Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015

jenson1a
Default Snorkel-Size?

Have been working with a regular snorkel and decided to part with a few dollars and get the swimmers snorkel (center mount). Got tired of the drag created on regular snorkel. Went to finis site and while placing the order, a drop down window asked for size--jr, sr, or youth. Couldn't find a phone number or contact to ask about this. obviously I wouldn't order a youth size, but am wondering about the difference in the jr or sr.

Funny thing is that if I order on Amazon, they don't ask for size, but price is more

Any ideas?

Sherry
Old 06-26-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation

I didn't know there was a difference, but I found this explanation:

Quote:
Is the Swimmer's Snorkel suitable for children/young teens?

We do not recommend using the normal Swimmer's Snorkels for children. We have a Youth Swimmer's Snorkel and a Swimmer's Snorkel Junior that are more suitable for them.

What age is the Youth Swimmer's Snorkel meant for? What age is the Swimmer's Snorkel Junior meant for?

Youth: 4-9 years, Junior: 8-12 years
The Youth Swimmer's Snorkel has a smaller mouthpiece and shorter tube. The Swimmer's Snorkel Junior has a shorter tube.
Old 06-26-2015

jenson1a

need to add thisSorry

Found an email address for Finis and just received this reply.

Victoria Smithson

Today at 11:16 AM

ToSherry Jenson

sojomojo Your explanation was a lot better than the one I got! Thank you

Good morning
The only difference between the Jr and Sr snorkels is the length of the tube. The jr is shorter by about 2 inches to make it easier top draw a breathe for smaller framed women and teens or someone entirely new to snorkel.

Regards,

This came from a Victoria Smithson from Finis

Sherry

Last edited by jenson1a : 06-26-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: need to add this
Old 06-26-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
need to add thisSorry

Found an email address for Finis and just received this reply.

Victoria Smithson

Today at 11:16 AM

ToSherry Jenson

sojomojo Your explanation was a lot better than the one I got! Thank you

Good morning
The only difference between the Jr and Sr snorkels is the length of the tube. The jr is shorter by about 2 inches to make it easier top draw a breathe for smaller framed women and teens or someone entirely new to snorkel.

Regards,

This came from a Victoria Smithson from Finis

Sherry
Sherry:

I got the Swimmer's Snorkel, adult. Off hand I would say that as a better (higher) floater, you'd do ok with a shorter tube, i.e. Junior. I had a horrible time at first -- I float so low that the tip of the tube has very little leeway. A slight roll of the head to the left or right and the tip was underwater. Also, the design is optimised for "normal" swimmers, i.e. non-TI, who normally face a little forward, unlike us TI's who face directly down to the bottom of the pool, which tends to make the tube tip, which is angled over the forehead and rearwards over the top of your scalp, pitch forward with the tip underwater. Or it did with me. Of course, to this was added a little lack of discipline -- sometimes on the hand entry my shoulder plunge would drag my neck and head a little deeper than the prescribed mean position. I would get away with this in regular swimming, and I wouldn't notice, but with a snorkel I'd get a mouthful of water again.

I eventually heated the tube and bent it to a better position, and learned a little snorkel swimming discipline and I'm ok now.

However, having the longer tube wouldn't really hurt, and might make the learning curve somewhat easier if it turns out that you flop your head around when you swim, despite your higher floating position.
Old 06-27-2015

jenson1a

sclim

Tks for the advice. From what you have said, it sounds as if in addition to a breathing aid, it can also give some feedback on some basic skills (like head position)

Sherry
Old 06-28-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
sclim

Tks for the advice. From what you have said, it sounds as if in addition to a breathing aid, it can also give some feedback on some basic skills (like head position)

Sherry
Oh yes, it sure gave me some feedback in head position lol!!