Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2015

jenson1a
Default Over Rotation

How do you know if you are over rotating? I know and have seen videos of some swimmers whose recovering arm's elbow is behind their back. But how do you spot over rotation that is more subtle?

The reason I ask is it seems that when I try to do hip drive, my hip that is closer to the pool bottom, seems to take forever to make its journey up. My thought is that it could be that I just have a weak core?

Would appreciate any comments or videos on what over rotation looks like (other than the obvious with the elbow behind the back)

I'm counting on ZT to find something!

Sherry
Old 09-15-2015

bx

Sherry, I've been using a pull buoy recently - between thighs, then knees, then ankles - to tune-up my core engagement. But a nice side effect is that it highlighted a bit of overrotation to one side, and it turned out I wasn't swinging my left elbow out as nice and wide as my right elbow.

Worth a shot?

Last edited by bx : 09-15-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2015

Zenturtle

no problem Sherry ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_TJ2YSa-js

Watch out to not only rotate the hips without connection with the upperbody. This is of no use. The shoulders have to move with the hips.
Watch the dont halfway the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-TygMAyvtg

If you feel unstable at the end of rotation, you are probably overrotating.
You can also check (watch) what your arms and hands are doing. They should never cross the midline.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 09-15-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2015

truwani

One advice:get rid of the pullbuoy!

I had some problems with muscles in my legs and decided to use a pullbuoy to give my leggs rest. But it is much better then to just let your leggs float:otherwise you loose the focusof streamlining and putting your weight forward in order to keep your balance

My pullbuoy went into the garbage bin :-)
Old 09-15-2015

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwani View Post
One advice:get rid of the pullbuoy!
Please re-read my post.
Old 09-15-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Using the pool toys is just fine when discovering right/wrong positions - not creating a crutch that mask issues that need to be addressed. I often have swimmers use the Finis Tech-Toc. It tecs and tocs when max rotation has been reached. In addition to max rotation, you discover where other parts of your body are in relation to max rotation when you feel and hear the tec-toc.

Finis Tech-Toc: http://www.finisinc.com/Tech-Toc

Use discount code: "mindbodyswim" for 15% off :-)

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 09-15-2015

truwani

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Please re-read my post.
Hi bx

If you keep it to tuning up that's fine by me!!

Just want to avoid that less experienced swimmers use it between the leggs, nothing more :-)
Old 09-15-2015

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwani View Post
Hi bx

If you keep it to tuning up that's fine by me!!

Just want to avoid that less experienced swimmers use it between the leggs, nothing more :-)
I did a reply but then the website crashed...

Yep no worries, I was a bit terse.

I'm happy to use any tool to highlight errors. Some people may criticize my use of armbands too, but they're great for helping raise the elbow for high elbow catch.
;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armbands.jpg (16.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-16-2015

jenson1a

ZT

Tks for the video links. I have seen the Coco Lipinski video and that is a good one. Had forgotten about the telltale hands crossing the midline. Sometimes have a tendency to do that. After I made this posting, I did go to you tube and found a lot of videos about over rotating with same messages.

BX

Hate to invest money in another pool toy but wouldn't a ball or some type of floatee do the same trick? Will try and let you know. Not sure how this engages core, but like I said, I will try it.

Coach Stuart I have seen that on Finis (Tech Toc) but what turned me off was that it was audio and my hearing is not what it use to be. My TT consists of a file that Werner developed which enabled me to control the volume. Have to put the volume up pretty high in order to hear the bong. That was why I was leery of the Tech Toc but tks for the suggestion

sherry
Old 09-16-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
ZT
Coach Stuart I have seen that on Finis (Tech Toc) but what turned me off was that it was audio and my hearing is not what it use to be. My TT consists of a file that Werner developed which enabled me to control the volume. Have to put the volume up pretty high in order to hear the bong. That was why I was leery of the Tech Toc but tks for the suggestion

sherry
You can feel the tec-toc on the hips as well. It may even be an advantage with hearing loss, since if you get three or more in a lane wearing tech-tocs, it's hard for swimmers to tell who's tec'ng and toc'ng, sharp "clack" sound resonates through the water.

Stuart