Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2016

jenson1a
Default Viewing Videos

Lots of swimmers have posted videos of their swimming and I am amazed at what many critics point out at what they are viewing. I just had cataract surgery and I had hoped that my eyesight would gain me more insight on videos, but not so. I use internet explorer to view the videos (most recent version), but fail to see what so many observers point out. I do know that if I open the TI website in Chrome, I have the ability to use slow motion on a video and this does help a lot.

Are there any other ways (better) other than Chrome or internet explorer?

While reading this, it came to mind that it also takes the knowledge of TI to give a good analysis of someone's stroke. But there is more than this--a lot of videos (to me) are too blurry or far away to make any judgments.

Any thoughts on this? I know that Coach Stuart (and many others)give very detailed analysis on the videos posted. Any and all hints would be appreciated.

Sherry
Old 01-11-2016

borate

Downloading a video and loading it into a versatile player may help with analysis.
The free MPC-HC, for one, can step a frame at a time, change speed, etc.
https://mpc-hc.org/
Old 01-12-2016

jenson1a

that sounds great==will download. Glad I didn't switch to Windows 10--my take is that they don't support the media player that I have on Windows 7

Sherry
Old 01-12-2016

borate

What player would that be? Win 10 here supports Windows Media Player and MPC-HC (and no doubt others as well). There have been issues regarding the autoplay feature, but those usually can be resolved.

VLC is another popular media player - free.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Old 01-15-2016

jenson1a

Borate

Thanks for the link. Downloaded it the other day and have been watching some of my prior videos. This is a fantastic viewing tool for me.

As for windows 10, the way I heard was that it carried over all the files from Windows 7, but not the media player. Good to know that there are free substitutes.

Once again tks for the link

Sherry
Old 01-15-2016

borate

Glad you're on the right rail. ^_^
W10 still has its media player, but it won't natively play DVDs. Perhaps that's what you heard. Both MPC-HC and VLC will.
Old 01-17-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Lots of swimmers have posted videos of their swimming and I am amazed at what many critics point out at what they are viewing. I just had cataract surgery and I had hoped that my eyesight would gain me more insight on videos, but not so. I use internet explorer to view the videos (most recent version), but fail to see what so many observers point out. I do know that if I open the TI website in Chrome, I have the ability to use slow motion on a video and this does help a lot.

Are there any other ways (better) other than Chrome or internet explorer?

While reading this, it came to mind that it also takes the knowledge of TI to give a good analysis of someone's stroke. But there is more than this--a lot of videos (to me) are too blurry or far away to make any judgments.

Any thoughts on this? I know that Coach Stuart (and many others)give very detailed analysis on the videos posted. Any and all hints would be appreciated.

Sherry
Sherry: I think I know what you mean. But I think the critical difference is not our tired old eyes. Slow-motion capability may not give us the edge that we hope we might need. It's the experienced coach's prior knowledge and insight from years with prior proteges that leads them into picking up changes in overall momentum and body angulation and alignment that are too subtle for us to see yet. This insight gets them zooming in on areas that they get to know from prior experience -- for instance symptom X is caused by faults P, Q, R or S -- any one, or more in combination, so by process of elimination they get a diagnosis far faster than we would. The interesting thing is how they are able to explain the diagnostic and elimination process to us, and if they are patient enough to step it through, and if we are patient and persistent enough to follow through step by step (and sometimes it can get very complicated, in an areas where we have no previous practical experience) we just might learn something. Or not LOL.
Old 01-17-2016

jenson1a

sclim

But it is not just experienced coaches that give detailed analyses, there are several posters who give very concrete explanations of what might be wrong. (Won't embarrass anyone by naming the ones that I think do a good job). But you are right--there is nothing better than good old experience.

In another thread, a swimmer asked viewers to critique his video. Coach Stuart asked viewers what we thought about the video and what would cause the problems This type of analysis (I thought) was not only good for the swimmer, but also for us reading that forum.

Sherry
Old 01-17-2016

Danny

Hi Sherry,

I'll just throw something out here which may or may not help. We just got a smart TV, 50 '' on the diagonal, and you won't find any PC monitor that is that big. Smart TVs can access internet and YouTube. I have played around with this and found it interesting. In the end, the limiting factor becomes the resolution of the video, not the resolution of the screen you are viewing it on, but a smart TV might help.
Old 01-18-2016

jenson1a

Thanks Danny for the tip. It's almost a timely one. Our 8 year old 55 inch Tobisha is showing signs of decay. Am reluctant to replace it since there is not a lot of good TV these days. But I have heard a lot of good about the smart TV. (Too bad there aren't more "smart" programs!)

Appreciate your post

Sherry