Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2016

jenson1a
Default Tempo Trainer Finding Ideal Range

In the forum Favorite Practices and Sets, Richardsk commented this:

Richardsk is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy

The problem with my Tempo Trainer was just that I hadn't realised there was a protective film over the display. It's now working OK and I'm finding it interesting. I've downloaded Terry's helpful hints but basically still groping for a suitable starting range of tempos.

It seems that finding an ideal range of tempos is very time consuming, and also changes from day to day. I share Richard's concern on how to find a suitable range of tempos. Should one just try a certain range (say for a week) and if it doesn't feel right, go to either a slower or faster range? Or should one just stick with one tempo to see if they can swim at that tempo for multiple lengths?

Can any of you experienced TT users shed some light on this?

Sherry

p. s. I hesitated posting this, but since Richard had the same concerns, I thought if there are 2 of us out there, there are probably more.
Old 02-25-2016

WFEGb

Hello Sherry,

think this is exactly what Terry wished with his thread

"Using Tempo to Achieve a more precise Green Zone"

in Favorite Practices. So please offer one or two sessions and put your data into the thread. Terry didn't evaluate. Maybe not enough different feedback-datas...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 02-25-2016

Zenturtle

off topic, but came across this
maybe interesting for 2BK learning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3co...3FBwm82i6pru6Q
Old 02-26-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Hi Andy

The problem with my Tempo Trainer was just that I hadn't realised there was a protective film over the display. It's now working OK and I'm finding it interesting. I've downloaded Terry's helpful hints but basically still groping for a suitable starting range of tempos.

It seems that finding an ideal range of tempos is very time consuming, and also changes from day to day. I share Richard's concern on how to find a suitable range of tempos. Should one just try a certain range (say for a week) and if it doesn't feel right, go to either a slower or faster range? Or should one just stick with one tempo to see if they can swim at that tempo for multiple lengths?

Can any of you experienced TT users shed some light on this?

Sherry

p. s. I hesitated posting this, but since Richard had the same concerns, I thought if there are 2 of us out there, there are probably more.
This blog post might help, on setting up a Tempo SPL Matrix:

http://www.dshen.com/blogs/training/...l_setting.html
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/
Old 02-27-2016

jenson1a

Coach Dave

Read your blog post and wow--2.6 @ spl is 9!! You must have awesome balance.

I have recorded tempos @ 1.5 and 1.55. Interesting enough, @ 1:55 my spl increases from 17 to 18. Would this indicate that I should practice in this range to find balance issues?

My TT is an I Pod shuffle. Werner was good enough to send me a file of bongs @ tempos from .8 to 1.7 Due to bad hearing, the normal TT was useless for me despite all the other goodies it has to offer.

Will spend some time to incorporate your suggestions into my practice session

Once again tks for all your valuable tips.

Sherry

p.s. am doing your d-breathing exercises and also your dead bug exercise. When my husband saw me doing this, he thought I had lost it. Funny thing is that I can do the right leg left arm, but have trouble doing the right arm and left leg

Tks also for all the tips that you gave to some of my posts and Danny's also
Old 02-27-2016

jenson1a
Default Another TT Question

When using a TT and approaching a turn, how do you sync with the beep? For instance, sometimes when I approach the wall, I only have a half or less stroke to touch wall and then push off. If I glide that small distance and sync the touch to the beep, that in essence is another stroke. Or do you hurry the whole turn process and not sync to that beep and just push off as quickly as possible? I am terribly inefficient on turns and probably should spend a short time each session on the open turn. Once I touch the wall, it takes a long time to get my legs around to touch wall and push off.

I do have Terry's dvd on Easy Freestyle and I guess it is near the end that he demonstrates this.

Sherry
Old 02-27-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
When using a TT and approaching a turn, how do you sync with the beep? For instance, sometimes when I approach the wall, I only have a half or less stroke to touch wall and then push off. If I glide that small distance and sync the touch to the beep, that in essence is another stroke. Or do you hurry the whole turn process and not sync to that beep and just push off as quickly as possible? I am terribly inefficient on turns and probably should spend a short time each session on the open turn. Once I touch the wall, it takes a long time to get my legs around to touch wall and push off.

I do have Terry's dvd on Easy Freestyle and I guess it is near the end that he demonstrates this.

Sherry
I wouldn't obsess over the loss of a beep at the turn. Don't break rhythm in your stroke as you approach the wall. When you hit it, don't worry about whether there is a beep or not; just turn, then push off and just count beeps whenever they appear. usually we like to say 3 beeps off the wall before stroking, but at higher tempos you may need to count 4 or else you may not hit the flags before you start stroking.

Over time, and depending on the tempo, you may find that you can sync your touch on the wall, and turn/push off to beeps which may make things a bit more consistent with the TT's beeping in your ear. But slower tempos make this difficult as you may find that you are waiting a bit too long at a certain position on the wall for the beep to come to push off.
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
Old 02-27-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
This blog post might help, on setting up a Tempo SPL Matrix:

http://www.dshen.com/blogs/training/...l_setting.html
Took your advice about recording Tempo/SPL for Goal Setting. Here were the results

Tempo Rate SPL
1:70 17
1:60 17
1:50 17.5
1:40 18
1:30 20
1:20 20
1:10 23
1:00 23

Based on this it looks as if I should work around in the 1:30 to 1:40 setting. However, maybe since this was the first time, I should do maybe a few more tests in a couple of days? Conditions on this day--air temp was 49 degrees and water felt a little cold. No steam rising from the water. Time done was 6:50 a.m. on Saturday Feb 27th. I felt pretty good (mentally and physically) as I didn't do a swim practice on the previous day.

The pool I swim in is 70 feet long (23 and 1/3 yds) Mat Hudson recalculated the 25 yd green zone for me. The recalculation also considered my age (72), height 5'3", female, skinny (or short arms). to arrive at a range of 15.5 spl to 19.5 spl. Also suggested practicing in the 17 to 19.5 range.

Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated. Tks

Sherry
Old 02-27-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Coach Dave

Read your blog post and wow--2.6 @ spl is 9!! You must have awesome balance.
HA! no i definitely don't at 2.6s! any tempos above 1.6s are challenging enough and probably the limit is 2.0s. otherwise, the loss of speed really affects your balance to the point of becoming unproductive. but of course the challenge of maintaining balance, and thus being really drag minimal, and maintaining some velocity even at super slow tempos, is something you might have fun with. it's a good break from swimming at high efforts all the time.

Quote:
I have recorded tempos @ 1.5 and 1.55. Interesting enough, @ 1:55 my spl increases from 17 to 18. Would this indicate that I should practice in this range to find balance issues?
SPL should increase as tempo increases. It could be a balance issue as most issues stem from balance issues, it could be that you are slowing down too much and thus finding it hard to get moving again if you are super slow or nearly stopped because you can't stroke/rotate properly.

1.5s is already pretty slow. we usually like to say 1.2s is just cruising but we should temper that statement with those who are swimming with some skill already. you may find that you are better if you increase your tempo, although yes your effort may increase overall as well and depending on your fitness and control of technique this may not be good.

Quote:
p.s. am doing your d-breathing exercises and also your dead bug exercise. When my husband saw me doing this, he thought I had lost it. Funny thing is that I can do the right leg left arm, but have trouble doing the right arm and left leg
you are noting holes in your nervous system. the opposite arm/leg pattern is something we learn as babies in order to move around - walking uses opposite arm/leg during movement. but our 21st century lives can mess with that. we find that many adults now have a hard time with cross body movement patterns.

try some cross crawling. it involves crossing the midline with your limbs and touching them. the most basic move is to stand, and then touch your left hand to your right thigh, as you lift up your right leg. then touch your right hand to left thigh, in a light marching move. do it whenever you can. there is a lying variant in this video in the beginning:

https://youtu.be/Vjk3wilkX9I

see if it improves your dead bug.
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA