Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015

jenson1a

ZT

You said:

You are not really comfortable in the water. You are afraid off letting the upperbody and haed sink in the water.
I say start again with a floating supported feeling and go for the snorkel to stay relaxed, Swim slow and concentrate on the supported feel of the water while adding some swimming movements.

Not sure how you got that feeling. Truth is that I have a hard time sinking or staying underwater. It is very hard for me to push my head or chest down. I can float either on face or back with hands overhead and with relative ease. When I push off the side, I don't go very far underwater==float to the top like a cork. SG is a piece of cake. Of course this is all passive. Maybe I am not understanding your comment correctly?

As far as the 2bk, reaching for air, and core connection, I believe both you and MJM are correct. The first 20 minutes of my swim are usually done with relative ease. After that it seems that I lose focus. It is then that I try to do something totally different--like turns, or swimming very short distances breathing only on the left. Anything that takes my mind off my immediate problems. After 10 minutes or so, I go back to what I was trying to originally accomplish. If that goes well, I continue, If not, then I just call it quits. Not sure if that is the right approach.

Sherry
Old 03-28-2015

jenson1a

Talvi

Regarding video--haven't had time to edit out all the dead spots in the last few videos I shot. Water at that time was a little murky. Having problems with finding the right camera setting to be able to see what I am doing as far as 70 feet away. Actual swim time that is available, is like gold. Hard to justify fiddling with camera to figure out what works and what doesn't. Their underwater setting is more for snorkeling than lap swimming. Right now I am just using the default setting.

Regarding coaches--why are there so few coaches listed on the "Get Coached" tab? It seems like there sb more.

Sherry

btw I get a kick out of some posters who say they would like to interview several coaches (TI that is) so they can find the right one. Fat chance at that!
Old 03-28-2015

Janos

Hi Sherry,

I seem to recall watching your swimming video from a while ago, and noticing that your balance and head position were very good indeed. I can sense your frustration at not improving further.

Reading between the lines of your previous posts, I feel that you already have the knowledge to improve, you have just been going off on a tangent, by trying everything, instead of focusing on improving with a few quality drills, and sticking at them.

As your balance is perfect, you have no need for those sort of drills, so I would focus on propulsion.

I would start each session with breaststroke. You need to feel the sensation of applying power and gaining momentum. So perhaps fifteen minutes of getting your stroke count down as low as possible. To do this, you will have to really focus on streamline after you kick, and watch the tiles glide past, while focusing on next stroke. Noticing all the time, that anything you do with your arms or legs that is out of sequence sends your stroke count up and slows you down too. I would suggest that from a normal push off, not a racing breaststroke start that you need to aim for between 10-12 spl to start really getting the sensations you need to carry over to freestyle.
When you start your freestyle session, do one lap wholestroke, and then see how many superman glides it takes you to get back. You can use this as a measure of your improvement.

I think you have it exactly right when you mentioned the dryland drill about extending hand in the air and then turning hips as a solution to your swim times.

To apply that theory in your freestyle, do not barrel roll when you rotate as you swim, but extend leading arm and kick at the same time (but play with the timing as you progress) in a forward horizontal motion, which is the extending of the hand part of the dryland drill, and when you see that your arm is nearly fully extended turn your hip to back this movement up. This last movement is applied against the catch hand. You need to work on this and get the feeling of forward momentum from each stroke that you got from breaststroke.
Old 03-28-2015

Zenturtle

HI Sherry.
yes you are definetly not a sinker,and maybe thats whats making your core so lazy.
You can almost swim only using your arms, and thats what you are doing most of the time.
Someone who has sinking legs kicks more to keep the legs up and is usually used to this effort level.
If you are a buoyant and horizontal floater you can start your stroke from a superman position with the legs just floating and using only the arms.
When swimming this way even floaters get into trouble. Its hard to swim with only the arms, and when you get tired you start to push down, legs sink and its gets even harder.
After a while it starts too look like a beginner bobbing up and down, and reaching for air with the head.
Thats not looking like a swimmers who is hugging the water, but someone who doesnt like the water, or doesnt like to get the hair wet, is afraid of the water.

Kicking for you is not to get the legs up, but to activate the core and give the body some straightline tone, tautness or how you want to call it.
Just try to get a little kicking action and see what it does for your bodyline.
This is not a one session fix. Like you , I can get away with little kicking in theory,and iits as if the body thinks, pfff, al that kicking, lets do as little as possible.
Its going fine like it is now, using only the arms and pull the lifeless rest forward.
But thats a downhill path thats going nowhere. You have to have some rhytmical connected core action going during the stroke to make it work.
Doesnt have to be big ampitude, but the basic muscle action has to be there. If you shut it off, the stroke gradually will fall apart.
Still, even little kicking can feel like relatively hard work for a lazy floaters core, buts thats because its not used to any.
In the end, swimming more assisted from core and kick gives a better platform to utilize the arm action.

I see you breathe a lot out just before or while you take a breath.
Thats almost like holding your breath and also gives the rushed impression of not lliking to lean in the water at the front. Let more of the breath go during the stroke before taking the next.
A snorkel can break this breathing habit, makes it more logical to keep the head still and to focus on the rest of your stroke.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 03-28-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2015

jenson1a

Janos and Zenturtle

Thank you both for taking the time for the detailed posts. I am going to shift my priorities to focus on core, both on land and water. Not sure if I can manage the breast stroke as the kick seems to aggravate my hips. But there are other streamline activities that I can do.

Zt=thanks for the breathing tip. I always wondered if I exhaled too much. Not sure if I do this because I am getting tired or the forceful exhale is making me tired. Am using a snorkel occasionally but will do more of this.

Your advice seems to fit in with MJM's advice also and thanks again

Sherry