Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009

saveup
Default How do you do two beat kick?

New to swimming: I do just great with fins in doing drills. When I take off the fins, my legs turn into frog legs. They are not stream line as they are when I have fins on. What drill can I do to stream line my legs? I do not have the problem with the fins. What drills are there to learn the Two beat kick? How do you do two beat kick?
Old 03-27-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveup View Post
New to swimming: I do just great with fins in doing drills. When I take off the fins, my legs turn into frog legs. They are not stream line as they are when I have fins on. What drill can I do to stream line my legs? I do not have the problem with the fins. What drills are there to learn the Two beat kick? ]

I would suggest you try kicking in the skating position with the fins on for now .You have to try to keep the legs as straight as possible with very little knee bend .Try not to kick from the knee down .The kick comes from the midsection through the top of the legs.

[ How do you do two beat kick?
In a proper two beat kick the down kick of one leg happens as the opposite arm enters the water . The right side arm pulls as the right leg upbeats and vice versa.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-27-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2009

edlevin
Default Caution on two beat kick

I have had two TI coaches. They both urged me not to try to learn the two beat kick. It's deceptively difficult to master. They both said to just do a light flutter kick, try to stay streamlined. Concentrate on what's going on up front - that's by far the most important thing if you're a beginner.

Last edited by edlevin : 03-28-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlevin View Post
I have had two TI coaches. They both urged me not to try to learn the two beat kick. It's deceptively difficult to master. They both said to just do a light flutter kick, try to stay streamlined. Concentrate on what's going on up front - that's by far the most important thing if you're a beginner.
edlevin, that's interesting because the coaches that I learned from really emphasize the two-beat and even though I've only been swimming since October 2008, I've found it not as difficult as some. For me the two-beat really does help with 02 because even a light flutter can burn you out over time in my humble opinion. But at the same time if the two-beat is frustrating for some, your right, concentrate on a light flutter until one has more confidence to try a two-beat.
Old 03-28-2009

daveblt

The most frustrating thing I find with the 2 beat is if you naturally want to kick down with the same side arm entering it takes time and practice to get your brain to work the other way .It is not something that will happen overnight as in the case of my stubborn left leg. However it is important to balance and find support from the water to help keep your hips from locking up and free to move .

Dave
Old 03-28-2009

splashingpat
Default stubborn left leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
The most frustrating thing I find with the 2 beat is if you naturally want to kick down with the same side arm entering it takes time and practice to get your brain to work the other way .It is not something that will happen overnight as in the case of my stubborn left leg. However it is important to balance and find support from the water to help keep your hips from locking up and free to move .

Dave
it must of absorbed something in your head!
I miss you!
pat
Old 03-29-2009

Jamwhite

I am helping my wife learn to swim with TI drills. We have a different situation than a clinic because she can try again and again different days, but I am trying to help her stay interested in doing underskate until she has mastered the 2-beat kick and gliding in skating.

Two things that I tell her are:

[Focal point] When your hand is at your face, use your kick to drive you into streamline

Remember to use the properties of water to your advantage. A large mass pushing evenly against the water compresses in into a hard surface. [Focal point] Use this surface to turn your hips in the kick.