Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012

rcrawford2@verizon.net

Once again, nice work Coach Stuart, now how about Terry? Great stuff.
Old 04-15-2012

Ladyfish
Default Hoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Ladyfish,

What is a magnifier hood?

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Westy,

Here is a link. It isn't cheap (about $80), but it lets you see your video playback much more easily on small displays outdoors.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3...4529407&sr=8-1
Old 04-15-2012

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
[W]ith correct body position and its precise timing, you get the EVF as a consequence - without having to think about its placement. UW recovery arm will find its leverage.

Here's "Six frames of Shinji", front view, taken from his Before/After TI video from 0:32. At risk of being cliche', six frames are worth a thousand words
In Frame 2, I see Shinji bending his elbow on his pulling arm, and in Frame 3, his hand (and fingertips) are directly below his elbow. It seems to me that unless he were thinking about rotating the elbow just a bit (or "sending the elbow over the hand") (see post #4 above), his hand would not be below his elbow in Frame 3, it would be well to the inside (directly below the mid-line of his chest).

Anyway, I've got it in my mind that to keep the hand wide, you need to consciously make that elbow adjustment.

Earl
Old 04-16-2012

andyinnorway

I am with Terry on EVF now. After considerable thought and effort, and some forum posts on trying to achieve it, I feel I have a good understanding of what it takes but do not think it is optimal for my current level of swimming.

The best analogy I can think of is that high elbow early vertical forearm is the equivalent of Roger Federer's backhand. Its a wonderful thing to look at but has certain demands beyond the limits of most tennis players. Nadal, Agassi etc have done very well with a 'compromised' two handed backhand, and for the vast majority of club, county and even national players a two handed backhand is a smart strategy to adopt.

If I was stuck trying to get my mile swim time down from 21 to 20 minutes I may look at EVF again, but at 28-29 minutes EVF doesn't need to be my focus. I want a catch that takes care of itself, keeps me moving forward and avoids shoulder stress.

Haven't said all that its still fascinating to experiment with it and try to learn it, just don't think its necessary for faster swimming.