Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2009

naj
Default The TI non-Believers...They're everwhere!

Hello Everyone.

While I was out doing my usual 6:30am swim in the Bay I decided to circumnavigate the cove that I swim in. Per usual I decided to concentrate on good form not speed - as I have no desire to race anyone. I made the swim in about 42 minutes. I believe it's a little over a mile but I never bothered to ask.

While back at the club a man I normally see about three or so times a week came up to me and said, "Man you need to get your stroke fixed!" I looked up at his beaming face and thought, "Here we go again!"

He repeated his comment, "You need to work on your stroke." And then he told me it looked like I was clawing the water and not extending fully.

I asked if he had ever heard of total immersion swimming and to my shock and horror he said, "No."

I explained that I have a short recovery to get more drive from my core body rotation and then fully extend while my arm is under the water. A buddy of his who also saw me swim interrupted and said, "You need to extend that hand on top of the water get the full reach from your long arms."

Then he made a motion of how my relaxed forearm, fingers slightly apart upon entry and reach just at my elbow on the opposite anchored arm was incorrect and slowing me down, (never mind the fact that I'm one of the only ones that swims into the current on many days and still make better progress than others due to TI but that's not important for now hehe)

When I said that the least resistance to the water was just below the surface he made a face and shook his head, "No its on top!"

Keep in mind these two swim with fins on every morning. It would be fun to see what happened if the fins came off

Rather than prolong the conversation I told the guys thanks for the advice but I was happy with the way things were going with my stroke. True there are things that need improving but extending with a stiff arm and tension all over is not one of them.

At one point another guy chimed in that elite swimmers swim the way his buddy said I should. I never had the heart to tell them that a lot of the elite swimmers use quite a few TI components, but that's another story.

Keep Swimming!
Naji