Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-22-2012
CoachSuzanne CoachSuzanne is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,453
CoachSuzanne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butiki View Post
I know, right. That's why I said it blows my mind. But more specifically, it goes against the grain of what TI teaches. But, whether it's there in the video or not, no one can deny the fact that Shinji himself says he does it consciously. Moreover, he actually teaches this twisting motion to his more advanced students. The TI-norm "roll like a log" is reserved for beginners, which is understandable.

I hope Shinji replies again and explains in more detail what he meant.
But if you watch the video...he's not twisting. He may feel like it, but hips & shoulder rotation match very closely. What does "twist" are the legs from the hips down. Both feet/heels remain near the surface...but follow those legs up adn the hips are rotated to closely match the shoulders. deviation in timing could only be noted with a frame by frame analysis.
__________________
Suzanne Atkinson, MD
Level 3 USAT Coach
USA Paralympic Triathlon Coach
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-25-2012
Alex-SG Alex-SG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 415
Alex-SG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachShinjiT View Post
..... I regard TI swim as an art. So I practice TI swim in artistic way. It must be different from TI coaches who are triathletes or masters swimmers.
CoachSHINJI,
Many thanks for contributing to this thread. I fully agree with your statement above. I also practice TI in an artistic way, I am really impressed by elegant and efficient swimmers even if they are not the first out of the water in a Triathlon.

As you say it was important to hear from you directly about key areas of your TI Stroke.
Thank you also to everyone else for the very relevant and expert comments.

There are a few really important points that came out of this thread such as different styles of 2BK (Snap Kick vx Scissor kick) and advanced techniques to improve propulsion and acceleration. The photo of the bow wave is amazing, when I look at it I really think I am for sure lifting my head to breathe.

I really wish I could attend the advanced workshop and learn all this.

I also wanted to go back to Coach Susanne's Video and point out a really nice sequence of Terry swimming [12sec-20sec]. This top view really shows the meaning of perfectly synchronized Catch and "Holding the water" while the body rotates around the anchor hand. The really nice tiny 2BK is also a pleasure to watch. I really hope one day I can get something that looks this.

ALEX
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-25-2012
rcrawford2@verizon.net rcrawford2@verizon.net is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
rcrawford2@verizon.net
Default Legs are "tuned."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachShinjiT View Post
Superman Glide drill worked for me. I engage my lower core then loosen joints carefully. Legs are "tuned."
Shinji,

Thanks so much for your replies and info. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by legs are "tuned."

Also, I notice on one of your SG videos that your outstretched arms have your hands held slightly above the water. When I try this it helps me engage my lower core and keep my legs at the surface indefinitely. However, I believe my legs are sinkers, if I don't keep my arms fully outstretched as ballast for my legs or put my hands slightly underwater, my legs begin to sink. I know what it feels like to press my chest on the water, have it support me, and relax. My balance just seems like a delicate "balancing act", although it has gotten better.

Thanks, Rich
__________________
finflappinflounder
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-26-2012
jtravis jtravis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 49
jtravis
Default

Coach Shinji, thanks so much for posting the still shot of your bow wave. This is a concept I have been trying to grasp. I try the exercise where I "nod" and look for the bow wave, but I can't find it. I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't exist or because I don't know what I am looking for. Now I know what to look for!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-26-2012
Butiki Butiki is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 75
Butiki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravis View Post
Coach Shinji, thanks so much for posting the still shot of your bow wave. This is a concept I have been trying to grasp. I try the exercise where I "nod" and look for the bow wave, but I can't find it. I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't exist or because I don't know what I am looking for. Now I know what to look for!
Here's another shot of a swimmer's bow wave.

Split-faced bow wave

Some hints: when you turn to breathe and you see the ceiling, your head is turned way up and hence, over-rotated, so you may not see the bow wave. Or if you don't face the ceiling and still not see the bow wave, you may be lifting your head.

From a swimmer's point of view, the bow wave looks like water rushing fast past your face, and above your head, just within your peripheral vision, you'll also see the top of the wave. The first few times you see it, especially if one of your goggles is underwater, it's really uncanny how there's air to breath with all that water rushing past. I'm better with my right breathing than my left and see it more times on that side.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-26-2012
CoachShinjiT CoachShinjiT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27
CoachShinjiT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
I really hope one day I can get something that looks this.

ALEX
Yes, you can, Alex!
__________________
========================================
Shinji Takeuchi
TI Coach & the YouTube Swimmer
Latest information for lessons:
http://swimlikeshinji.com

Shinji's swim video (No.1 worldwide on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&fmt=6
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-26-2012
CoachShinjiT CoachShinjiT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27
CoachShinjiT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford2@verizon.net View Post
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by legs are "tuned."
They are not "tensed", but "shaped". I engage lower ab muscles to do it.
By the way, there are two ways of doing Superman Glide drill. One is for freestyle, and the other is for Superman Glide itself. My "ultimate" one demonstrates the latter one.

Be careful with this drill! I heard many stories that lifeguards tried to jump into the pool to save a swimmer who is practicing Superman Glide drill. If you try to do more than 10 yards/meters, you might want to notify it to lifeguards.
__________________
========================================
Shinji Takeuchi
TI Coach & the YouTube Swimmer
Latest information for lessons:
http://swimlikeshinji.com

Shinji's swim video (No.1 worldwide on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&fmt=6
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-26-2012
CoachShinjiT CoachShinjiT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27
CoachShinjiT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravis View Post
I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't exist or because I don't know what I am looking for.
In many cases, people can create the bow wave. There are some reasons why they can not utilize it.
1) The timing: Too soon or too late to get the maximum height
2) Disturbed: uneven acceleration, tilted head position and tilted spearing
3) The gap between the surface and mouth: Too much rotation

Today we had a workshop (in US) dedicated to breathing. Everybody could create very clean bow waves and they could swim faster with using right breathing technique. It seemed my English was understandable.
__________________
========================================
Shinji Takeuchi
TI Coach & the YouTube Swimmer
Latest information for lessons:
http://swimlikeshinji.com

Shinji's swim video (No.1 worldwide on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&fmt=6

Last edited by CoachShinjiT : 02-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-26-2012
Richardsk Richardsk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,380
Richardsk
Default

Good Morning Shinji (it's morning here in Wales anyway)

Your English is understandable but I think you meant 'mouth' when you wrote 'mouse'.

It would be worth our while to learn Japanese to learn from you.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-26-2012
CoachShinjiT CoachShinjiT is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 27
CoachShinjiT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Good Morning Shinji (it's morning here in Wales anyway)

Your English is understandable but I think you meant 'mouth' when you wrote 'mouse'.
Thanks. I fixed it.
__________________
========================================
Shinji Takeuchi
TI Coach & the YouTube Swimmer
Latest information for lessons:
http://swimlikeshinji.com

Shinji's swim video (No.1 worldwide on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&fmt=6
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.