Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2014

Talvi
Default Dear Charles, re. No-kick, One-kick drill ...

Werner has mentioned the benefits of Charles' kick drill: one length with no kicking at all, one length kicking with only one leg, one length with just the other leg, and finally one kicking on both sides normally.

My problem trying this is that my legs sink if I don't kick. I don't seem to be able to compensate for this sinking by exaggerating the FQ balance so it's like dragging weed!

Am I getting something wrong?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-29-2014

CharlesCouturier

I find this variation of my NAD-Full progression amusing, but it ain't from me though. I've never been there yet.

All I do is exactly what you mention, but find/replace leg by arm. No arm drill for 1/4, left arm for 1/4, right arm for 1/4, full stroke for the last 1/4.

As you learn, it's worth making reps at least 200m in durations. Here's a 100m (sorry for the poor quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYbvje2zecI

I mentioned a few times I think about a work in progress with a fun drill, with a kick board, you issue for instance 4k per leg then change leg for 4k then 2/2 2/2 then 8 single kicks done with a 2bk feel in mind. So no flutter. But I haven't thought about trying a full length.
Old 11-30-2014

Talvi
Default Werner?....

Werner? WERNER!!??!! *$%&£$%!

Thanks for clearing that up Charles. It had me very confused.

Watching your video I noticed a couple of things. The first is that your hand entry/arm entry is flat rather than the "classic" mailbox/spear style. It's something that's always confused me.

I first posted a thread about this, How to find the angle of the spearing arm?, over a year ago, after noticing the spear angle of TI swimmers varying from close to 45' to virtually flat. Most recently I noted it in Steve West's swimming on the Channel Crossing swim. Folk said Steve's stye was just on account of the lumpy water. No lumps in a pool though. How do you (as a non-TI coach) see this?

Also, you once write about stroking the Bernaise. At 1:04 your arm and palm are vertical but at appx 1:05 it looks like your palm is almost parallel to the bottom. It doesn't look like an illusion. Does it fit into the Bernaise feeling?

Lastly, no question, but rather an observation. I've been confused by the idea of the water cushioning the head into weightlessness etc. For me that resulted in a head below the water , late breathing and little time for breathing. I found I needed a slight angle to get good breathing. In your video at e.g 1:05/6 swimming at a rate of 1.17 TT as you breathe your head is indeed cushioned by the water but against the bow wave, so at an angle and not parallel to the pool bottom.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-30-2014

WFEGb

Hello Charles (Talvi),

Charles, no I didn't think about your NADs. Sure you once showed a kick-drill included a not optimal Video (because the swimmer kicked two times every stroke atlhough only one leg what he should...). This (much more simpler one than NASDs) I had in mind and think Talvi refers to:

First lap, swimming without a kick (both arms) Cottmiller's version but without an ankleband.

Second lap, right leg straight only left leg kicking (OBK) with both arms

Third lap, left lap straight only right kicking (OBK) with both arms.

Fourth lap, "normal stroke" with both arms and hopefully now well timed 2BK.

For me this drill is the best one for tuning my 2BK...

Now Talvi, if I understood right, has the problem with sinking legs in the first three laps.... and there he'd like to get some help.

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Right Talvi?
Old 11-30-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
... PS: Right Talvi?
Absolutely Werner :) but I understood Charles as saying "your" drill is nothing to do with him?

Charles wrote of this drill:
Quote:
it ain't from me though
So there's some confusion as to its origins :/

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 12-01-2014

WFEGb

Hello Talvi,

I'm still quite sure I've got this drill from Charles' hints... May be I'm wrong.

Although there should come some hints against your sinking legs. One FWIW from me:

If you push your SR a little faster, your legs don't have enough time to sink. And accepting a not absolute surface parallel body line, such as Terry while demonstrating the old fish drills, you should get it. (Funny when trying, often the first lap without any kick shows a stroke less than the next three.)

Hope you'll get some more professional hints.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-01-2014

CharlesCouturier

Bah I have many children, not all of which I am aware of lol

I like this idea though, which is normal if it's one I once had then forgot lol

I just which I had read this on Saturday since I had a class on 2bk yesterday, and this drill would have come in handy.
Old 12-01-2014
Banned

angelinamike

Swimming is just for the enjoyment, its totally up to you, how you get it!!!
Old 12-02-2014

WFEGb
Default Off topic!

Hello angelinamike,

Quote:
Swimming is just for the enjoyment, its totally up to you, how you get it!!!
LOL! Far too short! TI changes your whole life! Stay in a Little, and you'll recognize it by yourself.... and enjoy it.

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Long time ago I saw a film "MASH", a soldier's friends diagnozed suizid danger, because he sad:"Poker is only a game..."
Old 12-02-2014

Talvi

Ok, so, while we wait for Charles' to embrace his illegitimate prodigal child .... :D

Quote:
... If you push your SR a little faster, your legs don't have enough time to sink. And accepting a not absolute surface parallel body line, such as Terry while demonstrating the old fish drills, you should get it. (Funny when trying, often the first lap without any kick shows a stroke less than the next three.) ..
this from the man averse to high stroke rate! :D ;) BUT you say your stroke rate for no-kick is slower than for one-kick? What stroke rates are you doing during this drill?

Quote:
... Long time ago I saw a film "MASH", a soldier's friends diagnozed suizid danger, because he sad:"Poker is only a game..."
LoL

~ Aleksandr Popov