mike