Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013

dougalt

CoachDavidShen,
Thanks for posting the videos by Coaches Todd, Mandy and Stuart.
They make the 2-beat kick process crystal clear!
Doug
Old 09-15-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
when you are swimming at higher tempos, you cannot wait for the leg to float back - you'll have to bring it back and hence working the rear of the leg (ie. glutes, hamstrings) to bring the leg back to straight and ready for the next kick.
David's right that the upbeat is dynamic. Letting the leg 'float' to the surface won't work--not least because it's nearly all muscle and bone, stuff that doesn't float.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to actively lift it either. My experience has been that if I maintain active 'tone. from abs to upper leg, body rotation takes care of it.

What do I mean by tone? Both abs and glutes need to be turned on at probably a 20% level of activation FULL TIME as you swim. It's a conscious process at first; over time it becomes wired in. When it does the 2BK becomes far better tuned to your weight shifts.

Try the following to bring to a conscious level: Squeeze butt cheeks together lightly as you swim crawl--as if squeezing a (very small) hard-boiled egg between them. See if you feel a greater sense of connection between upper and lower body.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 09-16-2013

Rajan

The concept of squeezing butt cheeks is new to me. Can somebody please guide me squeezing of butt is to be done only at the time of kicking or at all times during the swimming from one end to other end. Further it is not clear to me what does 20% level of activation Full Time mean.

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
David's right that the upbeat is dynamic. Letting the leg 'float' to the surface won't work--not least because it's nearly all muscle and bone, stuff that doesn't float.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to actively lift it either. My experience has been that if I maintain active 'tone. from abs to upper leg, body rotation takes care of it.

What do I mean by tone? Both abs and glutes need to be turned on at probably a 20% level of activation FULL TIME as you swim. It's a conscious process at first; over time it becomes wired in. When it does the 2BK becomes far better tuned to your weight shifts.

Try the following to bring to a conscious level: Squeeze butt cheeks together lightly as you swim crawl--as if squeezing a (very small) hard-boiled egg between them. See if you feel a greater sense of connection between upper and lower body.
Old 09-16-2013

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
The concept of squeezing butt cheeks is new to me. Can somebody please guide me squeezing of butt is to be done only at the time of kicking or at all times during the swimming from one end to other end. Further it is not clear to me what does 20% level of activation Full Time mean.
By "full time" Terry means all of the time you are swimming. Not just when kicking. All of the time. Constant squeeze.

Clench your fist as hard as you can as if you're trying to crush a stone. That's 100% activation.

Now clench your fist as if trying to crush a grape (*). That's about 20% activation.

Same thing with your butt.

Some (a lot of?) people can't consciously activate their glutes because they sit down all day. There are little exercises like side-lying clams to reactivate the neural pathways.

(*) http://youtu.be/xWksoZx0324?t=22s

Last edited by bx : 09-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2013

Rajan

Thanks. Got it

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
By "full time" Terry means all of the time you are swimming. Not just when kicking. All of the time. Constant squeeze.

Clench your fist as hard as you can as if you're trying to crush a stone. That's 100% activation.

Now clench your fist as if trying to crush a grape. That's about 20% activation.

Same thing with your butt.

Some (a lot of?) people can't consciously activate their glutes because they sit down all day. There are little exercises like side-lying clams to reactivate the neural pathways.
Old 09-25-2013

SarahT

The image of holding a grape between my butt-cheeks while swimming (Terry + bx) totally worked for me -- Thanks so much! My streamline could probably have been even better, though, if it hadn't been for the giggling...