Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2015

WFEGb

Hello Stuart,

are there any tiny or micro skills to find the feeling for the right timing of the kick?

For now I'm anywhere in nowhere. Found my stroke had to force rotation a little when swimming with faster SRs (which start for me around 1.3s+-). When trying to assign rotation to kick (kicking a little earlier) it sometimes results in a feeling as kicking in air than in water, sometimes my old bike-kick is back and sometimes there's a fluent feeling the leg down. Last is prefered, but I'm not aware of it's more a fluke, or how to avoid the first two. And still not sure if not creating additional unwanted drag with the well felt last...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-02-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Werner! Hey long time no chat, good to hear from your and see you on the forum.

Also, you pose a very good question and glad you asked.

The best mini skill to get the kick timing (other than what a laid our previously, superman hip rock and roll into whole stroke) is drill(s) moving from superman into skate. In superman, a gentle flutter timed with rocking hips, high hip drives down following by opposite leg kicking down to rotate you onto your skating edge. I.e. in superman, drive left hip down and right leg down (pivoting hips about spine) to rotate you onto your left side edge. When you are on your skating edge, return to a gently but quick flutter kick to hold skating edge for 5-10 secs. Repeat. Any time moving from superman to skate or swing switch, start using the high hip driving down and opposite leg 'toe flick' snap to rotate, connecting whole body movement in drills as well.

Here's a video, "Skate to Catch". Notice swimmer moving from superman to skate, high hip and opposite leg rotate the body.

Stuart
Old 06-02-2015

WFEGb

Hello Stuart,

thank you very much for the video. Have to give it some tries. Three additional questions:

- Is it slow motion?
- Is bending of lead arm part of the drill?
- Zero arm force for rotation or initiating it, right?

Best regards,
Werner

PS:
Quote:
Hi Werner! Hey long time no chat, good to hear from your and see you on the forum.
Thanks for your warm words. Tried to revive my old thread "Fixing the grip", because that's where I work in last weeks... didn't work. So Sherry may forgive me for jumping in here...
Old 06-02-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

You're welcome! It could be called "kick to skate" too, kick timing should be done (attempted) with each drill that includes rotation or a switch.

Yes, bending of the arm at elbow, gravity takes forearm, or "rag doll" arm. It's a version of swing-switch, forward positions are the same, but using in context of high elbow, early vertical forearm catch - or "skate to catch"

Yup, zero force or no pull. "Catch happens" as a consequence of hip rotation and body position.

You're not hijacking thread, it's all about getting the hips and whole body involved, both drill and whole stroke, which create a solid platform to help find that elusive "easy breath".

Stuart
Old 06-03-2015

WFEGb

Hello Stuart,

Quote:
...Here's a video, "Skate to Catch". Notice swimmer moving from superman to skate, high hip and opposite leg rotate the body. ...
WOW, that's a funny thing! Seems to be exactly the right drill for me. When had a look in the video never ever thought that this is for me the most difficlut drill since breathing in torpedo style with aligned head-spine...

When trying it all, in fact all became wrong: Lead hand/arm is wobbling around anywhere, neck became tensed at once, spine-leg alingment fall appart, compound kick didn't result into any movement forward, the initiation kick for hip up went empty, left-right-hip-rhythm became more a chaotic random movement and and....

Had to go into the small shallow pool and it took me nearly half an hour to find a tiny premonition only on one side, how that drill should feel. Highest odd, I was sure before trying, this drill could not cause a problem. Much unexpected work to do... That's one of these things which makes TI-FS so interesting...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 06-04-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Werner,

It's an advanced drill and creates a whole new awareness of kick timed with the hip rotation. You can take the skate arm out as well, i.e. torpedo. Rotate from left to right edge and right to left edge connecting kick with hip rotation. Keep head still (goggles down), aligned with spine, as you rotate from one edge to the other - no whipping head left and right, no lateral spine twisting as you rotate to left and right edges.

Have fun with it!

Stuart
Old 06-04-2015

jenson1a

Coach Sturart

Tried this yesterday and it isn't as easy as it looks. Tried it also with underwater spear switch.

Question about rocking the hips. Is this a slight movement or a little bit more forceful? Does the kick move the hips or does it work the other way around? Or is it a simultaneous movement?

Sherry
Old 06-04-2015

jenson1a

Coach Stuart

Regarding your edit: Added: Uploaded a coach demo, swimming with the hips and easily getting air: https://youtu.be/aGBjj4iTr-Y

Found this a little hard to see with the smaller screen.

By the way, I found that if I opened Chrome instead of Internet Explorer, that a video can be watched in slow motion just by accessing the settings in the lower part of screen. I am amazed at how much others can pick up in a video that often goes unnoticed by me. I know you have been a coach for some time, but aside from playing a video in slow motion, are there any other tricks that might help me when reviewing a video?

Sherry
Old 06-04-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry,

The rock of hips in superman is subtle and gentle, nothing forceful. The hip rock is only in superman; after rotating to skate, hips and torso remain still with a gentle flutter.

In drill, you connect the hip rotation with kick (simultaneously), but kick initiates rotation. Notice as right leg kicks down, right hip pivots up and left hip down. This is Newton's third law of motion in action - the downward kicking leg raises the same side hip.

The first half of video is normal speed, second half of video is slo-mo or half speed. No need to slow down or slo-mo in viewer. I have Mac and video renders well in both Safari and Firefox.

Spear-Switch drill is a perfect opportunity to introduce kick timing too. When you bring your spearing arm forward, hand pauses in front of goggle line, kick down with opposite leg down as you spear (switch) forward to opposite edge, i.e. right arm spears forward, left leg kicks down rotating you on to right skating edge. Hope that makes sense, tough to describe without video or picture, but I assume you know the spear-switch drill and have the 10 lesson DVD.

Getting the kick timing, connecting whole body is a priority for you - and when this starts to happen, you will find air much more easily.

Stuart
Old 06-04-2015

jenson1a

Coach Stuart

Thanks so much for direction. I have been putting off the 2 bk for a long time, but don't know why I have. Hopefully it won't take forever to ingrain. Will dedicate as long as it takes to get this down.

tks again

Sherry