Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015

jenson1a
Default How Am I Doing?

Finally got a video of myself. Was hoping to see if I was exhaling consistently. Well either I am not or the camera was too far away.

Was breathing on my left side (not my good side) and U can see that I need a lot of work on keeping 1 goggle in the water.

You Tube has changed the way you post since the last time I posted a video, so I hope this comes through.

https://youtu.be/TlR3nJnM2HE

Appreciate any comments

Sherry
Old 05-31-2015

Richardsk

Lots of good things there. Very clean and splashless and nice rhythm. Left-side breathing looks quite good to me.

I'll leave the finer points to the experts.

I don't think underwater breathing bubbles would show up at that distance from the camera. Maybe with an underwater camera
Old 05-31-2015

Zenturtle

I would first fix that kick.
You are doing most of your kicking with the right leg. It also kicks down When you spear with the right arm. The left leg is hardly driving anything, but going along for the ride.
I believe this is an old topic. More legs-coreconnection would be nice.
Snorkel on and trying to rotate from left to right from the legcorehipaction while you lay in superman float?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMYGAgppRo. And not too much from the knee offcourse.
Next to that, swimming posture can be better.You are not 18 anymore, so I dont know what is possible, but working on it is always a good idea.
And the breathing.
At least you can change the timing.
Now you rotate to breathe late relative to your body rotation.
The shoulder is already gone and then you suddenly remember, Hey lets roatte the head also.
Your head rotation should stick right to the shoulder motion and ideally disconnect halfway recovery to turn the face in the water before the recovering arm enters.
Now the whole breathing action is delayed relative to the bodyrotaion and you have less time left to breathe.
Making the mouth the highest part when you rurn the head could be a focal point.
Your neck seems a bit tight and bended. like looking up in breaststroke.
I dont see any bubbles. Looks like you are exhaling right before you inhale.
Wish I had such a nice quiet pool.
Try to be as relaxed as possible, but hold a straight body at the same time.
Try to drive rotation from the legs through that body and dont rush that pull, but match its speed with that of the bodyroll.
You are blessed with good natural balance and buoyancy.
Your stroke is looking ok ish right now but too tensed. It coulld become real smooth with some fixes.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 05-31-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry,

You are looking much smoother than you were a few months ago from the last video I saw. Your head position is actually quite good, tracks look very good, body is quite stable - and you're getting your breath early off of your left shoulder. Nice!

The recovery arm has some interruption at both hip and at entry, not as fluid as it should be. The hips and legs look low and I believe this is the source of your breathing problem and hitching recovery arm.

Look closely at the timing of arms and legs through core - you are kicking (down) on the wrong leg on every stroke (i.e. right spearing arm with right kick down) which causes the hitch in recovery, inhibits rotation, legs drop. I characterize this as "zombie swimming" or "swim zombie" - which is a very common problem. There is no core connection legs to arms - and you're really arms only.

To get the legs synced correctly with the arms, start to focus on the hips:

1. In Superman drill with easy slow flutter kick, rock (pivot) hips about the spine, as left hip rocks down, the right leg should fall or kicks down. And likewise, right hip down, left leg falls or kicks down. This is a natural movement we have when upright on terra firma (left leg swings forward, right hip, shoulder and arm pivot forward as counterbalance). When rocking hips, there is *no* lateral twisting of spine or "hula hips", hips pivot about the spine.

2. To integrate hip rock into whole stroke, start out with the rocking hips then roll into whole stroke thinking you are swimming with the hips. Think rock four, swim four (strokes) no breathing (stand up and repeat 4r-4s or use snorkel). Don't try to control the timing of spearing arm and kicking leg since that often triggers the brain to kicking on the wrong leg and going "swim zombie".

Get the hips legs and arms tied together through core and suddenly you will find air much more easily with whole body movements.

Good luck!

Stuart

Added: Uploaded a coach demo, swimming with the hips and easily getting air: https://youtu.be/aGBjj4iTr-Y

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 05-31-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 06-01-2015

jenson1a

Coach Stuart

thanks for your comments. Have to admit that I have been ignoring the 2bk. I have been spending all of my pool time working on the breathing-left side, right side, and also breathing patterns. Will spend some time each session drilling on this 2bk skill.

Regarding your comment: The recovery arm has some interruption at both hip and at entry, not as fluid as it should be. The hips and legs look low and I believe this is the source of your breathing problem and hitching recovery arm.

I do see the interruption at hand entry, but not the hip. Not saying it isn't there, but could you point out a specific frame for me? You also state that the hips and legs look low. When reviewing my video, it looked as if the hips were as high as my torso, but legs were a little lower. I probably am not seeing what you are referring to.

It was interesting to note that Zenturtle said I was breathing late and you commented just the opposite. Looks as if you both agree on the hips legs and arms tied together through core need work on.

Thanks for the drill suggestion for 2bk--both yours and ZT's

Sherry
Old 06-01-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry,

Re recovery arm: The slight hesitation and slowing just after recovery arm exit at hip, palm faces hip and drifts over hip just a bit. "Palm up - release" focus will help with that.

Re breath: Your chin is following shoulder to air (getting it early), but it is too long of a breath due to legs keep dropping from kicking on wrong leg each stroke.

Re legs/hips: You start out with high legs and hips in the first 3-4 strokes, but with the kick timing off, they fall more and more each stroke. Legs fall, chin falls, drag profile increases - breathing issues snowball.

It's ok to use a gentle flutter to help stop kicking on wrong leg. Most important is to have one kick tied with rotation (aiding rotation, not preventing it) connecting whole body through core even if there are extra stabilizing kicks between rotational kick.

Stuart
Old 06-01-2015

Zenturtle

As far as I can see are you rotating the head earlier on the first strokes and late on at least the last 3 strokes.(first bodyrotation, a fraction later head rotation)
Curious about the rotating range of motion of your head.
If you rotate the head to the left or the right, how much can you rotate before you strart to feel some resistance? (not forcing, just until the very first resistance is felt)
Personally I dont like to rotate the head more than 45 degrees, what brings the total to 90 degrees with a bodyrotation of 45 degress, looking toward the side of the pool while breathing.
At low pace I have to rotate more or turn the head more, which creates some extra instability or some loss of awareness.
At least we both agree on the kick and core connection issue.

Here an example of Stuarts 6BK with 2 main rotational kicks from the 2BK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE3f...TAxoZm41y1GIen
If you are not a kicker, this is all quite high energy stuff. You could try a gentle version.
Main thing is to focus on your legs and how they connect with the trunk and forget the arm traction a bit.
Let the arms idle mostly instead of the legs.

Difficult, if you are arm orientated.I know the problem.

Doing your last stroke I see you are blowing quite some bubbles right at the moment when you are returning the face in the water. Is it possible that you breath out too early and too forcefully in other strokes too?
I think you dont exchange much air and if you blow this small volume all out right when you turn your face in the water, you are only left with old air in the lungs for the next stroke.(except for some miximg during in in/out proces).

Last edited by Zenturtle : 06-01-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2015

jenson1a

Coach Stuart

Thanks for clarifying:Re recovery arm: The slight hesitation and slowing just after recovery arm exit at hip, palm faces hip and drifts over hip just a bit. "Palm up - release" focus will help with that.

Never noticed that, so thanks for pointing it out. Will use the palm up release as a focal point during next swim.

I did do some work this a.m. on the 2bk. Used your directions as well as ZT's video example. What I found as easier is just to focus on the kick while swimming. As left arm starts to enter water, that is when I kicked downwards with right leg. That moved the left hip down. Oops1 I just read your point #2 which is:
Don't try to control the timing of spearing arm and kicking leg since that often triggers the brain to kicking on the wrong leg and going "swim zombie".
Screwed up again. Will print out your post and take it to the pool with me. so sorry for not following directions.

Zenturtle You asked about my range of motion of head. Asked my husband what he thought and he gave me the same answer that I thought. Either way, I can comfortably turn my head about 45 degrees. Anything further than that, meets with resistance.

Sherry
Old 06-02-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Ok Sherry, that's a good plan. When learning kick timing, best to concentrate on pivoting the hips - and the kick will naturally begin to happen, "inside-out" thinking. Again, while learning kick timing, don't be too worried about extra stabilizing kicks between rotational kicks; coaches often call the in between stabilizing kicks "training wheels". As balance and whole body timing improve, you will start to shed those "training wheels" :-)

Here's a piece on kick timing that may now make a bit more sense: Kick Timing 101

Cheers,

Stuart
Old 06-02-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Junkman,

Good questions. There is more of a hand lead recovery largely due to reaching for stability from the kick timing throwing Sherry off balance. Lead elbow recovery will help stabilize, but not with disconnected hips.

The "palm up, release" at recovery is just palm facing up at recovery exit which allows recovery arm direct path forward and wide. When palm faces hip, hand and elbow tend to creep over the hip triggering a pause (at hip), as well as over-rotation.

The energy and momentum of recovery arm spearing forward directs energy forward, not downward. In this case, not much energy is directed forward due to kicking (downward) on wrong leg inhibiting rotation and forward momentum - legs drop as a consequence.

Hope that helps

Stuart