Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2009

Filarias
Default Please comment those videos! I lost my effortless feeling..

Hi all!

A couple of months ago I was able to feel the famous "effortless" swimming and having the impression to be able to swim for ever. For many reasons I had to stop swimming for a while. As I retunred in the pool, this fantastic feeling wasn't reproducible any more. I don't have a clue what happened, so I asked my wife to video me. My coach-cam wasn't available so we have only fone-view-footing. I would be grateful for any comments.

Many thanks

Stefanos

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...64829116531325

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...95352412095015
Old 03-30-2009

daveblt

I think all you need to do is to keep the head down just a little more and to enter the arms just a drop wider .Looking good ! nice and balanced !

Dave
Old 03-30-2009

Jamwhite

It looks to me like your not doing marionette arms. You are reaching with your hand and so your forearm is pressing against the arm causing drag and loosing power.

I cannot your legs well, but they look to splay out a bit. If you are trying a 2-beat kick, you should not need to wind-up the kick. Instead, try pressing against the water underneath your leg to rotate your hips so you skate on the opposite side.

You may want to really focus on trying to get as much glide as possible for a little while. I find that helps me get back efficency.

Really you look pretty good from what I can see though.
Old 03-30-2009

Filarias

Thanks a lot both of you for your comments. I see your points and I'll work on them. Thanks again.

Stefanos
Old 03-31-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filarias View Post
Hi all!

A couple of months ago I was able to feel the famous "effortless" swimming and having the impression to be able to swim for ever...As I returned in the pool, this fantastic feeling wasn't reproducible any more. I don't have a clue what happened, ...

Stefanos
Stefanos-

Looks like you have been working on developing an early vertical forearm -- I don't remember seeing that in the video you posted several months ago.

Is my interpretation correct?

Has the loss of "effortless swimming" coincided with developing EVF?

If so, I have some specific recommendations for you based on my experience with learning EVF.

Clark
Old 03-31-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Early Vertical Forearm? See my blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
Stefanos-

Looks like you have been working on developing an early vertical forearm -- I don't remember seeing that in the video you posted several months ago.

Is my interpretation correct?

Has the loss of "effortless swimming" coincided with developing EVF?

If so, I have some specific recommendations for you based on my experience with learning EVF.

Clark
Read my most recent blog, on the subject of EVF, and other aspects of seeking to emulate elite swimmers.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-31-2009

RadSwim

Terry-

Regarding my experience with EVF, here are my answers to your questions.

1) Does this technique reduce drag or improve propulsion? improve propulsion primarily, with several unexpected changes in body position that improve streamline

2) How quickly can I learn this technique?
2 years and still learning. The ongoing journey continues to be very fulfilling. I am swimming farther, faster, and easier than ever.

3) Will I be able to perform this "stroke tweak" with my existing level of foundation skills? Yes, but I had to develop additional strength and flexibility to realize the full benefits. In the beginning, EVF was just a slightly different feel in my stroke that I could not see on video. With concentrated drilling, it began to feel very different, and it became visible on underwater video. I am now learning to integrate core power into EVF to get the same "connected" swimming feel that I learned from TI -- connected and faster.

Several regulars on the discussion forum are now working on EVF. I recommend it as a worthwhile goal for those who have achieved a reasonable level of mastery of basic swimming skills and are looking for further improvement.

I don't see EVF as a skill limited to an elite few. Lots of us can learn EVF and benefit from the resultant increase in core, back, and shoulder strength.

Clark
Old 03-31-2009

Filarias

Clark,

good observation. I had EVF already implemented as I had this beautiful effortless feeling a couple of months ago. So what this conecrens no change in my stroke between then and now. To me EVF improved the stability of "holding" the water and letting the body pass over my holfing EVF. More, it improved the overall timing (to my taste). However, I would be grateful if you could elaborate a bit from your experience and offer me/us some tech tips & tricks.

I suppose my lost effortless feeling has to do with some derranged timing within the stroke's sequence (e.g. downwards kick (2B)-hip drive-spearing) + some loss of water specific training.

Stefanos
Old 03-31-2009

Filarias

Terry,

thanks for jumping in! Of course "my" EVF is not Thorpe's EVF!! My EVF is an approximation: I try to pop up a little my leading arm's shoulder and move on the same time the leading arm towards a vertical position to hold on the water untill the spearing arm enters the surface. In the same time I find that this maneuver prevents too much rotation, i.e. achieving "just enough rotation". What do you think about it?
And another one: would you agree that the loss of my effortlessness could be a loss of finetuning in the stroke sequence? Can you see somethnig similar in the posted videos?

Thanks again for jumping in and for all this mental & practical framework you provide us with TI.

Stefanos
Old 03-31-2009

mjm
Default Crooked

Filarias:

If I were you I wouldn't worry so much about EVF. Repeat superman glide and superman flutter.

Your body line is crooked. Look at it compared to the middle black line in the 2nd video. You push off crooked and your body line is all over the place resulting in at least one non-efficient element--that wide legs-apart kick. SG and SF will help get you in line and steamlined.

BTW. I am so jealous of that pool where you swim. 50 meters? Wow. Beautiful.

mjm

Last edited by mjm : 03-31-2009 at 02:06 PM.