Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2016

jenson1a

Werner

You said:

PS: A "real" problem for me when in a course is reading the forum, because I find so many extremely interesting things to try out, that this can conflict the program. Will try to find a fourth pooltime just to Play with all that....

I will add an amen to that. My problem also

tks for your suggestions

Sherry
Old 02-18-2016

jenson1a
Default Wednesday's Practice Session

Before going to the pool, I read both Coach Suzannes and Coach Mats suggestions (as much as I remembered) and wrote them down as I swam.

My tune up took about 9 minutes, consisted of some skate, stroke, stroke stroke, skate drill, SG to instill weightless head, and some lazy lengths of free style

Main

I then swam 10 single lengths of FS. FP early breathing, and breathing every other stroke.
L1-L8 spl was 16.5, then L9 and 10 spl increased to 17.5
After each length I took 8 nasal breaths rest

Second part was to explore the TT range
TT spl----------------> L1- L4
1:35 18.5 19 18 19
1:32 18 19 18 19
1:30 18 19.5 19 19.5

After each tempo change, it took almost 20 nasal breaths of rest

After this I tried to get back to the feel I had in the tune up and set the TT to 1:55--spl went down to 17.5 I then tried TT@ 1:50 and spl returned to 17

Nest I put fins on and did 2 lengths of 1 arm swim for rotation and balance
This was followed by 4 lengths of LLR Focal point was to keep head still

Finished up with more skate stroke (3), skate, SG with emphasis on Coach Dave's iap drills. took a breath feeling the diagraphm push down and launch into sg. did 5 or six of those trying to hold the iap

Very rough plan, and I felt that I need to do more with tt even tho it could create more tension. I need to learn how to deal with that tension or I will never be able to use the TT at all

Total time for all of this was 1 hour. Did more resting than swimming tho!

Sherry
Old 02-20-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

This is excellent Sherry, nice detail. I'd be curious to hear your take on the changes in SPL with various tempo & FP changes, especially breathing and core rotation focuses.

I think your variety here is good. I would endorse that you don't need to to FP swimming AND tempo trainer swimming in every set, but if it doesn't seem like too many different things to focus on then keep it up.

I will continue to follow.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-21-2016

jenson1a

The practice plan that I had planned for Saturday was a complete failure. It was WAY too much for my level of swimming. The good part was that I realized it was a failure and so I did learn something from it (altho I sure wasted a lot of time trying to do it).

My goals as stated before, were to be able to swim 4 lengths in less than 2 minutes and also to increase my distance. It was assumed that I also needed to be able to use the TT in some of these swims. In the past, the TT sort of froze me and created tension, bit I realized that I needed to learn how to control that tension. So another hidden goal.

At this point, I think that Coach Suzanne's plan to just concentrate on a few things, like 2bk and/or TT, or the need to swim several single lengths with consistent spl and eventually shorten the rest intervals. I feel that certain drills need to be incorporated into my sessions--I have been doing fist drills (started when I aborted my planned session), 1 arm drills with fins, and foremost, SG, SG LLR, SG to skate.

So my next practice plan will be much more basic, realistic, and more to my level of swimming.

p.s. These were Coach Suzanne's suggestions: With your description of how challenging swimming 100yd/m feels, I think your practices should focus around skills & integration, and not worry too much about HR, pace, warmup, main set, cooldown, etc. Spend 5-15 minutes on 3 different focuses during a swim. First focus might be easy relaxed head position...do SG, do some skate or sweet spot, do some swimming. THen a 2nd 15 minute sectoin focusing on 2BK. Start in Superman, do SG to Skate, Do 3 strokes, swim a little. Then choose a 3rd focus...maybe use the tmepo trainer and swim 10 x 25 at a range of tempos and see what feels good.

will be forming my plan around these ideas

Sherry

Last edited by jenson1a : 02-21-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Need to add a comment
Old 02-22-2016

jenson1a
Default Revised Swim Plan

After Saturday's failure in being able to execute my swim plan, I spent a long time on Sunday trying to get some sort of a plan on paper. I did this on Monday morning and think I am able to work with this.

My goals were to explore the TT basics. I took these ideas from Terry's free stuff in the TI store--Tempo Trainer Basics: Ten Tempo Tasks for Fun and Improvement.

The other goal is to be able to swim the second length as well as I do the first. Hopefullly this will help me to swim longer distances with lower RPE.

Tune Up:

Four lengths of skate, stroke stroke stroke, skate
Six lengths of fist drill. First, third and fifth length were closed fist, one finger, and then the pointer and little finger. Second, fourth, and sixth lengths were freestyle.
I then repeated another four lengths of freestyle and started feeling fairly good.

Main SetS

Swim 4 lengths with spl 18 or 19

Set TT @ 1:35 for four lengths (single) to keep spl at 18-19

I then tried two lengths at same tempo and was able to hold spl and tempo

The second part was to do 3 rounds of (2 x 25)
Round 1 sync bong with hand
Round 2 sync bong with hip
Round 3 sync bong with foot

Spl for all three rounds were between 17 and 19

Cool Down

Swam four single lengths with 4 nasal breaths in between.

Then tried some of Coach Dave Shen's IAP exercises with d-breathing and IAP Was able to do iap in water, squat down as directed to see if I could hold the iap. Did this three times and was able to hold. Then went from iap to sg--also worked. nice way to fool around in the water.

This may seem pretty simple to most of the posters on this forum, but I feel that this is a fairly good starting point for me. Weill try this for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Sherry
Old 02-23-2016

jenson1a

Somehow the above post did not get reflected on the new posts on front page. Was hoping for some comments or suggestioms

Sherry
Old 02-23-2016

WFEGb

Hello Sherry,

you wished some remarks... although think, I'm not the right one. Admiring you for puzzling your own individual plan. For myself I do like plans from others to follow, because otherwise it's harder (for me) to resist temptation of simplification, adaptation of convenience or curiosity...

So FWIW as ever:
- First thought was, if you're able to sync your strokes with TT at 1.35s in different stroke parts, you should still have the foundation for working with TT.
- If you'll run through your plan for some weeks, how about to integrate a test every three or four weeks? For example: Swimming three laps without rest and TT set to a felt comfortable rate, which you'll hold constant over all your weeks. (How does every lap feel?)
- How about synchronizing the TT's bongs in your main set for one pooltime with one chosen point and variation of TT's set like first 1.36s, second 1.35s and 1.34s or to feel more of the difference 1.35s-1.38s-1.32s. Or tweak the TT down for every week. Or tweak it down if you accessed your planned SPL tow times in a row. (But hold it fixed for your test swim...)
- Maybe it's so of course that you didn't mention, but what FPs will you take with into every pooltime?

Sure you'll get some better design hints, these are a start.

Wish much success and enjoyment for your planned work and keep us informed.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 02-23-2016

jenson1a

Hi Werner

Thanks for your tips. Yes I did forget to mention FP. I have a tendency to not keep my head still--no laser beam, so I am constantly trying to do that. Other FPs are early breathing, 2BK, and trying to rotate as a unit in stead of torso and lower body. I especially like the TT drills that focus on the hip nudge with every beep. This is also good for my focus on the 2BK.

You are right about trying different tempos. Altho it only has been a few days doing these, the spl seems pretty consistent. I am also planning to do longer rounds. The TT basic that Terry mapped out were longer than what I have been doing--need to improve on that.

This is sort of like the chicken and the egg--which came first. Do you try for more distance before increasing stroke rate, or do you increase stroke rate and then go for the distance? To me it seems like the former is more logical, but slower way to go.

Tks for commenting and will incorporate some changes That you suggested--gives a lot more variety.

Sherry