Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010

Jona57
Default Most technique progress when tired??

I'm middle aged swimming newb (50M max 1 yr ago) who found TI principles as key to allowing me to do triathlon (up to Oly distance so far). Been following TI principles (got video-no coaching) & worked up to 1mi swim last yr. Now studying Easy Freestyle video. Today I think I had break through. I swam 400M pretty hard, then another 200M. Technique seemed somehow poor but couldn't tell why. Did skating drill 25m R then L. Then just swam....swam another 1400+M & felt great. Somehow being tired allowed me to feel just what movements/positions cost me energy. That forced me to be more efficient. All I seemed to think about was being balanced & relaxed in the water. Swam consistent 2:20-2:25 100's (decent for me) with minimal effort for about as far as I've ever swum in my life. Felt like I could go on like that all day, but stopped 'cause I needed to get in my daily run (4mi after the 2000M swim session). Felt pretty decent after.

Terry seems to advise stopping swim session when your technique deteriorates to avoid ingraining bad habits, but today I seemed to do better when I was tired. I think it may be because I had to do things better to avoid wasting energy. Anyone else feel like they might ingrain good habits only after they are very tired?
Old 01-14-2010

StillSilentMind

Jona, it has been my experience especially when learning a new technique or motion, that there is a feeling out period where it takes time to get all the moving parts synchronized. In the meantime, you end up fighting with your various muscles. For me, it is at the point of fatigue where my body is too tired to fight itself, and finds (if only for a short while) that 'sweet' spot where everything just clicks. I think of it as getting out of the way so that my body can do what it feels is right.

I also agree that you can learn some bad habits, so I dont usually go too long in fatigue mode. I think that one of the main tenets here is to be mindful of when you start making one mistake after the other.
Old 01-14-2010

ewa.swimmer

I think almost all of my "AHA!" moments have been on ow swims. I won't say that it is when I'm tired but more that my body has given up fighting the water at all and I am very relaxed. I can't get that same feeling in the pool because those blasted walls keep breaking up the flow.
Old 01-15-2010

Jona57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
I can't get that same feeling in the pool because those blasted walls keep breaking up the flow.
Agree. I'm lucky to have access to lakes for swimming (can't wait for summer!). Solo OWS practice seems better for developing rhythm & "flow". And 50M pool (when I can get access) is much better than 25yd facility.
Old 01-16-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
I think almost all of my "AHA!" moments have been on ow swims. I won't say that it is when I'm tired but more that my body has given up fighting the water at all and I am very relaxed. I can't get that same feeling in the pool because those blasted walls keep breaking up the flow.
ewa you hit the n ail right on the head for me! I find that my best results happen in open water. At the pool, just when I get that breakthrough the darn wall comes up on me and I have to go back the other way! Been working on lead elbow recovery a lot lately and today I had major progress because I Finally remembered that that the recovery works best when I'm still on a left or a right skate and not slowly starting to swim flat with very little hip drive as a result of said flatness.
Old 01-16-2010

mrauth
Default Agree

I have also found this to be the case for me as well. I discovered that when I swim after a run or bike ride that my form is sometimes better - perhaps from being warmed up. I am training for an Oly tri as well and recently swam my first continuous mile - although the form was not perfect I think you need to build mental confidence along with technique improvement to be prepared for a tri race.
Old 01-17-2010

flppr

i think my technique is best when i'm tired because i slow down and work more on staying balanced in the water. when i'm fresh, i'm so into moving as quickly as i can that i just kind of muscle it out. my hope is that someday, i'll be able to have speed AND good technique.
Old 01-17-2010

splashingpat
Default mental confidence comes from you! and itstherewaitingforyouto"see"it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauth View Post

I have also found this to be the case for me as well.

I discovered that when I swim after a run or bike ride that my form is sometimes better - perhaps from being warmed up.

I am training for an Oly tri as well and recently swam my first continuous mile - although the form was not perfect

I think you need to build mental confidence along with technique improvement to be prepared for a tri race.
I "see" a common thread here! and that is why
YOU have to swim - no one can do it for you...no matter who it is! and that is why the swimmers tell you to swim!

SWIM GUYS!
and
I love to tell ya how ifya'sonlywouldlistentome!YIKES

i loved this post
i got a lot for it
i hope you guys do too!

Last edited by splashingpat : 01-17-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2010

sabali33
Send a message via Yahoo to sabali33 Send a message via Skype™ to sabali33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona57 View Post
Agree. I'm lucky to have access to lakes for swimming (can't wait for summer!). Solo OWS practice seems better for developing rhythm & "flow". And 50M pool (when I can get access) is much better than 25yd facility.
i am usually not able to practice as mindfully as in the pool, though i get the same feel. I do not also seem to have as much control as that. Any help?
Old 01-23-2010

sabali33
Send a message via Yahoo to sabali33 Send a message via Skype™ to sabali33
Default Does this apply to you?

This has been my nineth month of TI practice. My swimming experience be4 TI had been a struggle. My shoulders and arms got tensed and tired each time after. When i started TI, at the earlier months i could swim longer but tiredness remained only at the shoulders. I thought it was a better feel. Then after some more months of practice, that tiredness had disappeared during practice. So now i get tired only mentally, not physically. Does anyone experience something similar?