Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012

WFEGb
Default How to close the gap... where to focus?

Hallo,

well, I'm a little bit helpless how to interpret and where to focus:

I am able to swim a lap with 31 SPL (30 on good days...) (This only once then I have to take at least half a minute...)

But when I'm going for continues 30-35 minutes I have to push up my SPL up to 43-45. (Breathing each other side per lap.) I don't know how to swim for a fixed SPL and how to vary it with one or two SPL more or less. Too many small things seem to overtake every effect. (Crossing swimmers, faster or slower ones, too crowdy for equal turns, pushoffs not really constant, and then halfstrokes at the end of lap...)

Well, I tried a 200m-pyramid in my possibilities:
TT:1:36 time:4:07 SPL 45
TT:1:34 time:4:05 SPL 45
TT:1:32 time:4:06 SPL 46
TT:1:30 time:4:06 SPL 47
TT:1:32 time:4:03 SPL 47
TT:1:34 time:4:08 SPL 46
TT:1:36 time:4:09 SPL 45

I'm aware for most of you it's ridiculous slow. More: I don't like swimming at my thresholds but in the grey zone with improvements over weeks or months (although they should be visible at least..).

Any hints are wellcome.

Best regards,
Wermer
Old 05-06-2012

westyswoods
Default Slow ???

WFEGb

I have no great words of wisdom for you. I look at what your numbers show and they look pretty darn good to me. Others will be able to shed more light on how you can improve than I.

To your point of thinking it is slow, not at all, looks to be on the normal side to me and a great point for moving forward. I am about the same spot and have been at it for some time.

Keep up the good work.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 05-06-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hallo,

I am able to swim a lap with 31 SPL (30 on good days...) (This only once then I have to take at least half a minute...)

But when I'm going for continues 30-35 minutes I have to push up my SPL up to 43-45. (Breathing each other side per lap.) I don't know how to swim for a fixed SPL and how to vary it with one or two SPL more or less. Too many small things seem to overtake every effect. (Crossing swimmers, faster or slower ones, too crowdy for equal turns, pushoffs not really constant, and then halfstrokes at the end of lap...)

I'm aware for most of you it's ridiculous slow. More: I don't like swimming at my thresholds but in the grey zone with improvements over weeks or months (although they should be visible at least..).

Any hints are wellcome.

Best regards,
Wermer
first, i would not worry about being slow or fast. the best competition is with yourself, meaning you should always try to be better than yesterday. if you're a competitive racer, well, then you can angst about all that time stuff.

next, about your question.

i would try not varying the tempo and just sticking with one tempo. in some workout, pick one and start swimming multiple intervals at that tempo. the challenge is to see if you can maintain the same SPL for each interval at the same tempo.

for you, start out with 1.36s. can you maintain your SPL over multiple intervals of 100 or 200s? reflect on how you felt as you got tired through the intervals. what did you have to change? does it feel different for 100s, than it does for 150s, or 200s? or even longer intervals?

attune your sensitivity to all aspects of your stroke: balance, streamline, propulsion. what breaks down as time/length goes up?

practice this at one tempo and inch your interval length upward until you can do 200s, 300s, or 400s flawlessly over multiple intervals. then increase your tempo by a tiny bit. is it still maintainable? what happened? what do you need to focus on to keep that SPL the same every time?

since you are holding tempo constant, you can think about varying:

1. focus on some element of your swimming

2. rest interval - increase it if you are finding it hard to maintain SPL

3. if, during a workout, you were doing well with SPL on a given set of lengths but you started breaking down after a while, reduce the lengths such that you are maintaining SPL for the rest of the workout. try not to practice when your stroke is breaking down - balance that with challenging your stroke by maintaining more focus on what is breaking down and making sure it does not...

Last edited by CoachDavidShen : 05-06-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hallo,

Any hints are wellcome.

Best regards,
Wermer
hi Werner, some bits that helped me,

I think maintaining balance and thus SPL at SR 1.36 is a more advanced skill than doing it at 1.2

I spent nearly a year stuck in the Stroke rate you mention. Within a couple of sessions of getting used to a faster stroke rate my SPL became much more consistent.

I would even try some 4x25,3x50,2x75,1x100 sets as low as SR 1.0 if you are not already doing it, as this will help your body get used to moving perpetually. I also found that short repeats with a faster SR improved my balance, streamline and catch, as each movement I made had a more obvious effect on my swimming efficiency.

finally, my SPL became more consistent once I stopped windmilling my arms.
Old 05-06-2012

WFEGb

Thank for your thaughts!

Hi Westy,

many thanks for your words. It's fine not to be alone with times over 2min/100m. When reading the threads 1:30min/100m or so seems minimum state of art, and that's lightyears away from my abilities...

Hi CoachDavidShen,

thanks for encouraging. Every day better than yesterday would be fine, but I thinks I need "some" days more for visible improvements...

Well, I think my SL of 44-46 is maintained for 1000-1600m. When getting aware of a break in of more than one stroke, I'm able to "repair" mostly one or more of the following:
- catch/push with a leading ellbow (right site "prefered")
- head not aligning looking forward (breathing right) or backward (breathing left) too much
- lifting head and front body for "easyier" breathing
- throwing recorvering forearm outside than on a straight line
- overrotating on both sides to get some longer breaths (that's not correct, but I do like the feeling very much...)

Such repairs are only possible for TT 1:36. Getting lower I'll get hurried and am not able to focus on one seperate thing. Which leads me to

Hallo Andy,

did I understand your tip right? Should do CoachSuzanne's 4-3-2-1 with a lowered TT down to 1.00? Well, not sure, but I'd become a windmill when TT is below 1.28... And TT 1:00 seems nearly impossible for me for a whole lap... But sounds interesting for a try...

Well guys,
I'll go out swimming some weeks tweek the TT down 0:02 every week as long the SL 45 will hold... And give Andy's tip a try on one day or another...

Anything I missunderstood or contradictions?

Thank you once more. (Nope for you this will not be my last post..)

Regards,
Werner